Windows 10: Change Microsoft Account linked to my local account - Windows 10

Discus and support Change Microsoft Account linked to my local account - Windows 10 in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Issue:I have a microsoft account linked to my local account on my windows 10 computer. I don't remember the password. I've tried resetting it where MS... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by CraigO123, May 12, 2021.

1. CraigO123 Win User

Change Microsoft Account linked to my local account - Windows 10

Issue:I have a microsoft account linked to my local account on my windows 10 computer. I don't remember the password. I've tried resetting it where MS reviews information I've submitted to verify it's me. They say they can't verify my ID so I want to link my local ID with a new MS ID. How do I do that?

:)

CraigO123, May 12, 2021
  2. Zakin Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Change Microsoft Account linked to my local account - Windows 10 :(

Zakin, May 12, 2021
  3. Kari Win User
    Change Microsoft Account Details in Administrator Account

Hi Daryl, welcome to the Ten Forums.

It's quite easy in fact, simply switch the account in question first to a local account, then switch back to a Microsoft account, this time using your wife's MS account credentials.

Tutorials:
    Notice that before doing this you need to remove the new additional MS account on the PC, the one you created with her credentials. Windows allows only one user account for each email address, if the new account exists you cannot switch the original administrator account to an MS account using the same email address. Tutorial: User Account - Delete in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

4. Kari Win User

Creating a MS account without losing Local account

Go to https://account.microsoft.com, click Create account and fill the form:

Change Microsoft Account linked to my local account - Windows 10 [​IMG]

With a Microsoft account you can then use OneDrive and Office Online apps for free. You can also use built-in native Windows apps which require a Microsoft account like Mail, Skype Preview, People, Calendar and download apps from Windows Store.

See steps 3 to 5 in this tutorial to continue using local account as Windows sign-in account even when / if you download apps from store and / or use Windows apps requiring a Microsoft account, to avoid Windows user account converting to Microsoft account: Store - Use when Signing in to Windows 10 with Local Account - Windows 10 Forums

Other tutorials you might be interested in when you have created a Microsoft account:

Thema:

1. Change Microsoft Account linked to my local account - Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Microsoft Account

2. Can't change local account to microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change local account to microsoft account: I couldn't sign into the xbox app and widgets said I wasn't online, so i changed my admin microsoft account to a local account. When trying to change it back to a microsoft account i always get: Oops something went wrong. When i try to sign into my account via browser it...
  3. How to link a Microsoft Account to a Local Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to link a Microsoft Account to a Local Account: I have a very weird scenario and the only thing I can think of is that Microsoft released an update which screwed this all up. Here's my scenario: I have two laptops that I causally use for specific tasks. One of them I just picked up, while the other I've had for a few...
  4. How can I change the Microsoft account linked to my local account?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How can I change the Microsoft account linked to my local account?: I want to use the Microsoft Family Safety application to monitor my kid's computer usage, but when setting up his computer, I used my own email account. Now I want to change it. I've been looking for ways to change it without having to create an entirely new user but I...
  5. Windows 10 - My local admin account is wrongly linked to my son's microsoft account No...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 - My local admin account is wrongly linked to my son's microsoft account No...: Hi, I have windows 10 installed and used a local admin account. I recently add my son who's 10 years old on to my account. For some reason, now my local admin account is now associated with my son's microsoft account. So, all of my local files and the users folder is...
  6. Linking local account to Microsoft account on Win Pro

in Windows 10 Customization
    Linking local account to Microsoft account on Win Pro: Hi, just installed new PC and have following issue: - I do not see option on account tab to link my local account to Microsoft account ("sing in with Microsoft Account instead") - As note - I can add Microsoft accounts of family members including me. - I also do not see...
  7. Cannot link/add my Microsoft Account to Local Account

Cannot link/add my Microsoft Account to Local Account: Hello, after a Windows Reset i got a message: "you need to fix your microsoft account for apps on your other devices to be able to launch apps" So i deleted and ulinked my Microsoft Account and converted my User as Local User and not a Microsoft Account user. The problem...
  8. Change Microsoft account to Local account for logon

Change Microsoft account to Local account for logon: Hello new to these forums and to Windows 10 in general - Windows 7 reasonably OK with. I bought a new laptop running Windows 10 Home 64 bit, and the initial setup left me with my Microsoft account and password as my sign in and my User folder as the first 5 letters of my...
  9. Cannot link Microsoft Account to Local Account

Cannot link Microsoft Account to Local Account: I just updated to Windows 10 and the account I migrated from Windows 7 won't let me link my Microsoft account. Windows Store crashes when I click Sign In, and any other button that would bring up a dialog box is just unresponsive (Cortana, User Settings, ect.) I've created...
  10. Unable to link Microsoft Account to my Local Account

Unable to link Microsoft Account to my Local Account: Hi all, When I click on the link to associate my Microsoft Account to my Local Account (after upgrading from Windows 7), it simply does nothing. Click, click, click. Similarly, when I try to log in the Windows store app, I get an application error with cryptic codes...