Windows 10: Change New Drive from logical to Primary

Discus and support Change New Drive from logical to Primary in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello all, I purchased a new SSD today and cloned my old HDD to it. I then set up boot priority using BIOS and have my PC booting from the new drive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BryanHeffner, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Change New Drive from logical to Primary

Hello all,

I purchased a new SSD today and cloned my old HDD to it. I then set up boot priority using BIOS and have my PC booting from the new drive. I have been trying to change the new SSD to my primary boot drive so I can format the old one and use it for storage. I downloaded IM-Magic Partition Resizer and tried to follow its instructions to change the new drive to the primary drive but the option doesn't even show up on the program. I tried a few other programs that said they could do the same thing and all of them had the same issue.

I even tried disconnecting the old drive and the system ran fine which really confused me.

I am very lost and probably didn't give enough info here, let me know if anything else is needed and thanks in advance for any help!

:)

BryanHeffner, Oct 3, 2019

2. unable to change unallocated space to primary partition or logical partition.

1) Are you able to view the unallocated 100 Gb memory space in the Disk management?

Yes, checked that before posting.

2) How exactly you are trying to change the unallocated space to primary or logical drive?

Open EaseUS Partition Master, highlight the unallocated partition. If it is a primary partition click on "Convert to logical" and if it is a logical partition click on "Convert to primary". Then click apply.

What about the question as to why, when I booted from the W10 ISO disk I was not given the option of where to install the OS? Thanks.

kemperhill, Oct 3, 2019
  3. unable to change unallocated space to primary partition or logical partition.

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft community.

We understand the inconvenience caused and we will try our best to resolve the issue.

To assist you better, please provide few details.

1) Are you able to view the unallocated 100 Gb memory space in the Disk management?

To open Disk management, press Windows key +x and select Disk Management.

2) How exactly you are trying to change the unallocated space to primary or logical drive?

As per your query, I like to inform you that, you can have maximum of three primary drives in one hard drive in your system.

If you are able to view the unallocated 100 Gb memory space in the Disk management then I suggest you to follow the below steps to create a new drive and check if it helps.

1) Press Windows key + x, and select Disk Management.

2) Check for the unallocated memory space.

3) Right click on the unallocated memory space.

4) Select New Simple Volume.

5) Follow the onscreen instruction.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Oct 3, 2019
  4. Change New Drive from logical to Primary

Huge Logical Drive

The question is can I combine the 785 GB New Volume extended partition with my C: partition?

MarkChorkawyj, Oct 3, 2019
Thema:

Change New Drive from logical to Primary

1. Change New Drive from logical to Primary - Similar Threads - Change Drive logical

2. What are logical drives?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What are logical drives?: What are logical drives? What are they for? And why should I use them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-are-logical-drives/62da9feb-99cb-42a3-ba02-f03622540c0f
  3. What are logical drives?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What are logical drives?: What are logical drives? What are they for? And why should I use them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-are-logical-drives/62da9feb-99cb-42a3-ba02-f03622540c0f
  4. What are logical drives?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. SCOM alert subscription - OR logic keeps changing to AND logic

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SCOM alert subscription - OR logic keeps changing to AND logic: I'm trying to set up SCOM alert subscriptions for a number of related Dell monitors, I want to trigger notifications on any new critical alerts from any one of 8 different monitors. But every time I build the subscription and save it, my "or" logic is changed to "and"...
  6. Change primary hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change primary hard drive: So when i first built my pc i had a 250gb HDD. As you may tell, that isn't much so i bought and installed a 2tb HDD. I have many files on it now, and i have went to setting and put that i want new files to go to there, but still new files go to the 250gb hard drive. Is there...
  7. Changing my D drive to the primary ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing my D drive to the primary ?: Hi there, My c drive is used to boot and has all Windows related on it. My D drive is 1tb and need it to be the default drive. Any help? [img] 172289
  8. Converting logical disk partitions to primary

Converting logical disk partitions to primary: My PC was purchased before Windows 10 and had the C drive partitioned to add data and program storage in separate spaces. I now wish to add the space from one of the logical partitions to the contiguous primary C partition. Having failed to notice 2 partitions are labelled as...
  9. Would Logical partition fail if the primary partition fails?

Would Logical partition fail if the primary partition fails?: Hello, I have my HDD now in MBR format and I tried to convert it to GPT but mbr2gpt didn't work, I get fail to validate disk every time and hence can't convert to GPT. It's OK, but now I divided my HDD into 5 partitions just for more sense to category of files, each in a...
  10. How to convert primary partitions to logical partition

in Windows 10 Support
    How to convert primary partitions to logical partition: I have four primary partitions (System, C: , D: , E: ) and some free space in my Win10 laptop. Now, I want to make create an extended partition which will hold C, D & E as logical partition. How can I do it without loosing data (i don't have a spare hard disk where I can...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. change logical drive to primary

2. logical to primary windows10

3. how to change drive primary and logocal

4. change from logical to primary drive windows 10