Windows 10: Change microsoft account used for PC login

Discus and support Change microsoft account used for PC login in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello,I've two different Microsoft accounts and want to delete 1 of them.My Microsoft app activations e.g. Office2016 Pro are connected to Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by VincentCops, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Change microsoft account used for PC login

Hello,I've two different Microsoft accounts and want to delete 1 of them.My Microsoft app activations e.g. Office2016 Pro are connected to Microsoft account 1.Since I can't transfer these activations to another Microsoft account Is this right ?, I suppose I have to keep Microsoft account 1.My Windows user account on my PC is connected to Microsoft account 2.Is it possible to change this and connect this same Windows user account to Microsoft account 1 ?I want to avoid creating a new Windows user account with all settings from scratch, data transfer, ... ?Thank you.

:)

VincentCops, Feb 16, 2022

2. how to change local account to Microsoft account

Hi Linda,

To change your login settings from local account to Microsoft account, please follow the steps below:

• Click on Start menu and select Accounts.
    • Select Your email and accounts and click on Sign in with a Microsoft account instead.
    • Type the details for your Microsoft Account.
    • Reboot the PC for the changes to take effect.

Let us know the result.

Rafael Com, Feb 16, 2022
  3. Unable to Login to the Laptop Using Microsoft Account Password.

Hi Dane,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To have better clarity on the issue, answer the below-listed questions and get back to us.

1. Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?
    2. Do you have any other Administrator User Accounts in your computer?
    3. What is the complete error message that you get when trying to login to your laptop?
    4. If you are using a Microsoft Account, are you able to login to
      login.live.com
      ?

Try the below steps and see if this helps.

Step 1: Once you are at the login screen, click on the
    Ease Of Access
    icon on the bottom right corner of the login screen and click on
    On-Screen Keyboard.

Step 2: Once the On-Screen Keyboard is up and running, type the correct password using the
    On-Screen Keyboard and see if you are able to login to your computer.

Also, try to change the Keyboard Layout From the Login Screen and see if this helps.

For references, you may also go through the steps mentioned in
    When you can't sign in to your Microsoft account

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Shafeeq_Khan, Feb 16, 2022
  4. Tenforo Active Member

Change microsoft account used for PC login

What is the point of using a Microsoft account as a login for a computer?

I'm not certain why you bothered to answer my question -- since you did not.

You provided 3 points:

• Microsoft account FAQ

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/account/faq.aspx

This link explains what a Microsoft account is, how to get one, security and privacy. This applies only to logins into Microsoft systems (webpages, onedrive) BUT NOT to logins into my own machine -- and this is what my questions was all about
    • One account for all things Microsoft

http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/account/default.aspx

This is a link to manage ones Microsoft account. Again it has nothing to do with the login into my own machine
    • Andre Da Costa

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-account/3f710ffb-fc8e-406c-8bcc-e43c5d48bb32

This applies to how to install and/or setup windows 10. This site even says, that the advantage of using a Microsoft account to login into once PC is that one can synchronize settings over multiple PCs. So this link does say something about using a Microsoft
      account to login into once PC. But it does not answer my question (or most points of it):
    • What is my motivation for using a Microsoft account to login into my PC?
      • OK -- synchronize settings over multiple PCs as said in the Adre Da Costa link. This is one point you pro vided -- thanks!
      • but I've still to login multiple times into every webpage and every Microsoft software again, despite already having provided my Microsoft password when logging into the PC. So again, I don't understand why I should login using a Microsoft account.
      • the Microsoft account password does not propagate to the PC after having been changed. I tried different ways of changing it:
        • starting online on some Microsoft webpage
        • starting from "user accounts" control panel (which also works via some Microsoft webpage)

and the change of password never propagated to my machine

Potentially this breaks the synching of settings, as the computer cannot provide the correct password anymore (assuming that this is checked later -- but this would mean asynchron check of the password instead when entering -- with all its crazy effects

• Please also consider, that the change of Microsoft account password not propagating to my machine made me believe, that my machine is either hacked or corrupted and I deleted the local account and recreated it, loosing some files despite I've clicked, preserve
      files.

Tenforo, Feb 16, 2022
Thema:

Change microsoft account used for PC login

1. Change microsoft account used for PC login - Similar Threads - Change microsoft account

2. Change microsoft account used for PC login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change microsoft account used for PC login: Hello,I've two different Microsoft accounts and want to delete 1 of them.My Microsoft app activations e.g. Office2016 Pro are connected to Microsoft account 1.Since I can't transfer these activations to another Microsoft account Is this right ?, I suppose I have to keep...
  3. Changing Login PIN without microsoft account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Changing Login PIN without microsoft account: I bought my work computer from my employer when I left the company. Recently, my 5yo son has been making unauthorized purchases. I thought I would make him a new account with parental controls to prevent this going forward. I can change the password, but unfortunately he can...
  4. Changing Login PIN without microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing Login PIN without microsoft account: I bought my work computer from my employer when I left the company. Recently, my 5yo son has been making unauthorized purchases. I thought I would make him a new account with parental controls to prevent this going forward. I can change the password, but unfortunately he can...
  5. Unable to login OR RDP using Microsoft Account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to login OR RDP using Microsoft Account: Hi Everyone,I have three computers that were set up using my Microsoft Account. Recently I tried to RDP into one of them and I can't. I tried both the local PIN and my Microsoft Account password. Both resulted in "The logon attempt failed". I experienced this in the past and...
  6. My Windows PC uses an old microsoft account, is it possible to change the microsoft account...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    My Windows PC uses an old microsoft account, is it possible to change the microsoft account...: Title. I first noticed this attempting to use the "Your Phone" feature, when I noticed that the personal microsoft account I use on my phone, Xbox and everywhere else differed to the one my PC uses - it's one I made years ago and don't use for anything else. So, is there...
  7. Changed Microsoft account email adress, can't login to PC

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Changed Microsoft account email adress, can't login to PC: So I changed my email adress added a new one, changed to primary and removed the old one for my Microsoft account using my laptop. Everything worked fine there. Now I want to log in to my desktop machine and it won't let me because it's still linked to my old email adress....
  8. Microsoft Account - changing the login mail account?

Microsoft Account - changing the login mail account?: My mail address is going away; it is my Microsoft Account login id. How do I change it? I have already added the new address and made it my primary address Dave NB Finding a Category for this wasn't necessarily simple...
  9. Change Windows 10 Login, Not Microsoft Account Login

Change Windows 10 Login, Not Microsoft Account Login: Hello, I have seen this question asked over the last few years, but have no seen a satisfactory answer. I want to change the password I use to log into Windows 10 on my laptop. This password is different from my Microsoft Account password. I do not want to change my...
  10. Changed Microsoft Account Password Does not Change PC Login Password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Changed Microsoft Account Password Does not Change PC Login Password: I have three Win 10 PC's (desktop, laptop, Surface) that all have the admin login account set up through a common Microsoft Hotmail account. I changed to a new password on my Hotmail account, but the old Hotmail password is still used for logins to my three PC's. How do I...