Windows 10: Change maps download location to sd card

Discus and support Change maps download location to sd card in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello all. I have a Surface Go and have been trying to change the default download for offline maps to microsdxc. In settings/storage I am able change... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DCBonne, Aug 24, 2019.

1. DCBonne Win User

Change maps download location to sd card

Hello all. I have a Surface Go and have been trying to change the default download for offline maps to microsdxc. In settings/storage I am able change the default download location for music, documents, videos, apps from C: to D: (microsdxc). For offline maps when I click on the box down arrow, it just turns blue and only shows C: as an option. I have searched the web for answers, tried different cards, formatted them in ntfs and exfat, rebooted etc. In searching the web I see that the camp is split on this subject. Some say that this should be doable while a few say that Windows 10 (non mobile) does not allow maps to be on sd card. This works well on my Window 10 phone and is very straightforward. The cards that I have tried this on are Sandisk Ultra and work just fine for all other actions, acting just like another drive. Thoughts, comments?

:)

DCBonne, Aug 24, 2019
  2. farby Win User

Download of maps

Applications will remain on the phone.. Only the Maps data will be stored on the SD Card ..

As taken from the Beta Labs site..

Usage - Maps feature:

Use the switch to change the location you want to manage and download to or delete maps from that location. Steps:

• Do you see a [change] button under Maps on a device with SD card slot? If not, ensure you have a functioning card in the slot.
    • Tap [change] button
    • The 'Store maps on' -switch shows the current position, 'phone' for first time users. Leave it there and tap [maps] button. Maps Downloader will start and show the currently downloaded maps on 'phone' storage
    • Tap the three dots (...) in the lower right corner for 'delete all maps' command. Alternatively, you can delete individual maps with a long-press on the map from its context menu. Confirm map deletion and tap back arrow.
    • Now, select 'Store maps on' and pick 'SD card'
    • Tap [maps] to start Maps Downloader in that location and download the necessary maps to SD card.

By doing this, all your Maps apps, like HERE Drive+, HERE Maps and any 3rd party ones will now use the Maps on SD card.

farby, Aug 24, 2019
  3. jimwalch Win User
    Store offline maps to SD Card

I'm having the same problem; can't download maps to an SD card. I followed the steps and they work fine to download to C Drive. I've downloaded other content to the SD card with no problem.

jimwalch, Aug 24, 2019
  4. BobG0622 Win User

When will MS Fix ability to download maps to SD card?

In another thread (see Store offline maps to SD Card), there are numerous posts about the inability to change the location to store
    downloaded maps on to an internal SD card. If you go to Settings>Apps>Offline Maps, there is a setting called "Storage location - Change where you store offline maps", even in the case where there is a SD card in the internal slot of the MS Surface Pro with
    the most current version of the OS (Version 1803, Build 17134.191, just updated yesterday) you can't change the location away from C:.

The forum moderator indicated that this is a known issue and that MS is working it. Is that correct? The posts above go back over a year. Any idea if MS intends to fix this?

BobG0622, Aug 24, 2019
Thema:

1. Change maps download location to sd card - Similar Threads - Change maps download

2. OneDrive Location for Speed Advice re SD Card

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive Location for Speed Advice re SD Card: Hi Guys Have a Dell Laptop and when i got it i added a 200 GB SDXC Card to use as my Cloud location. OneDrice , Dropbox etc. I have found recently the Sync / Download seems very slow. I have my download folder in OneDrive so all my Pcs point to that area to avoid duplicate...
  3. Can't download from SD card

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't download from SD card: I have been downloading pictures from a trail camera with no problem until yesterday and now when I try to download pictures I get a notation stating "make sure your device is unlocked and that you accept the notification to connect". I have a feeling that my wife might of...
  4. Nothing will download to SD card

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Nothing will download to SD card: Hey! I recently got an SD card for my HP laptop. It only had 29GB of storage and Windows took up most of the storage, leaving me with only Netflix. Due to this the laptop was also extremely slow it wasn't my wifi, I tried it at multiple peoples houses. I put in the SD Card...
  5. Offline maps will not stay on SD card after moving

in Windows 10 Customization
    Offline maps will not stay on SD card after moving: Windows phone says it is moving my off line maps to my SD card but shortly after, they are back on the device which is then complaining about low storage - why?...
  6. SD card download and play

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SD card download and play: how do I download and play a video from an SD card? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sd-card-download-and-play/7fcc1484-684c-45af-b36c-753824e8f2b3
  7. How to download update to SD card?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to download update to SD card?: I haven't enough memory in mini laptop but it has an SD slot. Yesterday I tried the update and an option popped up to use external memory. Now I have inserted the SD card but I can't find the update settings to select the external drive. It isn't popping up the way it did...
  8. unable to change storage location for maps

in Windows 10 Customization
    unable to change storage location for maps: I would like to use the maps app. However, this laptop lacks enough memory to store the offline map data on the SSD. Under settings – app – offline maps there is a heading “Storage Location” for changing the location to store offline maps. Unfortunately, I have been unable to...
  9. When will MS Fix ability to download maps to SD card?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When will MS Fix ability to download maps to SD card?: In another thread (see https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings-winpc/store-offline-maps-to-sd-card/8c1f4482-487a-4734-a019-6f37cacb6987?auth=1), there are numerous posts about the inability to change the location to store downloaded maps on...
  10. Downloading pics via SD card?

in Windows 10 Support
    Downloading pics via SD card?: I'm new to Windows10. The first time I D/l images via SD, they gave me a menu so I could send my pics to the correct place. Today when I d/l some images via SD card, the menu didn't come up. It simply did the same way as before. I'd like to try some of the other choices. How...