Windows 10: Change registry value in dynamically created registry key

Discus and support Change registry value in dynamically created registry key in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I need find a way to disable the onboard microphone on a number of Windows 10 laptops I am imaging via SCCM OSD. After a lot of research it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mgorski10, Apr 21, 2019.

1. mgorski10 Win User

Change registry value in dynamically created registry key

Hello,

I need find a way to disable the onboard microphone on a number of Windows 10 laptops I am imaging via SCCM OSD. After a lot of research it seems the best way to do this is by changing a registry value that controls whether the mic is enabled or disabled. I've tried using Devcon to disable the microphone, which after running the command will show the mic as disabled in control panel but it will continue to function. I found going to "sound" in control panel and disabling it from there will do the job but I need to automate this, hence the registry. The problem I have is the registry key the value for the mic is stored under is randomly generated when the laptop is built.

The key I need to modify is stored at this location:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Capture\<randomGUID>

DeviceState = DWORD

To disable the mic, the data for DeviceState should be set to 10000001 in hex or 268435457 in decimal.

I figure the best way to do this is might be to use powershell to search the registry for the key, assign it to variable, and then have it update the value. The criteria to find the key could be by the following value and data:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Capture\<randomGUID>\Properties

Value: a45c254e-df1c-4efd-8020-67d146a850e0},2 = REG_SZ

Data: Microphone Array

Unfortunately I know very little of powershell outside of running basic commands and do not know how to script this to make it work. Can anyone help me figure this out or if anyone has a better idea how to disable the mic, I'd be happy to listen.

Thanks in advance

:)

mgorski10, Apr 21, 2019

2. ForcedReboot Registry Key Value

Hi Daniel,

ForcedReboot is one of the subkeys in the registry. Subkeys contain data entries called values. The presence of a value on a key is a form of data that an application requires for it to run. An application opens a key and uses the values associated with
    the key to perform specific functions. A key can have any number of values, and the values can be in any form.

You can visit these links for further information about registry values:

Note: We do not recommend navigating and editing the values of the keys and subkeys in the registry. Changing the values of the keys and subkeys in the registry might cause serious system issues.

We would like to ask if you are experiencing any issues on your Windows device. Since you are interested on finding what the value of a subkey stands for, we think that you are trying to troubleshoot your computer. If in case you are having any errors or
    issues with your Microsoft products, let us know so that we could assist you further.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Apr 21, 2019
  3. How to restore registry values?

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You can perform system restore and check if it helps:

Perform System restore.

I suggest you to perform system restore and select a date prior to the changes which was done with the registry values and check if the issue gets fixed.

To perform System restore:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      System.
    • In the left pane, click on System Protection.
    • Select the option to system restore
      > next. It will show all restore points already created.
    • Select the date prior to the date on which you have made the registry changes.
    Registry disclaimer

To do so: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these
    steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article
    in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ )

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Try the above step and let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Apr 21, 2019
  4. Change registry value in dynamically created registry key

ForcedReboot Registry Key Value

We appreciate that you provided a clarification on your concern. Upon researching on this, we identified that the number on the Value stands for how the subkey behaves. If the Value is 0, it means that the subkey is disabled. And if the Value is not 0, then
    it means that the subkey is enabled. You can visit this link for your reference.

Note: We do not recommend navigating and editing the values of the keys and subkeys in the registry. Changing the values of the keys and subkeys in the registry might cause serious system issues.

If further assistance is needed, we are here to help.

Darleen Pen, Apr 21, 2019
Thema:

Change registry value in dynamically created registry key

1. Change registry value in dynamically created registry key - Similar Threads - Change registry value

2. Cannot create value or key, Error writing to the registry

in Windows 10 News
    Cannot create value or key, Error writing to the registry: [IMG]When some Windows users tried creating value or key in Registry Editor, they failed due to lack of permission or misconfiguration. This issue is mainly caused when the user doesn’t have permission to access or perform actions on the folder under which they are trying to...
  3. How to change TDR values and edit "Registry keys".

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change TDR values and edit "Registry keys".: Hi,I would like a technician to help/guide me through the process of editing the "TDR values" of the GPU.I would really appreciate if remote assistance is available Thanks!...
  4. How to change TDR values and edit "Registry keys".

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change TDR values and edit "Registry keys".: Hi,I would like a technician to help/guide me through the process of editing the "TDR values" of the GPU.I would really appreciate if remote assistance is available Thanks!...
  5. How to change TDR values and edit "Registry keys".

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Windows Registry key value change in different time

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Registry key value change in different time: Dear Sir, Customer has a Windows 2016 active directory using with group policy. He has a problem of Windows registry key value change time to time during computer usage for several hours. The registry value is Proxyoverride.When the computer startup after login , it has a...
  7. Windows Registry key value change in different time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Registry key value change in different time: Dear Sir, Customer has a Windows 2016 active directory using with group policy. He has a problem of Windows registry key value change time to time during computer usage for several hours. The registry value is Proxyoverride.When the computer startup after login , it has a...
  8. Windows Registry key value change in different time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Can user create a registry key value under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE??

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can user create a registry key value under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE??: Hello, I am looking for a solution where a non admin PC should read a reagistry value "EnableSelectiveSuspend" under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\ROOT_HUB20\4&18851ac7&0\Device Parameters. But actually the value is not present when the Power...
  10. I changed my registry value to show advanced power options, the registry value change...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I changed my registry value to show advanced power options, the registry value change...: It just happened one day to another. I used it to change the screen lockout from a minute to 60. submitted by /u/AswanStruyf [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e0qv9y/i_changed_my_registry_value_to_show_advanced/