Windows 10: Change Registry-Key with Powershell

Discus and support Change Registry-Key with Powershell in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Forum I have a Problem with changing Registry-Keys with PowerShell. I use the following entry: $path... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by emmapeel6490, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Change Registry-Key with Powershell

Hi Forum
    I have a Problem with changing Registry-Keys with PowerShell. I use the following entry:

$path "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\UserChosenExecuteHandlers \StorageOnArrival"
    Set-ItemProperty -Path $path -Name Default -Value "MSPromptEachTime"

The entry works but it doesn't Change the registry key, it creates a new one.
    As a result the Windows Settings aren't changed because the (Standard) Key is still the "leader". I can't Change the this "(Standard)" key. I also tried to write it exactly as described but the I got the same result.
    Any idea?

Thank you very much.

:)

emmapeel6490, Mar 10, 2019
  2. Roohi_Taj Win User

PowerShell 1 Execution policy is bad in registry

Hi SusanHout1,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Could you please help me with the below questions:

• What is the make and model of the computer?
    • What is the version of Windows installed on your computer?
    • Have you logged into the computer with the admin account?
    • When do you get this error message?

I have reviewed the information provided by you and I appreciate the time you have taken to resolve this issue, I realize how frustrating these things can be. We at Microsoft prioritize our customer’s satisfaction. Keeping that
    in mind, I will suggest you the steps which might take care of this issue.

I would suggest you to run the scan on the computer using Windows defender. To do so, follow the Microsoft article on
    Help protect my PC with Windows Defender Offline.
    Once the scan is done, check if the issue is fixed or help us with the error message.

To turn off controlled access on Windows 10, follow the steps mentioned in the article
    Allow a blocked app in Windows Security.

To fix the
    PowerShell 1 ExecutionPolicy, I suggest you to follow these steps.

Note: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry
    before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. To backup and restore registry key, refer Microsoft article on How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.

1. Press Windows andR
      key together on your Keyboard.
    2. Type Regedit and hit enter.
    3. Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PowerShell\1\ShellIds\Microsoft.PowerShell
    4. In the right pane, right click on the empty area and select New > select DWORD (32-BIT VALUE).
    5. Type: ExecutionPolicy
    6. Set the string value ExecutionPolicy to one of the following values:
      Restricted, AllSigned, RemoteSigned, Unrestricted, Undefined.

Change Registry-Key with Powershell 75b60ff9-d483-4190-8962-efd4e86269ba?upload=true.png

If you would like me to provide additional advice, simply respond to this thread. I will get notified and I’ll reply to you as soon as I can.

Hope it helps.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Mar 10, 2019
  3. asyntax Win User
    ATITool registry key

Hello,

During ATITool installation, the following registry key was added to my registry:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{85b5ddd0-e090-4b15-bdf2-a443a3ca0b66}"

After uninstalling the program, this key remained. I tried to delete it through the registry editor but it returned the following error:

"Cannot delete {85b5ddd0-e090-4b15-bdf2-a443a3ca0b66}: Error while deleting key."

I'm running Vista Home Premium 32-bit by the way. I also tried to change permissions for the key and deleting in safe mode, but neither of those worked either.

Any ideas on how i can remove this key? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

asyntax, Mar 10, 2019
  4. Frogger Win User

Change Registry-Key with Powershell

Modded Registry. Want Old Back....

did you try this

To restore the registry
    Open Registry Editor.
    Click Options, and then click Print to print these instructions. (If you are using the Help and Support Center, click Print above the topic area.) They will not be available after you shut down your computer in step 2.
    Click Start, and then click Shut Down.
    In the list, click Restart, and then click OK.
    When you see the message Please select the operating system to start, press F8.
    Use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.
    NUM LOCK must be off before the arrow keys on the numeric keypad will function.

Use the arrow keys to highlight an operating system, and then press ENTER.
    Caution

Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system. Before making changes to the registry, you should back up any valued data on your computer.
    Notes

To open Registry Editor, click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    Choosing Last Known Good Configuration provides a way to recover from problems such as a newly added driver that may be incorrect for your hardware. It does not solve problems caused by corrupted or missing drivers or files.
    When you choose Last Known Good Configuration, Windows restores information in registry key HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet only. Any changes you have made in other registry keys remain.

Frogger, Mar 10, 2019
Thema:

Change Registry-Key with Powershell

1. Change Registry-Key with Powershell - Similar Threads - Change Registry Key

2. Registry Key

in Windows 10 Customization
    Registry Key: hello, I'm wondering if this value found in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows is normal.the value name is "Load" with the value data of "C:\Windows\System32\msn.exe, C:\Windows\System32\msh.exe"thank you...
  3. Powershell command to change application advance security settings in registry.

Powershell command to change application advance security settings in registry.: In order to collect application data in the security audit logs for EventViewer the application permissions in the registry need to be adjusted. I have done this manually and have it working with Azure Sentinel. I need to deploy this across the entire range of assigned...
  4. protect specific registry key from change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    protect specific registry key from change: hello everyone. many somebody know if ti possible and how - to prevent specific registry key from change, rename delete and etc? many thanks in advance. 174450
  5. What are the PowerShell command codes could change the registry key?

in Windows 10 Support
    What are the PowerShell command codes could change the registry key?: Hi, everyone I want to change the permission to deny the registry key such as the picture attached as following. Firstly, I want to add a new user named as "everyone". Secondly, I want to change the permission of everyone to "deny full control". I want to use PowerShell to...
  6. windows defender registry key change

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows defender registry key change: hi, my windows denfender services become disable , not sure why. I already take ownership of registry key of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinDefend then change start key from 4 to 2, it still unable to change the key? any idea?...
  7. Registry keys registry keys

Registry keys registry keys: Where can I customize the file type/extension icon? John 137822
  8. Take registry key ownership via CMD or Regini or Powershell

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Take registry key ownership via CMD or Regini or Powershell: Hi ! I have a little problem. In my workplace we use Win 10 IOT LTSB. I have a task that i must clear the safeboot funkction of the Windows system. I googled for solving the problem, and i get answer that i must change registry key names...
  9. Change registry value in dynamically created registry key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change registry value in dynamically created registry key: Hello, I need find a way to disable the onboard microphone on a number of Windows 10 laptops I am imaging via SCCM OSD. After a lot of research it seems the best way to do this is by changing a registry value that controls whether the mic is enabled or disabled. I've...
  10. Change Registry-Key with Powershell

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Change Registry-Key with Powershell: Hi Forum I have a Problem with changing Registry-Keys with PowerShell. I use the following entry: $path "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\UserChosenExecuteHandlers \StorageOnArrival" Set-ItemProperty -Path $path -Name Default -Value...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Set-ItemProperty Path HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinDefend Name Start Value 0x00000002

2. how to change registry for adaptivaclientservice registry powershell

3. changing registry with powershell

4. change registry settings in powershell,
  5. powershell to change the registry key,
  6. how to change registry key from powershell,
  7. change registry permissions windows 10 powershell,
  8. how to edit windows registry key powershell,
  9. how to change reg key with powershell,
  10. registry changes powershell,
  11. changing reg key by powershell,
  12. change registry key powershell,
  13. pwershell a change to a registry key,