Windows 10: Change Primary GPU in SLI

Discus and support Change Primary GPU in SLI in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I recently installed a second GTX 980 into my system for SLI. I knew that the card closest to the CPU would default as primary and it would run hotter,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by CaptainMurica, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Change Primary GPU in SLI

I recently installed a second GTX 980 into my system for SLI. I knew that the card closest to the CPU would default as primary and it would run hotter, but I became concerned when it was unable to boost higher than its base clock speed of 1126MHz due to thermals (the card with access to more air of course boosted over 1200). I tried hooking my monitor to the cooler card, but nothing output to the display.

Is there something I can do to give the hotter card a break? I want to either set the cooler card as primary or at least have the cooler card output to the monitor.

:)

CaptainMurica, Jan 11, 2016
  2. SterSter Win User

Dual Monitors Suddenly Stopped Working

Thank you for your response but I am happy to report the problem has been fixed! Apparently one of the recent GPU driver updates changed my SLI settings and disabled dual monitor displays.

If anyone else has this problem with two NVIDIA GTX 970 GPUs then go into the NVIDIA Control Panel by right clicking on the NVIDIA icon in your icon tray. Go to {NVIDIA Control Panel->3D Settings->Configure SLI, Surround, PhysX} then under "SLI Configuration"
    select "Activate all displays". Click apply in the bottom right of the window and the new setting should allow multiple monitors to work after your screen flickers off and on a couple times.

SterSter, Jan 11, 2016
  3. zabivaka Win User
    Missing pci simple comunication device driver with error code 28

this happened as I just put in my new GPU and now none will work

Specs :

CPU - i5 7600K

GPU - GTX 1070

Motherboard - MSI Z270 SLI plus

OS - Windows 10 64bit

zabivaka, Jan 11, 2016
Thema:

Change Primary GPU in SLI

1. Change Primary GPU in SLI - Similar Threads - Change Primary GPU

2. Change primary account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change primary account: I want to backup my files and programs since I'll be buying a new PC soon. I cannot access the yahoo account that's connected to my current PC's primary account and I want to change it to what I want to use now. However, it's not letting me do that. Help?...
  3. How to switch primary GPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to switch primary GPU: Hey there!Recently, I installed new software for my AMD GPU. So I realized that my actually GPU AMD Radeon RX 6600 is GPU 0, meaning it was barely being used when I was playing and actually my AMD Radeon Graphics where GPU 1, so they where the main/primary GPU. I tried to...
  4. How to switch primary GPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to switch primary GPU: Hey there!Recently, I installed new software for my AMD GPU. So I realized that my actually GPU AMD Radeon RX 6600 is GPU 0, meaning it was barely being used when I was playing and actually my AMD Radeon Graphics where GPU 1, so they where the main/primary GPU. I tried to...
  5. Changing primary accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Changing primary accounts: Hi,my father gave me the laptop I'm currently using as a gift several years ago, I never got around to swapping main accounts as i could just log in as my email, steam, and so on as myself with no issue. However recently I've been trying to add apps to my device via the...
  6. set geforce 930m as primary gpu vice intel gpu

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    set geforce 930m as primary gpu vice intel gpu: as the title says i wish that my laptop would use the G force GPU vice the intel GPU is there a hard setting i could use all help greatly appreciated DME 181748
  7. How to change primary gpu on amd radeon MSI bravo 15.6 laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change primary gpu on amd radeon MSI bravo 15.6 laptop: On my laptop the default gpu is my integrated one, meaning that in game my proper dedicated gpu is not used. I cannot find a setting in amd radeon that changes the primary gpu. If I disable the integrated graphics processor in device manager or go to graphics settings to...
  8. Changing primary user

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changing primary user: I want to delete my current Microsoft account (privacy issues) but it is currently being used as the primary user on my desktop. How do I go about removing this account and adding a new one while not losing any of my settings/data? submitted by /u/freshiii_ [link]...
  9. Notice there error GPU Temp monitor in Task Manager for Sli 2 x GPU

in Windows 10 Support
    Notice there error GPU Temp monitor in Task Manager for Sli 2 x GPU: Hello I have notice there error monitor for two GPU Sli.. there both GPUs are same temperature. I have check in my AIDI64 so there is correct monitor. I am sure the Task Manager do have error with monitor Temp for GPU2 See the photos and if you are the same? [img] [img]...
  10. Changing primary alias

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing primary alias: People on this forum have been complaining that they can't change their primary alias since at least as far back as May 8, 2015--over 2000 people on this forum. God know how many have called in for help like I have. One Microsoft customer server told me it was a known problem...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. change primary gpu in sli