Windows 10: Change OneDrive shortcut in office etc to point to local synced folder not cloud location

Discus and support Change OneDrive shortcut in office etc to point to local synced folder not cloud location in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I use one drive for quite a bit of file storage, and it works very well, but when I am working in a poor network area its a nightmare. How can I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Andy Sims andrew.sims, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Change OneDrive shortcut in office etc to point to local synced folder not cloud location

I use one drive for quite a bit of file storage, and it works very well, but when I am working in a poor network area its a nightmare.

How can I change the "Onedrive" save loctions in office and shortcuts in windows explorer so that they default to my local mirrored folders and not the cloud locations.

Too many times I have gone out of network coverage only to find that files cannot be found on my local folders, or that they are not the most recent version.

I want an option to have all my "one drive" file locations to save to my local drive first, so there is no risk of file loss, and then have the onedrive app sync them to the cloud as and when I am back on the network.

:)

Andy Sims andrew.sims, Jul 12, 2020
  2. Sid_0987 Win User

Documents and Pictures folder shortcuts in User folder go to OneDrive instead of the local folders.

Hello. I am having troubles with my User folder in Windows 10.

I had OneDrive activated because I use OneDrive to store files I want available across multiple devices, but there are other files that I keep local in my home machine. I've had a OneDrive Documents and Pictures folders showing together with my local Documents
    and Pictures folders under my User folder. I didn't like it, but it was working alright. Today, however, my local folders disappeared from my User folder in File Explorer and I cannot access them through the User folder shortcuts. The actual local folders
    are still in my hard drive because if I enter their path, they can be navigated to. The shortcuts now only point to OneDrive folders.

I deactivated OneDrive in my machine and all I got was a local copy of the OneDrive folders that the User folder keeps pointing to.

I tried the Properties > Location tab to point to the location of my local folders instead, but 1. Documents shortcut didn't have a Locations tab, and 2. Pictures folder says I don't have access to change the location.

How do I get my User folder to display all shortcuts to my local folders and my OneDrive folder to have the shortcuts to the OneDrive folders instead of this huge mix?

Help please!

Specs:

Windows 10 Build 10586.420

Sid_0987, Jul 12, 2020
  3. Esoremada Win User
    Sync folder between two computers using both local network and cloud

I'm looking for a way to do the following:

1. Sync folder A on my laptop with folder B on my PC by transferring any changes on one machine onto the other machine using the local network.
    2. If I modify one of the folders while the other machine is off, the changes are uploaded to cloud storage like Dropbox or Google Drive or OneDrive, and downloaded to the other machine once it is turned on. When the change is synced the data can be deleted from the cloud.

I am able to do #1 by turning on sharing over the local network for each folder and using FreeFileSync on each computer to sync the local folder to the other one. However I would like my changes to sync without having to keep both machines on at the same time.

The folders are too large to keep completely in the cloud, but the changes I make each day are not.

Esoremada, Jul 12, 2020
  4. Nicrite Win User

Change OneDrive shortcut in office etc to point to local synced folder not cloud location

Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Jul 12, 2020
Thema:

Change OneDrive shortcut in office etc to point to local synced folder not cloud location

1. Change OneDrive shortcut in office etc to point to local synced folder not cloud location - Similar Threads - Change OneDrive shortcut

2. Sync a Local C drive folder with a OneDrive folder and keep them in Sync

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sync a Local C drive folder with a OneDrive folder and keep them in Sync: So, I thought this would be really simple, but I must be missing something. I just started working remotely so I am embracing OneDrive. I have a Business OD account and a Personal OD account. I do a lot of SQL server work that I need to keep saved on a local folder on my...
  3. Sync a Local C drive folder with a OneDrive folder and keep them in Sync

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sync a Local C drive folder with a OneDrive folder and keep them in Sync: So, I thought this would be really simple, but I must be missing something. I just started working remotely so I am embracing OneDrive. I have a Business OD account and a Personal OD account. I do a lot of SQL server work that I need to keep saved on a local folder on my...
  4. Sync a Local C drive folder with a OneDrive folder and keep them in Sync

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. OneDrive folder not syncing with cloud

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive folder not syncing with cloud: Hi, this my first post here. I don't know if I have put this in the correct forum, apologies if not. My Windows Version is 20H2. For some reason I created my OneDrive folder within my existing OneDrive setup, in C:\Users\Username\OneDrive\Email attachments\Documents. I don't...
  6. OneDrive: Can't stop syncing folders - how to stop pointing essential folders to OneDrive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    OneDrive: Can't stop syncing folders - how to stop pointing essential folders to OneDrive: Must have done a mistake while setting up my new PC, because Desktop, Documents and Pictures got linked to OneDrive rather than being local to the PC (all marked with little cloud). Tried unchecking the folders to stop syncing them, but got a message that I couldn't stop...
  7. Unable to change default user folders location from OneDrive to local disk.

Unable to change default user folders location from OneDrive to local disk.: Hi, I want to change the location of my user foldersDocuments, Pictures etc... from OneDrive to my local disk. It is now currently set to C:\Users\<username>\OneDrive\<user folder> and I want it to be at C:\Users\<username>\<user folder> . I moved my files from the OneDrive...
  8. OneDrive local files are not syncing to OneDrive

OneDrive local files are not syncing to OneDrive: Hi, I searched the forum and other websites and could not find a solution. All the files I add to my sync folders are never synced uploaded to onedrive, but the taskbar icon says it is up to date. I try to end the application process, unlink/re-link onedrive,...
  9. .lnk shortcuts will not sync with OneDrive

.lnk shortcuts will not sync with OneDrive: I use multiple photography and video programs. I organize shortcuts to those files in folders for easy access. I also use desktop shortcuts to some of the more frequently used programs. Desktop shortcuts and shortcuts within folders with .lnk extensions will not sync with...
  10. OneDrive Syncing with Local Documents/Pictures/Videos/Etc Folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive Syncing with Local Documents/Pictures/Videos/Etc Folders: Hello all, I've been searching for the last couple of weeks and haven't exactly found what I am looking for--I may need a third party app, but we shall see. I have two computers--a desktop and a laptop, both running Windows 10 Pro. My desktop's storage is basically...