Windows 10: Change location of game bar captures?

Discus and support Change location of game bar captures? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I've tried to change the capture folder location because it is on my C: drive which has very limited space. However, when I move the folder, Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Dogrules23, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Change location of game bar captures?

I've tried to change the capture folder location because it is on my C: drive which has very limited space. However, when I move the folder, Windows just sets it to a different folder on the C: drive. My C: drive has a total of 120GB when it's empty, I'm trying to move the captures folder to a hard drive with 8TB which is plenty of space for captures. Windows just seems to not want me to move it anywhere besides the C: drive which has very limited space.

:)

Dogrules23, Feb 17, 2020

2. Changed location of captured video

Hi,

If you can no longer see the location option on the capture folder, you may restore your Game DVR Captures folder location settings. After restoring the game DVR Captures folder location settings, then you can change your Game DVR Captures folder location
    again. To do this, you may follow the steps below:

How to restore Game DVR Captures folder location settings

• Open File Explorer.
    • Browse to the Captures folder location.
    • Right-click the Captures folder and select Properties.
    • Click the Location tab.
    • Click the Restore Defaults button.
    • Click Apply.
    • Click Yes to recreate the folder in the old location.
    • Click Yes to move the content of the Captures folder to the old location, and wait a few moments.
    • Click OK.

Note: After you've completed the steps, the Captures folder will return with all its content to its default location: C:\Users\%username%\Videos\Captures.

After performing the steps above, try to change the location of your captured video.

Kindly update us with the results.

If you think this was helpful, do not hesitate to "mark it as answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Wilfred Mac, Feb 17, 2020
  3. Adjust capture settings on Windows 10 (Change capture Folder location)

Hi Hussein,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern. As you have selected root of a drive (D Change location of game bar captures? :) while changing the captures folder location and not created and selected a folder for the same. Hence, you are facing the issue. However, could you please let us know the exact
    error message you are getting while changing to default location.

I would also suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and check if you can restore default settings.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Click on Gaming > Game DVR (on the left pane).
    3. Click on Open folder under
      Save screenshots and game clips
    4. Right click on empty space and select
      Properties.
    5. Then go to Location tab and click on
      Restore Default.
    6. Click on Apply > OK >
      Yes
    7. If you still facing the issue, please try by opening
      Xbox app.
    8. Click on Settings > Game DVR.
    9. Click on Open folder under
      Saving captures
      and perform step 4, 5,

If you are able to restore default settings successfully, please follow the steps mentioned below to change Captures folder location.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Click on Gaming > Game DVR.
    3. Click on Open folder under
      Save screenshots and game clips
    4. Right click on empty space and select Properties.
    5. Then go to Location tab and click on
      Move.
    6. Browse to the new location that you prefer.
    7. Click on New folder and create a folder.
    8. Highlight same folder using left click and click on
      Select Folder.
    9. Then click on Apply > OK >
      Yes.

You may also want to refer
    Adjust capture settings on Windows 10
    for more details.

Regards.

Manjunath_H, Feb 17, 2020
  4. Dude Win User

Change location of game bar captures?

Move Location of Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10  

Hmm, its being a pita. It seems you need to do more than drag and drop. Look below and see if this helps you

How to change the Captures folder for Windows Game DVR
    In order to change the default location where your game clips and screenshots are saved on Windows 10, use the following steps:

Open File Explorer.
    Click on This PC.
    Browse the following path:

C:\Users\%username%\Videos

Right-click the Captures folder and select Properties.

Click the on the Location tab.
    Click the Move button.

Browse to the new location to store your Captures folder.
    On the top-left corner, click the New folder button.
    Name the folder Captures and press Enter.
    Select the newly created folder, and click Select Folder.

Quick Tip: Avoid selecting the root of a drive (for example, EChange location of game bar captures? :), as you will get an error message trying to restore your default settings in the future. In addition, using the default Game DVR settings, it's also possible to select a network share folder as the new location, if you have a network-attached storage (NAS) or a computer in your local network with more available storage. While this works over a Wi-Fi connection, you'll get better performance using an Ethernet (wired) network connection.
    Click Apply.
    Click Yes to confirm the move.

Click OK.
    Using these instructions, you're only changing and moving the Captures folder, and it's not necessary to relocate the Videos folder and all its content, which you may still want to keep in the same location. Once you complete the steps, Game DVR will automatically continue to save your screenshots and clips in the new location without additional configurations in Settings or in the Xbox app.

You can quickly confirm that Game DVR is using the new location on Settings > Gaming > Game DVR, and then checking the folder path for screenshots and games clips, which now should reflect the new location. Or in the Xbox app, you can go to Settings > Game DVR, and check the location for Saving captures.

Thema:

Change location of game bar captures?

1. Change location of game bar captures? - Similar Threads - Change location game

2. How to change my game bar captures folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change my game bar captures folder: Upgraded a hard drive, turns out my captures folder was on said hard drive. Now when I look at the gallery in the game bar it says there's a problem viewing captures, I need to set a new folder, but there appears to be no way to do that... ridiculous!I tried...
  3. How to change my game bar captures folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change my game bar captures folder: Upgraded a hard drive, turns out my captures folder was on said hard drive. Now when I look at the gallery in the game bar it says there's a problem viewing captures, I need to set a new folder, but there appears to be no way to do that... ridiculous!I tried...
  4. How to change my game bar captures folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Game Bar Capture Issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Game Bar Capture Issue: So i have an issue where the gamebar capture will pick up my mic, and gameplay/google just fine, but discord seems to have an issue sending the audio because when i rewatch it, anyone talking sounds distorted and quiet... any suggestions? not sure what to make the topic sorry...
  6. xbox game bar captures not moving to new location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    xbox game bar captures not moving to new location: I'm trying to make xbox game bar captures save to a 2tb hhd backup drive, instead of saving to my operating system ssd. I've tried everything i could find to do on the Microsoft support website. I've changed where new photos and videos are saved in settings to the new drive,...
  7. Changing the resolution of screen captures in Xbox Game Bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing the resolution of screen captures in Xbox Game Bar: I'm confused as any time I try to record games, the resolution is completely broken. I can't find out how to fix this issue and, to go into detail,I can see the screen in the left corner but below and to the right of it is just black boxes. I only recently discovered this...
  8. Game Bar Not Capturing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Game Bar Not Capturing: Game bar doesnt seem to work with Rogue Company. When I clip something it shows up in my captures but its usually only the audio if even that. This is the only game Ive had problems with....
  9. Xbox Game Bar / Game Capture

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Xbox Game Bar / Game Capture: Hello, I am having an issue with the Xbox Game Bar captures. I try to record 3 min. clips of events that happen in game. When I go in my files to review the video, the video does not play. Looks like a screen capture of the video and only audio plays. I have tried this...
  10. Changing the location of Xbox captures

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing the location of Xbox captures: So I wanted to change the location of my captures folder to somewhere else and accidentally changed it to "C:\Users\<username>\Videos". So I lost the "C:\Users\<username>\Videos\Captures" folder and can't relocate it anymore because of that. My captures go straight into...