Windows 10: Change PC Settings Based on Location

Discus and support Change PC Settings Based on Location in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm curious if it is possible to change Windows settings based on my laptop's location. What I would like is a few settings (GPOs) to change based on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Brack, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Brack Win User

Change PC Settings Based on Location

I'm curious if it is possible to change Windows settings based on my laptop's location. What I would like is a few settings (GPOs) to change based on whether I am at home vs anywhere else.

I'm guessing that detecting the wireless/wired network I'm connected to, or looking for a server or specific piece of hardware (laptop dock) are the best ways to reliably determine the laptop's location. I'd prefer not to set up a Windows domain at home, however I'd imagine it would make it easier to accomplish what I'm trying to do.

I would prefer a native solution, however third party programs, scripting or programming is acceptable. I'm using Win 10 Pro x64.

:)

Brack, Nov 11, 2015

2. MixRadio location error

Hi,

I fixed this about 2 weeks ago. I don't know how, but the location status on my account was set to "Hong Kong". I don't remember doing it, and don't know if this was inadvertently changed by installing an English (UK) language-based Lumia Black Update from
    within China?

Anyhow, I uninstalled the app, changed my account location settings back to China, re-installed the app and now it works.

So, the big question is, why does the Nokia MixRadio app base it's location status on the location settings within the Nokia Account? Nokia MixRadio's media content is only permissible in some countries based on their media streaming content laws.

There is clearly a flaw here, because anyone who is in a country where they shouldn't have access to Nokia MixRadio (e.g. Hong Kong), can simply change their Nokia Account location settings to "China" and they have full access to the media content.

jimjamz---01, Nov 11, 2015
  3. how do I change my location in maps with windows 10

There's currently no way to change the location that the Maps app shows for your current location, it is based on whatever information is available for your PC. For PC's without GPS or a WIFI adapter, results are obtained using your IP address. Using this
    technique the results can vary widely in accuracy and can sometimes be incorrect.

Analy [MSFT], Nov 11, 2015
Thema:

Change PC Settings Based on Location

1. Change PC Settings Based on Location - Similar Threads - Change Settings Based

2. PC location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PC location: Can't get PC to recognize my location. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-location/964b233b-0bf4-4eba-a99e-a4b0d2580f3f
  3. Location setting?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Location setting?: How do I reset the computer location in Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/location-setting/910961fa-5e64-47ca-9548-1288de411e19
  4. How to set (change) download location for MS Store?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to set (change) download location for MS Store?: I have purchased a game but its trying to download to a full drive. I have another drive with loads of space. How do I redirect it please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-set-change-download-location-for-ms-store/b238ba65-6002-4061-a2c2-53dcf4dedf09"
  5. Location settings

Location settings: For some reason my location is not turned on according to some of the websites that I use. When I go to my Settings app I find that my location service is already turned on but I'm still being requested to turn it on. My banking website and Google maps are some of the sites....
  6. Change Power Settings based on Open Programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Change Power Settings based on Open Programs: Hey gusy, I have windows 10 and am wondering if i can change power settings. Such as if i have my NAS software open, not to go to sleep. Or if i hvae google chrome open not to go to sleep, however if these are not open to go to sleep after 1 hour. Thank you, 115567
  7. Change Start Menu location based on number of monitors

Change Start Menu location based on number of monitors: I have two desktops (work and home) with more than one screen, on these computers, I would like my start menu on the far right side of the right screen. However, on computers with only screen (my laptop), I would like my start menu along the bottom. Is there any way to...
  8. Location based default printer in windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Location based default printer in windows 10: Hey guys, Windows 7 had a feature where windows would select your default printer based on which network you are logged onto. I cannot seem to find this feature in windows 10 for the life of me. Has it been removed? I'm hoping it hasn't or there is at least some kind...
  9. I Need To Change My MBR PC To GPT Based PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I Need To Change My MBR PC To GPT Based PC: Hello All, In preparation of installing Windows 10 Anniversary Edition, I would like to change my old MBR based PC to a GPT based PC. What is the best way to accomplish this? I am already done converting all of my drives to GPT except my C: drive, do I change that before,...
  10. Change to Location of User Folders Not Reflected in Settings App

in Windows 10 Support
    Change to Location of User Folders Not Reflected in Settings App: I followed the tutorial Documents Folder - Move Location in Windows 10 to move my Documents folder to a separate partition. Did the same thing for my Music, Pictures and Video folders. Everything worked great. Nevertheless, the Win10 Settings app at Settings > Storage >...