Windows 10: Change name of PC - Caution!

Discus and support Change name of PC - Caution! in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Win10 - 1909. My desktop PC arrived from the custom builder with a name of "DESKTOP - Alpha-String" in Windows. I wanted something simpler (for pairing... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Pollensa1946, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Change name of PC - Caution!

Win10 - 1909. My desktop PC arrived from the custom builder with a name of "DESKTOP - Alpha-String" in Windows. I wanted something simpler (for pairing with other devices) and I only have one desktop pc so changed that to "DESKTOP". I had the PC set up to boot straight to Desktop with no sign-in. The seemingly simple change of name caused Win10 to reset the boot-up sign-in procedure to require a log-on. So on restart I got an immediate pop-up saying "Wrong password, try again?". Hang on, I didn't enter any password , what is going on? I tried again with my MSoft Id and password (which fortunately I remembered) and got in. I then went to... RUN/NETPLWIZ ...and fixed my user a/c to sign in automatically. All good, but no thanks to MSoft for introducing this complexity.

:)

Pollensa1946, Dec 29, 2019

2. change windows 10 pc name

We appreciate you getting back to us. To change the cmd name, we suggest that you follow this steps:

• Open a Command Prompt (Adimin) window: Win+X, A, Alt+Y
    • Then run the following command to change your computer name to Donner: WMIC ComputerSystem where Name=COMPUTER-NAME call Rename Name=NewName
    • Reboot your PC.
    • Try to run ipconfig / all command, you should find that the Host Name in Windows IP Configuration list has been changed to the new name.

Keep us posted with the result.

Marilou Ser, Dec 29, 2019
  3. name changes??

If you desire a name change please do the following:

• Ask yourself if you really need a name change.
    • Make sure you have a good reason.
    • Know what you want your new name to be before you request a name change.
    • Send Urlyin a PM containing a decent explanation of your reason as well as your desired name.

Polaris573, Dec 29, 2019
  4. Change name of PC - Caution!

change pc name

Hi,

To change the computer name, please follow these steps:

• Click the Start button.
    • Type View advanced system
      settings
      and press Enter.
    • Go to Computer Name tab.
    • Click Change.
    • Enter the new name.
    • Click OK to save the changes.
    • Restart your computer.
    Regards.

Devlin Sco, Dec 29, 2019
Thema:

Change name of PC - Caution!

1. Change name of PC - Caution! - Similar Threads - Change name Caution

2. Cant Change PC name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant Change PC name: I changed the name of my computer on windows 11 and i cannot change it at all anymore. i was experimenting and now i cannot change it back. how do i fix this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-pc-name/35e1b145-0950-44c1-a513-c030ed993122
  3. change user name PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    change user name PC: Hi,I am signed in with my microsoft account but my PC greets me as 'user'. Can't find a way to change it. My microsoft account on gteh web shows my correct name but my PC does not. How do I change my account name on my PC?...
  4. change user name PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    change user name PC: Hi,I am signed in with my microsoft account but my PC greets me as 'user'. Can't find a way to change it. My microsoft account on gteh web shows my correct name but my PC does not. How do I change my account name on my PC?...
  5. change user name PC

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. PC Name Changed

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    PC Name Changed: Hi Everyone, I decided to finally change my pc name and now I have two user accounts on login. I've tried everything available on google to delete the second account but to no avail. This is what I tried: delete any other account on "users accounts" but there was nothing...
  7. pc name change

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    pc name change: i'm moving stuff from my pc to another pc to become mine, how do i change the name https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-name-change/4e31259e-94b1-4731-899d-6f37a9f4b074
  8. Changing PC Name

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Changing PC Name: I have several PC's that need to have the names changed. These PC's are part of our network, will there be any adverse effects to the network access? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-pc-name/da223a76-b3a7-4944-bc3f-36e7b2990fd0
  9. Change name of PC - Caution!

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Change name of PC - Caution!: Win10 - 1909. My desktop PC arrived from the custom builder with a name of "DESKTOP - Alpha-String" in Windows. I wanted something simpler for pairing with other devices and I only have one desktop pc so changed that to "DESKTOP". I had the PC set up to boot straight to...
  10. Change folder name in This PC

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change folder name in This PC: Hi, I just upgrade windows 10 from windows 7 and I'm customizing some default folder to match my settings in my windows 7. I got a little problem and it's really annoying me. Here is the screenshot of my This PC [img] as you can see, I change the windows default...