Windows 10: Change owner of computer, leave files intact

Discus and support Change owner of computer, leave files intact in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My wife and I both have accounts on a Microsoft Surface 3. I want to remove my account, but leave all the files on the machine and to have her become... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RichardManning6, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Change owner of computer, leave files intact

My wife and I both have accounts on a Microsoft Surface 3. I want to remove my account, but leave all the files on the machine and to have her become the only account on the machine, maintaining her access to all accounts.

:)

RichardManning6, Sep 12, 2020
  2. Skiff640 Win User

Excel changes the owner of file during save

I just duplicated the problem with a brand new Excel file that had nothing to do with the old XP machine ...
    • Signed in as the original owner who is in the administrator group
    • Created a new Excel file in the same folder as above
    • Edited the file with Excel as the original owner ... saved
    • Checked ownership and permissions. Everything looks OK, including the inherited permissions from the folder
    • Signed off
    • Signed on as a second user who is not in the Administrator group
    • Edited the the file with Excel as the second user ... saved the file with changes
    • Signed off
    • Signed on as the original owner
    • Checked ownership and permissions. The ownership of the file has changed to the second user.

The original and second users are the exact same users described in the post above. Uggghhh ...

Clueless in Houston ...

Skiff640, Sep 12, 2020
  3. Denied access to a file despite being listed as the owner

I tried to reinstall Origin, and this particular program, and it seems some others on the computer do not allow access at all, either to run or delete. It says access is denied or that permission will be needed. I go into the advanced settings to change
    the owner (as elswhere the troubleshooters suggested) and I see that Administrators is already listed as the owner. It's as though the administrator does not even have access to the file. This appears to apply to the entire folder. How can I change the
    permission to the file(s) so I can delete/reinstall?

joethecounselor, Sep 12, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

Change owner of computer, leave files intact

Brink, Sep 12, 2020
Thema:

Change owner of computer, leave files intact

1. Change owner of computer, leave files intact - Similar Threads - Change owner computer

2. How to clear space from Onedrive leaving my local files intact?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to clear space from Onedrive leaving my local files intact?: So, I tried to desync Onedrive because it keeps trying to charge me for more storage space even though it uses my memory and now I can't send or recieve emails. The problem is that almost all my files are in the "OneDrive - Personal" folder and it vanishes if I try to desync....
  3. How to clear space from Onedrive leaving my local files intact?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to clear space from Onedrive leaving my local files intact?: So, I tried to desync Onedrive because it keeps trying to charge me for more storage space even though it uses my memory and now I can't send or recieve emails. The problem is that almost all my files are in the "OneDrive - Personal" folder and it vanishes if I try to desync....
  4. How to clear space from Onedrive leaving my local files intact?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to clear space from Onedrive leaving my local files intact?: My storage is full and I just want to clear everything on it so I can send and recieve e-mails again properly, but whatever I delete from Onedrive is deleted from my local files. Also, my local documents folder just contains a shortcut to the Onedrive folder, and I don't know...
  5. How to clear space from Onedrive leaving my local files intact?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to clear space from Onedrive leaving my local files intact?: My storage is full and I just want to clear everything on it so I can send and recieve e-mails again properly, but whatever I delete from Onedrive is deleted from my local files. Also, my local documents folder just contains a shortcut to the Onedrive folder, and I don't know...
  6. How to clear space from Onedrive leaving my local files intact?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. File owner changes

in Windows 10 Support
    File owner changes: I backup my files to a USB on another PC and the owner changes to a long string (S-1-5-21-2070691468-2192114673-407588093-1001) - what's going on??? 175144
  8. Dim the UI elements, leaving pictures and movies intact

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dim the UI elements, leaving pictures and movies intact: So I just wanted to reduce the contrast of UI elements, such as webpages or folder backgrounds, while keeping pictures and movies intact. The idea is to darken anything but pictures and movies. So that when a webpage has some #000000 in styles, it will display as #000000. If...
  9. Change the owner account on a computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change the owner account on a computer: I have windows 10 and my wife was the first user on the account. Without losing everything on it how do i change the owner from her account to mine? Thank you in advance....
  10. computer owner change

in Windows 10 Customization
    computer owner change: My mother passed away and I'm her son and new owner of the computer. How doI remove her name and replace with mine ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-owner-change/9bc33b1c-ba7b-4da5-8c72-8ee08b9f0a83