Windows 10: change my hard disk drive letter from I: to D: ?

Discus and support change my hard disk drive letter from I: to D: ? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I did: Search Windows > Create and format hard disk partitions > Selected clicked on drive I: > Right mouse click > Change drive letter and Paths... >... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Chocolade, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Chocolade Win User

change my hard disk drive letter from I: to D: ?

I did: Search Windows > Create and format hard disk partitions > Selected clicked on drive I: > Right mouse click > Change drive letter and Paths... > Change > Assign the following drive letter:

In the list of letters I have B G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

My internal dvd burner was assigned to D: but I changed it's letter to F:
    Now I tried to change the hard disk I: to D: but i'm getting error: The parameter is incorrect

change my hard disk drive letter from I: to D: ? [​IMG]

This is the whole Disk Management screenshot:

And this is a screenshot of my desktop:

What I want to do is that I: will be D:
    But i'm getting this error.

:)

Chocolade, Jul 3, 2018
  2. Ron Carr Win User

Cannot change drive letter

I have 6 disk drives that show up in Disk manager as 8 drive letters.

D: seems to be available, but i could not change J: to D:.

Did a Command Prompt search and there is a D: drive, not listed in Disk management.

Can't attach screen shots it seems...

I really need to change J: to D:: I have a Carbonite backup with 204 GB from D: drive: it will start all over if this is on a J: drive.

So, what is this phantom D: drive, how do I change it to something else, so I can change J: drive?

This is after a windows 10 re-install: just one of many headaches...

Ron

Ron Carr, Jul 3, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Partition Change Drive letter of Healthy Recovery from D to F

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

To understand the issue better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• Do you have any files in D drive?
    • Is it a recovery drive which you are trying to change the letter?
    • Are you getting any error message when you try to change the drive letter?
    Please post us back with more information to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jul 3, 2018
  4. Ron Carr Win User

Drive letter D: is not available

I found a hint in Technet, and went to the registry: D: was listed so I deleted it - turns out it was assigned to the CD drive, but why that did not show up in Disk management I have no idea. In any case, I was then able to change the drive letter, and my
    CD drive came back up as G. I also ran DriveCleanup.exe based on another note: that gets rid of drive letters that were assigned to devices no longer attached (like left-over USB assignments.

Ron

Ron Carr, Jul 3, 2018
Thema:

1. change my hard disk drive letter from I: to D: ? - Similar Threads - change hard disk

2. Drive letter changed from D: to E:

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive letter changed from D: to E:: Recently, I found an old flash drive that I had. I plugged it in my computer to see what was on it. The issue is, the flash drive I used every day wasn't plugged in, so it stole the drive letter from my main flash drive, and it jumbled everything up. Now, for most people, the...
  3. Drive letter changed from D: to E:

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drive letter changed from D: to E:: Recently, I found an old flash drive that I had. I plugged it in my computer to see what was on it. The issue is, the flash drive I used every day wasn't plugged in, so it stole the drive letter from my main flash drive, and it jumbled everything up. Now, for most people, the...
  4. Drive letter changed from D: to E: for no reason

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive letter changed from D: to E: for no reason: Recently, I found an old flash drive that I had. I plugged it in my computer to see what was on it. The issue is, the flash drive I used every day wasn't plugged in, so it stole the drive letter from my main flash drive, and it jumbled everything up. Now, for most people, the...
  5. Drive letter changed from D: to E: for no reason

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drive letter changed from D: to E: for no reason: Recently, I found an old flash drive that I had. I plugged it in my computer to see what was on it. The issue is, the flash drive I used every day wasn't plugged in, so it stole the drive letter from my main flash drive, and it jumbled everything up. Now, for most people, the...
  6. Hard disk Drive D and E not visible.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard disk Drive D and E not visible.: I was out of station for a few days and now after I came back and booted my pc it was taking too long and after boot up there was only C drive visible in My explorer my D &E drives were not there. When I go into disk management the only drive that shows up is the C drive and...
  7. Hard disk Drive D and E not visible.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard disk Drive D and E not visible.: I was out of station for a few days and now after I came back and booted my pc it was taking too long and after boot up there was only C drive visible in My explorer my D &E drives were not there. When I go into disk management the only drive that shows up is the C drive and...
  8. Question on Changing Hard Drive Letter?.

Question on Changing Hard Drive Letter?.: I am running Windows 10 Home Edition, Version 20H2, OS Build 19042.985. Recently with the help of some forum members I installed a new Samsung 970EVO 1TB NVMe SSD as my "C" drive and imported all from my older 125GB Samsung SSD using the Samsung migration tool. It all went...
  9. hard disk drives D:

hard disk drives D:: i got pc and when i go look to hard disk my C: is full so how do i add D: because C: is the only 1 that i got on here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-drives-d/903f7cfd-6fd7-44ec-af8c-5761f067c088
  10. Why I can't change my hard disk drive letter from I: to D: ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why I can't change my hard disk drive letter from I: to D: ?: I did: Search Windows > Create and format hard disk partitions > Selected clicked on drive I: > Right mouse click > Change drive letter and Paths... > Change > Assign the following drive letter: In the list of letters I have B G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z My...