Windows 10: Change/Redetect driver offline

Discus and support Change/Redetect driver offline in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello. On an newly AMD formatted w10 I carelessly changed AMD SATA driver to standard AHCI driver. Now the system cannot boot, not even into safe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by eLPuSHeR, Jun 27, 2019.

1. eLPuSHeR Win User

Change/Redetect driver offline

Hello.

On an newly AMD formatted w10 I carelessly changed AMD SATA driver to standard AHCI driver. Now the system cannot boot, not even into safe mode.

Is there any way to replace/redetect driver without having to reinstall?

Stupid boot repair doesn't do anything.

:)

eLPuSHeR, Jun 27, 2019
  2. DavidY Win User

DISM - Add or Remove Drivers on an Offline Image

Ah I thought you might be doing the DISM/drivers one.

It is good info and I use parts of this frequently when I'm reinstalling on my old hardware and need to manually add drivers.

I would suggest DISM /Get-Drivers as an alternate to the Powershell step in 2.2 - the table format is quite useful I find.

One method of applying the drivers I tried which seems to work (not sure how valid it is) when clean-installing a machine as a one-off:
    1. Export drivers as per Step 2
    2. Use DISM /Get-Drivers to show which driver is which, and copy only the ones I know are problematic to a subfolder, and add this subfolder to a bootable Windows 10 Setup USB
    3. Boot Windows 10 Setup from the USB
    4. Open a command prompt with Shift F10, type command 'wpeutil shutdown' but don't press enter. Instead, Alt-Tab back to Setup
    5. Follow the normal clean install process, delete partitions and let it install the relevant edition
    6. When it says Restarting in a few seconds, quickly Alt-Tab to the command prompt and press enter, to stop it restarting but shut down instead
    7. Boot again from the USB, go straight into Shift-F10, and use DISM /add-driver to add relevant drivers to the offline Windows drive as per Step 4
    8. wpeutil shutdown again, and let it restart this time, so that Windows boots and finishes configuring itself with the new drivers available to it.
    I found it easier than Mounting the image and also means I don't change the .WIM so I can use that on other hardware without fear of non-standard (and probably quite old) drivers getting in the way .

Although in some cases I could install and change it once Windows is up and running , one of 1709's default drivers causes a BSOD during installation itself, if I don't add the alternative manually using the above technique before it gets to that point.

But it's not a technique I've seen anywhere else so I'm probably bending the rules somewhere. *Wink

DavidY, Jun 27, 2019
  3. meebers Win User
    RetailDemo Offline Content?

Was cleaning up my 10162 install using cleanmgr. One option on the list was "RetailDemo Offline Content", it was 100MB. Not sure what this is, before I delete it. Suggestions?

meebers, Jun 27, 2019
  4. Sasqui Win User

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Jun 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Change/Redetect driver offline - Similar Threads - Change Redetect driver

2. Changing Offline Files Location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing Offline Files Location: Hi all,I have some files on a network server that I would like to sync with offline files. The only problem is that the files will be stored on the local hard drive. is there any possible way to change the location of the offline files folder eg to another connected hard...
  3. Changing Offline Files Location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing Offline Files Location: Hi all,I have some files on a network server that I would like to sync with offline files. The only problem is that the files will be stored on the local hard drive. is there any possible way to change the location of the offline files folder eg to another connected hard...
  4. Printer offline since modem was changed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Printer offline since modem was changed: My printer has gone offline and I tried turning off and on, restarting spooler, taking it off and putting it back. Can't get it back n line since I got a new modem from my ISP...
  5. Printer offline since modem was changed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Printer offline since modem was changed: My printer has gone offline and I tried turning off and on, restarting spooler, taking it off and putting it back. Can't get it back n line since I got a new modem from my ISP...
  6. Installing drivers to an offline Windows installation

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installing drivers to an offline Windows installation: I have Windows installed on 2 different drives. When booted into one drive, I want to be able to install drivers on the other installation which is offline without booting into it. I understand I can do this for a Windows Image, I just don't see if or how this translates to...
  7. I cannot change Offline to Online

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I cannot change Offline to Online: I cannot change Offline to Online, I have tried the button but it stays OffLINE https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-change-offline-to-online/084bf926-41a2-4bd5-92e3-9fce3ff8ea1c
  8. Change printer offline to online

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change printer offline to online: How do I turn printer online from offline https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-printer-offline-to-online/0109d8d6-e909-4652-8532-14a6604f06d7
  9. How to change Offline to online

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change Offline to online: How do I change offline to online https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-offline-to-online/da6527fc-de53-4c17-a073-f8412c5cd2db
  10. DISM - Add or Remove Drivers on an Offline Image

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    DISM - Add or Remove Drivers on an Offline Image: How to: DISM - Add or Remove Drivers on an Offline Image [img] Information Servicing an offline image, mounting an image, committing changes, it all sounds a bit complicated to an average Windows user. However, it's just geek speak meaning modifying default Windows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 dism redetect usb