Windows 10: Change roaming to local profile

Discus and support Change roaming to local profile in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi all,Hope you can help me with this. I have a computer with a roaming profile.When I try to change it to local, it remains as roaming I go to system,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by JuanmaGómez, Jan 26, 2022.

1. Change roaming to local profile

Hi all,Hope you can help me with this. I have a computer with a roaming profile.When I try to change it to local, it remains as roaming I go to system, profiles, and change from roaming to local. I don´t get any error. It simply doesn´t change it.What is happening?. Any idea of how to change it?.Thanks and best regards,

:)

JuanmaGómez, Jan 26, 2022
  2. rsbrux Win User

Restore Corrupt Roaming Profile from Good Local Profile?

Windows complains that my roaming profile is corrupt and says that it is logging me in with a local profile. This profile is missing a few customizations but seems to otherwise OK. Fixing this profile would be less work than reconfiguring a default profile, which is what the usual methods of dealing with a corrupt profile would have me do. Is there some way to use the local profile as the basis of a new roaming profile? Am I better advised to dispense with roaming profiles altogether and use 3d party software to keep my local profile in sync with my NAS?
    BTW, even though Windows claims to use a local profile, it is still writing to the roaming profile on the NAS.

rsbrux, Jan 26, 2022
  3. rsbrux Win User
    Restore Corrupt Roaming Profile from Good Local Profile?

It definitely was *not* a default profile I was seeing, as it contained many (but not all) of the *user-specific* customizations I had already made. Meanwhile, the system seems to have miraculously recovered, When I logged in this morning, I had my roaming profile again. The only change I made which might account for this is that I disabled Azure AD registration in gpedit.msc. It was spamming my event log with 304 and 307 errors, and I have only a local DC, not Azure AD.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. I forgot to mention above that I had also disabled fast startup. However I rejoiced too soon. The problem is repeatable. If I log on via Ethernet (connected to the same router as the NAS which is serving as DC and file server), the login successfully loads the roaming profile. If I log in via WLAN (on a router separated from the NAS by an additional router), I get the error message about using a local profile.
    I presume that this is a timing problem: once I am logged in, I can see all of the mapped drives on the NAS.
    Is it reasonable to suppose that the system is trying to load the roaming profile before the network connection is available?
    Is there a way to test this hypothesis or, better still, to ensure reliable timing?
    Furthermore, why doesn't the local profile look like the roaming profile?
    I thought the whole point of a roaming profile was to duplicate it locally for use when the client PC has no connection to the server.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. I did a little digging in the event log. The recent occurrences do not show:
    as I expected, but
    instead.
    This is surprising because at some of these times this was the only client PC running in the domain.

- - - Updated - - -

The User Profile Service Error does not depend on which router I am connected to. It has meanwhile also occurred when I had an Ethernet connection to the same router as the NAS. However, it does occur more often when I am connected via WLAN to a different router. It occurred to me that "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process." might be due to the antivirus software scanning the profile on the NAS, so I excluded the roaming profile directories from scanning. Nonetheless, the error continues to appear sporadically. At least the local and roaming profiles meanwhile appear to be in sync.

rsbrux, Jan 26, 2022
  4. Change roaming to local profile

How to disable roaming profile on Windows 10

Hi Tudor,

Thank you for your response with the current status of the issue.

I suggest you to follow the below steps for disabling roaming profile and check if it helps.

1. Click on Search bar.

2. Then type "Configure advanced user profile" without the quotes in the search bar and click on it.

3. Click on Change type button.

4. Then change to Local profile.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Jan 26, 2022
Thema:

Change roaming to local profile

1. Change roaming to local profile - Similar Threads - Change roaming local

2. roaming profile issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    roaming profile issue: hello m trying to pin point my issue i never play with roaming profile before every time i reboot my pc my pinned icon on task bar and also outlook signature ands some ssetting are resetplus icon on desktop are re arrange to the left not sure what to check to see why it...
  3. roaming profile issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    roaming profile issue: hello m trying to pin point my issue i never play with roaming profile before every time i reboot my pc my pinned icon on task bar and also outlook signature ands some ssetting are resetplus icon on desktop are re arrange to the left not sure what to check to see why it...
  4. Change roaming to local profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change roaming to local profile: Hi all,Hope you can help me with this. I have a computer with a roaming profile.When I try to change it to local, it remains as roaming I go to system, profiles, and change from roaming to local. I don´t get any error. It simply doesn´t change it.What is happening?. Any idea...
  5. Change roaming to local profile

Change roaming to local profile: Hi all,Hope you can help me with this. I have a computer with a roaming profile.When I try to change it to local, it remains as roaming I go to system, profiles, and change from roaming to local. I don´t get any error. It simply doesn´t change it.What is happening?. Any idea...
  6. Restore Corrupt Roaming Profile from Good Local Profile?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Restore Corrupt Roaming Profile from Good Local Profile?: Windows complains that my roaming profile is corrupt and says that it is logging me in with a local profile. This profile is missing a few customizations but seems to otherwise OK. Fixing this profile would be less work than reconfiguring a default profile, which is what the...
  7. Restore Corrupt Roaming Profile from Good Local Profile?

in Windows 10 Support
    Restore Corrupt Roaming Profile from Good Local Profile?: Windows complains that my roaming profile is corrupt and says that it is logging me in with a local profile. This profile is missing a few customizations but seems to otherwise OK. Fixing this profile would be less work than reconfiguring a default profile, which is what the...
  8. My Roaming User Profile was not completely syncronized, but... he's Local and not Roaming

My Roaming User Profile was not completely syncronized, but... he's Local and not Roaming: First one, I am a Linux User by default, I'm developer and Linux is much better for this. And then, lately I've trying use Windows more times, mostly for Games and try to use some OS new. Here's the issue: I was try to change my username on Win10, I thought this is a easy...
  9. Locally cached Roaming Profile problem

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Locally cached Roaming Profile problem: Hi, I have two PCs at home that I use. 1. My "Server" is an old Ivy Lake self build thats running Win 10 Pro. I use it to manage my network and run my Plex server, etc. I typically RDP into this PC either remotely or through my other desktop at home. 2. My desktop, which is...
  10. Roaming profile error

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Roaming profile error: Can anyone help me with this? I have already done 2 clean installs so far, and the last one I had restored from a backup on my external. I learned the hard way to back up your back up But for some reason not to long after my pc started to freeze up, not respond and then I got...