Windows 10: Change ownership of data partition restored from W7 machine

Discus and support Change ownership of data partition restored from W7 machine in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Im back again, after having successfully used Macrium R to restore the backup image of my data from Windows 7 laptop to Windows 10 laptop. I now need... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by dpwoodpecker, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Change ownership of data partition restored from W7 machine

Im back again, after having successfully used Macrium R to restore the backup image of my data from Windows 7 laptop to Windows 10 laptop. I now need help to reconfigure the ownership of the partition (DChange ownership of data partition restored from W7 machine :), the main folders and subfolders and files within.

Heres the screenshot of the drive Ds Properties Advance Security settings dialog window.

Change ownership of data partition restored from W7 machine [​IMG]

FYI: I had moved the default location of Document Folder to D: on Windows 7 (for both user accounts standard and administrator) and intend to do the same on Windows 10 afterwards. Please note the hidden files (shown in red text in screenshot below) that were also in the data D: drive on Windows 7 machine when I made the backup image.

Change ownership of data partition restored from W7 machine [​IMG]

First a couple of housekeeping questions: 1) Since the hidden files are tied to the user profiles on Windows 7 machine, is it safe for me to delete them on this drive on Windows 10?

and 2) Is it also safe to remove the two "Account unknown" in the list of permissions entries (probably again, associated with W7 machine user profiles)?

Additionally, I have two user accounts created on W10: a standard and an administrator accounts, but most likely would be using the standard one 95% of the time. I would like to give full control to both profiles so that Id be able to access the data D: partition, regardless of which account I may be logged into.

Main questions: To which account should I change the ownership? What other actions do I need to do through this dialog window?

Currently my System Specs shows W7 laptop information and 2nd PC specs shows the W10 laptop info. If there is a particular sequence of steps to do, please specify the order. I only did this once 5+ years ago when I had to move from XP to W7 and only with help from SevenForums gurus. Much gratitude for your guidance!

:)

dpwoodpecker, Sep 19, 2020
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Sep 19, 2020
  3. Help! Data partition not showing under my computer

This is happening on a windows 2000 server. Our second partition of the system, for data is not showing under my computer. Here are the properties of it in disk management:

Change ownership of data partition restored from W7 machine partition.jpg

Now under logical drives its listed as F and shows free space available.

Suggestions on how to fix this?

Hybrid_theory, Sep 19, 2020
  4. Change ownership of data partition restored from W7 machine

make restore partition.... how?

make restore partition.... how?

im buying a comuter without an OS.. and without restore partition. is it posible for me to make the partition myself after installing an OS? if so.. how?

HiddenStupid, Sep 19, 2020
Thema:

Change ownership of data partition restored from W7 machine

1. Change ownership of data partition restored from W7 machine - Similar Threads - Change ownership data

2. Windows 10 System Restore and Data Partition

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows 10 System Restore and Data Partition: Firstly, I know System Restore is not terribly reliable, but it has worked well for me (mostly) in the past and so it's often my first resort when weird things happen. That being said, I do make regular images and clones with Macrium Reflect to disks in several USB enclosures...
  3. Restore Windows system & files only from windows data partition no recovery/boot partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore Windows system & files only from windows data partition no recovery/boot partitions: So I made an oopsie. A big one. TL;DR: I have a partition on a hard drive with all my Windows files Program Files, PrefLogs, Windows, Users, etc.. It is the only partition on the hard drive no boot/recovery. I need to move that partition, or at least the data on it, to...
  4. Moving data from W7 laptop to W10 laptop

Moving data from W7 laptop to W10 laptop: My wife is still using a Windows 7 laptop. She resists change. It's hdd is divided into a C: W7 system partition and an E: data partition. She is now getting a Windows 10 laptop and I need to move her data and installed programs (mostly MS office 2002, Thunderbird set up as...
  5. Problems moving data from W7 to W10

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems moving data from W7 to W10: I'm moving my wife's data from her W7 laptop to a W10 laptop (W10 home 1903, build 18362.836) and I'm hitting problems. I've transferred her data fine but: 1. I cannot access her thunderbird profile which is at users/../.../roaming/Thunderbird/profiles/...... I get access...
  6. Restoring TrustedInstaller ownership

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring TrustedInstaller ownership: Long story short, I messed with the ownership of some system files and now Windows won’t boot. SFC and dism both fail. Safe mode won’t boot either. The only thing I can access is the command prompt on the automatic repair screen. Is there any way to restore the...
  7. Restore data to new partition

Restore data to new partition: I have a new laptop with two partitions, one C: (ssd) for programfiles and and one A: (trad. harddisk). I want to install the data from my old computer C: but there is no way of choosing A: using restore with "History file". I have the backup on a external hard disk. What...
  8. Cannot access W7 machines FROM W10

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Cannot access W7 machines FROM W10: Hi there W10 still seems to have some type of networking problem - OUTGOING is OK -- W10 CAN see W7 HDD's and access them. W7 CAN see W10 computer but cannot access any HDD's. W7 CAN access W10 if you specify the actual IP address for example L: \\192.168.x.x rather...
  9. Restoring machine using the Recovery Partition

Restoring machine using the Recovery Partition: I just bought an HP Pavillion 15 ab15nr laptop with windows 10 and messed up the install of my programs. The factory recovery partition is untouched and as far as I know intact. How do I go about returning the machine to its factory condition using the Recovery Partition and...
  10. Restoring W7 backups

in Windows 10 Support
    Restoring W7 backups: Hi Everyone. Just prior to upgrading my W7 Home 32 bit OS to W10, I had to reinstall W7 to another HDD due to the original disc malfunctioning but without thinking, I then upgraded the newly installed W7 to W10 before restoring my backup. My question is:- Can I now restore...