Windows 10: Change Modern File Explorer back to the old version look

Discus and support Change Modern File Explorer back to the old version look in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I have searched the tutorials here but cannot find an answer, hoping that someone here can help. A few days ago I created a new Win 10 install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Railtech, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Railtech Win User

Change Modern File Explorer back to the old version look

So I have searched the tutorials here but cannot find an answer, hoping that someone here can help.

A few days ago I created a new Win 10 install flash drive using the MS Media Creation tool and made a clean install of Win 10 Pro. In setting up my new Windows 10 I needed to use File Explorer numerous times to locate driver files etc. Opening File Explorer I noticed a completely different look than I was accustomed to but managed to locate what I needed to finish setup. Now I wish to change this new Explorer look back to the old look but more than just the look, I need the functionality returned to Explorer that was available in the old version.

I did some research and find that MS has introduced what is called a Modern Explorer which is an unwanted change at least for me in how Explorer displays content and ultimately the functionality that is missing because of this change. This functionality such as having direct access to Network for example is nowhere to be found and although you can access it by typing Network in the address bar, is way less functional, way more time consuming, and quite frankly is a PIA!

I for one do not need MS trying to make things look and feel all fuzzy and warm! That stuff is NOT for the enthusiasts among us at least it was not the last time I checked!

So how do I disable this ridiculous new Modern look and return to the old?

:)

Railtech, Feb 12, 2021
  2. Paolo Mag Win User

"This file can't be previewed" problem in explorer

Hi Deborah,

For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Since when have you been experiencing this issue?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Access this link

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    • Delete all the files.
    • After deleting the files kindly try and see if there's a thumbnail preview of your files.

We're looking forward to your response.

Paolo Mag, Feb 12, 2021
  3. Louie Del Win User
    Modern setup host

Hi Hermie,

Regarding your concern with the deleted Modern Setup Host file, we’d like to ask the following questions so we can isolate it at the same time:

• What particular action that you’re trying to perform at the time that it was accidentally deleted.?
    • May we know where and how it was deleted on your computer?
    • Were you able to check if the deleted file can be found in the
      Recycle bin?

As an initial step, we suggest that perform a DISM command. This will help repairing possible system file corruptions. Follow these steps:

• Type command in the search box.
    • Right-click on the result and select Run as administrator.
    • Type this command: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    • Press Enter.
    • Close the Command Prompt windows and check if changes were made related to the Modern Setup Host file.

We'll wait for your update after trying the steps.

Louie Del, Feb 12, 2021
  4. John Ado Win User

File Explorer resetting to Details after Anniversary Update

Hi,

Let's get this sorted out. We suggest you try these troubleshooting steps:

• Start the Windows in clean boot. To do this, follow the steps
      here
    • Once in clean boot environment, change the settings again to set it back to
      List
      . Normally, changing the view style in the bottom right of the window and exiting File Explorer should do the trick. The next time you open File Explorer, it should default to the last view style selected.
    • If the issue persist, let's run SFC scan to look for corrupted files. Here's
      how
    • Restart the computer normally.

Share with us the results.

Thanks.

John Ado, Feb 12, 2021
Thema:

1. Change Modern File Explorer back to the old version look - Similar Threads - Change Modern File

2. Go Back to File Explorer Last Version

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Go Back to File Explorer Last Version: Hai Guys,the new update in windows 11 patch november 2023, created new file explorer viewif i need old view file explorer before last update november 2023, without deleting the latest updates. have information ? because my team not like with the new file explorer viewfor your...
  3. Go Back to File Explorer Last Version

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Go Back to File Explorer Last Version: Hai Guys,the new update in windows 11 patch november 2023, created new file explorer viewif i need old view file explorer before last update november 2023, without deleting the latest updates. have information ? because my team not like with the new file explorer viewfor your...
  4. I want my old File Explorer back...

I want my old File Explorer back...: Since updating, my file explorer is a mess. I can't find any of my files unless I used them recently. I've just wasted an hour trying to get it back to normal with none of the 'fixes' on the internet working. I can't see how this upgrade is beneficial and better than the old...
  5. Help for restoring the old version of File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help for restoring the old version of File Explorer.: This is the worst update they made for File Explorer. The 23H2 Update killed the drag and drop in File Explorer's Address Bar.I'm one of those people who drags and drop files through the address bar as part of my work. That feature is very useful and necessary for my work but...
  6. Help for restoring the old version of File Explorer.

Help for restoring the old version of File Explorer.: This is the worst update they made for File Explorer. The 23H2 Update killed the drag and drop in File Explorer's Address Bar.I'm one of those people who drags and drop files through the address bar as part of my work. That feature is very useful and necessary for my work but...
  7. F12 modern look ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    F12 modern look ?: I am using F12 to switch my two different SDD with Windows 10 and KDE Plasma. the look of the BIOS boot menu does look kinda ancient ha ha any way to make it more modern ?...
  8. windows file explorer looking weird how to change it back

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows file explorer looking weird how to change it back: so i recently reinstalled windows update and my file explorer looks like this https://prnt.sc/sygi6e how would i go about to make it look like back to this https://prnt.sc/sygioe...
  9. A closer look at Windows 10’s new modern File Explorer

in Windows 10 News
    A closer look at Windows 10’s new modern File Explorer: The latest version of Windows 10X Emulator, which was shipped yesterday for developers, comes with a beta version of modern File Explorer. The new File Explorer is still in its early days and it has been built from the ground up to be fully optimized for modular Windows 10...
  10. Here’s our first look at Windows 10’s modern File Explorer

in Windows 10 News
    Here’s our first look at Windows 10’s modern File Explorer: In 2017, Microsoft introduced Fluent Design and slowly many key areas of Windows 10 were updated with the new design language refresh. As part of the Fluent Design approach, Microsoft updated numerous applications such a Groove Music, Mail & Calendar, Movies & TV, Calendar,...