Windows 10: Change network type

Discus and support Change network type in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently setup my new laptop with a public network in error. How do I change it to a Home network? Do I need to disable the public one. How do I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Pudmeister, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Change network type

I recently setup my new laptop with a public network in error. How do I change it to a Home network? Do I need to disable the public one. How do I create a new network that is secure?

:)

Pudmeister, Apr 4, 2020

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Apr 4, 2020
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    Set Broadband Internet Connection Network Configuration

Hi,

Upon analyzing the details you have provided, kindly run the
    Network and Internet Troubleshooter
    and check if there's any changes. To run the
    troubleshooter,
    follow these steps:

• On the search bar, type
      Troubleshooting.

• Choose
      Network and Internet.

• Run the following
      Troubleshooter:

• Internet Connections.

• Network Adapter.

• Incoming Connections.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you try to
    renew
    your
    IP address. To do this, follow these steps:

• Open
      Command Prompt
      as
      Administrator.

• Type the following command:

• Ipconfig/release
        and hit
        Enter.

• Ipconfig/renew
        and hit
        Enter.

• Exit.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Apr 4, 2020
  4. Joythar K Win User

Change network type

network location changed

Hi Philip,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I understand your concern and I’ll be glad to assist you. Appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

So as per description, are you facing issues connecting to the internet or is the concern specific to network type?

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.

Hope this helps. Get back to us for further queries. We are happy to help.

Joythar K, Apr 4, 2020
Thema:

Change network type

1. Change network type - Similar Threads - Change network type

2. How to change Network Profile Type in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Network Profile Type in Windows 11: [ATTACH]If you want to change the Network profile type in Windows 11, here is how you can do that using Windows Settings, Registry Editor, and Windows PowerShell. There are three network types, and you can switch from one to another using these tutorials. There are mainly two...
  3. Home Internet Network Security Type

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Home Internet Network Security Type: How do I tell which type of encryption/security e.g. WPA an internet network has when I am NOT connected to this network? Trying to troubleshoot connection problem so obviously I can't connect to this network in question, yet instructions say to find out the security type...
  4. Account Type Change Problem

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Account Type Change Problem: [IMG]Hello to All; I have newly purchased HP Spectre x360. I have two accounts and type of both account is "Standard account" mistakenly. When I try to change one of them to "Administrator account", It's unable to change. I have put the picture of the problem also. Kindly...
  5. Change default "Save as type"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change default "Save as type": Whenever I'm saving changes made to a picture file it defaults to saving it as a jpeg. I never save anything as a jpeg because of it's lossy nature and always tend to save picture files as a png. Is there a way to make it so whenever I'm saving ANY kind of picture file that...
  6. Network Changed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Changed: So I have a mixed environment of systems of Win 10, 7 and 8.1. I also have a FreeNAS box which I just did a clean install of the newest version. I have a router that has a an access share which has worked all the time. Since the new FreeNAS was installed I think this created...
  7. Cannot change laptop network type from public to private

Cannot change laptop network type from public to private: Win10 ver 1803 laptop connected to router by ethernet cable. Network type is shown as public. Going through settings and clicking on the network should give a screen with the top section being 'network profile' but that section just isn't there. The first section is 'metered...
  8. change network type from public to private in win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    change network type from public to private in win 10: my home wifi is set to public. i want to change it to private but i cant find any options to do it even after searching the internet for solutions. please help...
  9. Business type workgroup Network

Business type workgroup Network: Finally installed Win10 on a computer with raw HD. It installed realtively easy. But I can not figure out how to setup a network to see two Win7 computers on a small business type workgroup. I disabled Homegroup since I am most comfortable without them. But in trying to...
  10. change file type

in Windows 10 Support
    change file type: I was looking through a file within the file called" Windows8 OS". The file was called "Microsoft.SqlServer.Compact.400.32" and it was a "LFL" file type. In trying to open it I inadvertently changed it to a "BC" file type. Question, how do I change it back to it's...