Windows 10: Change open with default app to software located in ProgramData folder

Discus and support Change open with default app to software located in ProgramData folder in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; In Windows, when you choose a default app to open a given with file extension, choose wisely. It is forever. The only way, it seems, to change a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Default Apper, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Change open with default app to software located in ProgramData folder

In Windows, when you choose a default app to open a given with file extension, choose wisely. It is forever. The only way, it seems, to change a default app once selected, is by selecting a different app. Not so simple, though. The 'open with' Windows prompt of 'Look for another app on this PC' is of no help, given that the software app you want is, in all likelihood, located within 'ProgramData' which can't be accessed through the file browser Windows gives you. If only Windows could forget the default app, then I'm sure the software would recognize its file extension. But 'Reset to the Microsoft recommended defaults' doesn't accomplish this.

:)

Default Apper, Nov 25, 2019
  2. Nicrite Win User

Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Nov 25, 2019
  3. Can I Change My Default Desktop Location??

Hello Lucas,

You may change the default location for the desktop and library folders on Windows 10.

To change the default location of the folders, please follow these steps:

• Click Start, type This PC and press
      Enter
    • Right-click the Desktop folder and select Properties.
    • Go to Location tab and click Move.
    • Find the new location for the Desktop folder and click
      Select
      Folder.
    • Click OK to finish.

The steps must be done on each of the library folders.

Regards.

Devlin Sco, Nov 25, 2019
  4. Jelu Cal Win User

Change open with default app to software located in ProgramData folder

ProgramData-filder backup

Hi,

The ProgramData folder is usually located in the C: drive of your device. To locate the ProgramData folder, you can perform the following:

• In File Explorer, click on the View tab.
    • Click on Options.
    • In the Folder Options window, click on the View tab.
    • Under the Hidden files and folders, select Show hidden files, folders, or drives.
    • Click on Apply.
    • Click on OK.

Let us know how it goes after you've performed the steps.

Jelu Cal, Nov 25, 2019
Thema:

Change open with default app to software located in ProgramData folder

1. Change open with default app to software located in ProgramData folder - Similar Threads - Change open default

2. Default group permissions for ProgramData folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default group permissions for ProgramData folder?: Can someone list the default permissions for the C:\ProgramData\ folder for the following groups?- CREATOR OWNER- SYSTEM- Administrators- UsersThanks!...
  3. Default group permissions for ProgramData folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default group permissions for ProgramData folder?: Can someone list the default permissions for the C:\ProgramData\ folder for the following groups?- CREATOR OWNER- SYSTEM- Administrators- UsersThanks!...
  4. Change Default Location of Picture Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Default Location of Picture Folder: I want to change the default location of my pictures folder from out of my OneDrive and just under the main user folder. I keep getting this error. Is there a workaround for this?...
  5. Change Default Location of Picture Folder

Change Default Location of Picture Folder: I want to change the default location of my pictures folder from out of my OneDrive and just under the main user folder. I keep getting this error. Is there a workaround for this?...
  6. Cant change default app location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant change default app location: I Recently installed windows on my new SSD, and i am trying to change my default install location to my D drive, but it keeps giving me error code 0x80070005. I've followed a rabbit hole of fixes and tutorials on user permission changes, sharing setting and command prompt...
  7. Changing default app location.

Changing default app location.: I have Game Pass and want to install a few games, however, when I choose to change the default app location in Windows it mentions it will have to remove existing apps on the other drive. C: Is my OS Drive and has all my game modifications on it, D: However is for Steam and...
  8. Changing default app location.

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing default app location.: I have Game Pass and want to install a few games, however, when I choose to change the default app location in Windows it mentions it will have to remove existing apps on the other drive. C: Is my OS Drive and has all my game modifications on it, D: However is for Steam and...
  9. Can't change default apps location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't change default apps location: Trying to download games from xbox game pass, horrendously designed and it needs me to change my default apps saving point for some reason cause you're still living in 2003, won't let me do that just keep getting these errors [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  10. Changing default save location for apps

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing default save location for apps: Problem: Changing default drive for new content. Attempting to change from C to D drives primary to secondary drives First message: Delete other apps? This drive has apps from another device, to use this drive delete them. Click yes, Error code 0x80070005 comes up. I have...