Windows 10: Change PC name on MS account after changing locally

Discus and support Change PC name on MS account after changing locally in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I bought a new surface and set it up. It doesnt ask for PC name during setup, only after you are in. So now in MS account devices online, the pc... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TQM Dave, Apr 25, 2019.

1. TQM Dave Win User

Change PC name on MS account after changing locally

Hi

I bought a new surface and set it up. It doesnt ask for PC name during setup, only after you are in. So now in MS account devices online, the pc name is something like desktop-767shdjs

I cant recognize that, so I want to change it for the name I have just given it, a useful name. How can I get it to update?

If I remove the device online, will I still be able to login locally?

:)

TQM Dave, Apr 25, 2019

2. Query about changing the account name

Hi Stephanie,

Since you have already changed the name on your Microsoft account, we suggest switching into a local account, and then log back in with your Microsoft account. This way, we can be sure that any changes made to your Microsoft account will be synced to your
    local user account.

For steps on how to switch to a local account:

• Click on Start.
    • Click on Settings.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Under Your account, click on Switch to a local account.

To switch back to a Microsoft account:

• Follow steps 1-3 above to get to Accounts.
    • Under Your account, click on Sign in with a Microsoft account instead.

If the issue persists, please do not hesitate to get back to us.

Patricia Yu, Apr 25, 2019
  3. Cannot change account name?

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. I will certainly help you with the issue that you are facing.

I would like to ask you:

• Is your PC connected to a domain?
    • What all troubleshooting steps have you tried?

Since you have tried to change the name online as well, try to convert your account to a Local account from Microsoft account and then revert it to Microsoft Account.

• Open Start and go to Settings.
    • Go to User Accounts.
    • Disconnect from Microsoft Account.

Restart the PC and follow the same steps to connect to a Microsoft Account.

Let us know the results. Hope this information helps.

Sahil Bali, Apr 25, 2019
  4. Change PC name on MS account after changing locally

How do I change Administrator local account name in Windows 10 Home?

Hi Hoc,

You can change your local account name under Control Panel. To do this,
    please follow these steps:

• Open the Control Panel and then click the User Accounts icon.
    • Click the Manage another account and then click Local Account.
    • Change the account name.

Do let us know if you have any other concerns.

Raymond Ave, Apr 25, 2019
Thema:

Change PC name on MS account after changing locally

1. Change PC name on MS account after changing locally - Similar Threads - Change name account

2. Mistake when change MS account to Local account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mistake when change MS account to Local account: After staring my new ASUS installed with Win 11Home Smode using my MS account by mistake when wanted to change my MS account as a local account I missed the settings window with password etc that window closed immediately and now my laptop is a black box and I can not login ....
  3. Mistake when change MS account to Local account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mistake when change MS account to Local account: After staring my new ASUS installed with Win 11Home Smode using my MS account by mistake when wanted to change my MS account as a local account I missed the settings window with password etc that window closed immediately and now my laptop is a black box and I can not login ....
  4. Windows 10 Username keep changing between Local name and my MS Account name !!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Username keep changing between Local name and my MS Account name !!!: My UserName is BemZ when I sign in with my Microsoft account on PC, the name of my User keeps changing every time between Local NameBemZ and my full name on my MS Account Zouhair Bem i can see that throw my user icon on my desktop, and I need to be Local Name BemZ forever,...
  5. Windows 10 Username keep changing between Local name and my MS Account name !!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Username keep changing between Local name and my MS Account name !!!: My UserName is BemZ when I sign in with my Microsoft account on PC, the name of my User keeps changing every time between Local NameBemZ and my full name on my MS Account Zouhair Bem i can see that throw my user icon on my desktop, and I need to be Local Name BemZ forever,...
  6. Windows 10 Username keep changing between Local name and my MS Account name !!!

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Not change PC name after syncing to Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Not change PC name after syncing to Microsoft Account: I have multiple devices and I REALLY REALLY want to sync them all to my Microsoft account because I love the feature of using MS office tools across these devices AND offline solutions for work. BUT I want them all with different device names. Recently I synced my account to...
  8. Can not change MS account to local account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can not change MS account to local account: I am running 2004 and I set up my laptop with a MS account, I dont like the fact that it shouts my full name everywhere but the setting does not appear anywhere to log in as a local account which it should and I have followed many guides to fix this and none of them did fix...
  9. Can not change MS account to local account

in Windows 10 Support
    Can not change MS account to local account: I am running 2004 and I set up my laptop with a MS account, I dont like the fact that it shouts my full name everywhere but the setting does not appear anywhere to log in as a local account which it should and I have followed many guides to fix this and none of them did fix...
  10. access to ms account no longer working locally after on line name change

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    access to ms account no longer working locally after on line name change: Hello After a clean install yesterday with a USB key caused by a failed v1809 update, I had a brand new clean W10 Pro on a primary partition, well separated from data on its own logical partition. This approach tends to separate structurally the system & apps from the data...