Windows 10: Change PC Settings Based on Location

Discus and support Change PC Settings Based on Location in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm curious if it is possible to change Windows settings based on my laptop's location. What I would like is a few settings (GPOs) to change based on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Brack, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Brack Win User

Change PC Settings Based on Location

I'm curious if it is possible to change Windows settings based on my laptop's location. What I would like is a few settings (GPOs) to change based on whether I am at home vs anywhere else.

I'm guessing that detecting the wireless/wired network I'm connected to, or looking for a server or specific piece of hardware (laptop dock) are the best ways to reliably determine the laptop's location. I'd prefer not to set up a Windows domain at home, however I'd imagine it would make it easier to accomplish what I'm trying to do.

I would prefer a native solution, however third party programs, scripting or programming is acceptable. I'm using Win 10 Pro x64.

:)

Brack, Nov 11, 2015

2. MixRadio location error

Hi,

I fixed this about 2 weeks ago. I don't know how, but the location status on my account was set to "Hong Kong". I don't remember doing it, and don't know if this was inadvertently changed by installing an English (UK) language-based Lumia Black Update from
    within China?

Anyhow, I uninstalled the app, changed my account location settings back to China, re-installed the app and now it works.

So, the big question is, why does the Nokia MixRadio app base it's location status on the location settings within the Nokia Account? Nokia MixRadio's media content is only permissible in some countries based on their media streaming content laws.

There is clearly a flaw here, because anyone who is in a country where they shouldn't have access to Nokia MixRadio (e.g. Hong Kong), can simply change their Nokia Account location settings to "China" and they have full access to the media content.

jimjamz---01, Nov 11, 2015
  3. how do I change my location in maps with windows 10

There's currently no way to change the location that the Maps app shows for your current location, it is based on whatever information is available for your PC. For PC's without GPS or a WIFI adapter, results are obtained using your IP address. Using this
    technique the results can vary widely in accuracy and can sometimes be incorrect.

Analy [MSFT], Nov 11, 2015
Thema:

Change PC Settings Based on Location

1. Change PC Settings Based on Location - Similar Threads - Change Settings Based

2. How to change Location settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Location settings in Windows 10: Most of the computers don’t have a built-in GPS. However, Microsoft has introduced “Location“, a feature that uses IP address and Wi-Fi positioning to predict your location. It is accurate in its task and can be a great alternative to GPS. In this article, we are going to...
  3. changing saved location on pc

in Windows 10 Customization
    changing saved location on pc: Just build a new pc so i installed my old 4tb hdd on my new pc and now that im trying to changed the saved files on windows 10 i get the error 0x80070005, im trying to change this so i can save all my games in my 4tb hdd and by the way old files of games are in there aswell....
  4. Unable to change settings in various locations.

Unable to change settings in various locations.: Primary problem I am facing is that with a new harddrive installed in my computer with windows 10, I am unable to change settings for certain aspects. Example 1: Unable to change or connect to wifi when logged in. Can only connect at the login screen. Example 2: Unable to add...
  5. cannot change my default saving location to "this PC" under settings < storage < change...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cannot change my default saving location to "this PC" under settings < storage < change...: hi Team , i have the following issue with windows 10 cannot change my default saving location to "this PC" under settings < storage < change where the new content is saved . it just lists "C drive" and not "this PC". everything i try to save , it saves under skydrive , i...
  6. location keeps changing on my pc

location keeps changing on my pc: i have set and reset my location on my pc using my address and zip code. Everytime i attempt to lets say shop on my computer, it get the wrong zip code automatically for shipping. this happens constantly. even after i supposedly reset the location and set it as the default. i...
  7. Resetting PC and Changing OS location

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Resetting PC and Changing OS location: HI there, So my intention is to do a full reset of my PC in addition to adding an SSD to my rig and re-install my OS to that instead of the HDD for better performance. I've already backed up my OS to a USB and can boot from it if required. I will attach my SSD to the new...
  8. Change Power Settings based on Open Programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Change Power Settings based on Open Programs: Hey gusy, I have windows 10 and am wondering if i can change power settings. Such as if i have my NAS software open, not to go to sleep. Or if i hvae google chrome open not to go to sleep, however if these are not open to go to sleep after 1 hour. Thank you, 115567
  9. Set, Change, or Clear Default Location for Windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set, Change, or Clear Default Location for Windows 10 PC: How to: Set, Change, or Clear Default Location for Windows 10 PC How to Set, Change, or Clear Default Location for Windows 10 PC Some apps need to know when youre in a specific location to work correctly. For instance, if youve asked an app to remind you to buy bread...
  10. Change Start Menu location based on number of monitors

Change Start Menu location based on number of monitors: I have two desktops (work and home) with more than one screen, on these computers, I would like my start menu on the far right side of the right screen. However, on computers with only screen (my laptop), I would like my start menu along the bottom. Is there any way to...