Windows 10: change location of ost file

Discus and support change location of ost file in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; How do I change the location of my outlook 365 OST file from the default C: to D:\myOST I do not have room on my W10 SSD on C:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LKilch, Jan 26, 2020.

1. LKilch Win User

change location of ost file

How do I change the location of my outlook 365 OST file from the default C: to D:\myOST

I do not have room on my W10 SSD on C:

:)

LKilch, Jan 26, 2020

2. Changing the File Type on an Outlook *.OST file.

I did a stupid thing and inadvertently changed the file type of an Outlook 2016 OST file to a PDF file. I have tried to change the type of file that *.OST is used by to Outlook but Windows 10 does not let me. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks

CliveChambers1, Jan 26, 2020
  3. Why are OST files not to be shadowed

I don't want to delete the ost file. I want to delete the key in the registry which lists the ost file as one not to be shadowed.

PoulsboMike, Jan 26, 2020
  4. scopio Win User

Unable to move Outlook 16 .OST file location to D:\ drive!

Moving email accounts from old pc Windows 7 Outlook 2007 new pc with Windows 10 Pro and Office 365 Personal for a local church.
    I have been able to move the Data File for two Outlook.com Data Files to the D:\Users\username\Documents\Outlook Files folder successfully but trying to move the Data File for a BT Mail IMAP account is proving
    challenging.
    I have followed instructions in https://www.slipstick.com/outlook/config/how-to-move-the-imap-personal-folder-pst/#reuse
    which states “Use the ForcePSTPath regedit to change the default *.pst path and in Outlook 2013 and newer, the IMAP *.ost path. The ForcePSTPath key will recreate the pst files used by IMAP accounts in Outlook 2010 and up but not in earlier versions.”
    All steps below have been carried out with Office 16 closed and adding the email thru Control Panel > Mail > email accounts > Manually as I have to enter the Incoming and Outgoing mail servers, New Outlook Data File checked ports etc. I have tried to change the location for the data file location using the ForcePSTPath for a new (BT Mail) IMAP account without success;
    it still stored the data file in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\email address.ost file.
    I removed the IMAP account and deleted the data file saved in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\email address.ost file. I altered the location using the ForceOSTPath method and still the data file is saved to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\email address.ost file as shown below(red boxed)

change location of ost file [​IMG]

But in Outlook the BT email account appears as shown below plus a D:\Users\username\Documents\OutlookFiles\... ;

change location of ost file [​IMG]

I need to move the Data File for the IMAP account to D:\ drive as my SSD has a small capacity.
    Any ideas on how to move the .ost file to the D:\ drive?

scopio, Jan 26, 2020
Thema:

1. change location of ost file - Similar Threads - change location ost

2. Change file location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change file location: To Microsoft: So I was trying to change a game's location from C: to D: Windows 11, and I accidentally moved everything that I have in C: to D:, and now my C:/User/Eric, this account folder was somehow deleted. And now I can't change it back to it's original location because...
  3. Change file location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change file location: To Microsoft: So I was trying to change a game's location from C: to D: Windows 11, and I accidentally moved everything that I have in C: to D:, and now my C:/User/Eric, this account folder was somehow deleted. And now I can't change it back to it's original location because...
  4. Opening and converting Outllook. OST files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Opening and converting Outllook. OST files: Without any intervention whatsoever all my emails in Inbox have just vanished. Reading up on a way to bring them back the way to do so appears to be find where files are located, Open them and then convert to .PST files for Export to Outllook. Problem I have is locating free...
  5. OST to PST Converter Software to Convert OST to PST File

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OST to PST Converter Software to Convert OST to PST File: Toady am represent a wonderful Software for the conversion of inaccessible and disconnected OST files into Outlook PST files. keep your eyes in the post, i am revealing the name of Superlative Software- PDS OST to PST Converter. It's very reliable for non tech users because...
  6. recover a .ost file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    recover a .ost file: Earlier today i deleted my .ost file from Appdata microsoft outlook on my c drive . I was having problems with sync issues in outlook 800cccd2-0-0-733 terminated in error . i went to troubleshoot and help and it suggested deleting the .ost file for my email address and...
  7. Unable to move Outlook 16 .OST file location to D:\ drive!

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Unable to move Outlook 16 .OST file location to D:\ drive!: Moving email accounts from old pc Windows 7 Outlook 2007 new pc with Windows 10 Pro and Office 365 Personal for a local church. I have been able to move the Data File for two Outlook.com Data Files to the D:\Users\username\Documents\Outlook Files folder successfully but...
  8. Change file location

in Windows 10 Support
    Change file location: Hi All I have just changed my laptop after 10 years with my previous one. As I have done on my PC. I need to change the location of Documents, Videos, Pictures, Music and Downloads from C which is an SSD to D the HDD, now I have done this before no problem, but this time I...
  9. Change file location

in Windows 10 Support
    Change file location: Hi All I have just changed my laptop after 10 years with my previous one. As I have done on my PC. I need to change the location of Documents, Videos, Pictures, Music and Downloads from C which is an SSD to D the HDD, now I have done this before no problem, but this time I...
  10. Why are OST files not to be shadowed

in Windows 10 Support
    Why are OST files not to be shadowed: This registry key -- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToSnapshot -- includes Microsoft Office .ost file. This causes my Veritas software not to include this important file. What is the logic for excluding this file? What would be the...