Windows 10: Change selected GPU in Graphic Settings?

Discus and support Change selected GPU in Graphic Settings? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have 2 GPU: [ATTACH] Applications can see both, and the ones that have the config let me change the GPU in the options, working just fine. But... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Alvaro Sugueti, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Change selected GPU in Graphic Settings?

I have 2 GPU:

Change selected GPU in Graphic Settings? c2d1fe9f-3165-4c17-8877-4e40ce8a4425?upload=true.png

Applications can see both, and the ones that have the config let me change the GPU in the options, working just fine.

But most applications don't have this option.

But since Aprils update, now Windows 10 has an option called the Graphic Settings, that lets you specify if you want to run an app with the "Power Saving GPU", or the "High performance GPU".

Sadly, Windows doesn't seem to recognize the Radeon RX 580 as a High Performance GPU, so as you can see here, this option doesn't work.

Change selected GPU in Graphic Settings? e355f7aa-a472-4b8b-93de-3652492eb77b?upload=true.png

So... Is there any way to change what Windows defines as a "High performance GPU"? Even if I have to change the registry.

:)

Alvaro Sugueti, Oct 5, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Select Primary Graphics Adapter

Hi Michail, try the steps below, depending on the make of your graphics card

For nVIdia graphics cards:

Open the Nvidia Control Panel. You can do this by right-clicking on the desktop or you can find the option within the notification area of the Taskbar.

Select Manage 3D Settings under 3D Settings.

Click on the Program Settings tab and select the program you want to choose a graphics card for from the drop down list.

Select the 'preferred graphics processor' in the drop down list (you can see what the automatic option is listed as global setting). If you want to use the dedicated graphics card, select High-performance Nvidia processor

For ATI/AMD graphics cards the process varies.

Open the control center in the same way as above.

You may need to open graphics then PowerPlay and set plugged in and/or battery to maximize performance. You can also try going to graphics then 3D and move the slider to performance. Your computer may also have a switchable graphics tab where you can change
    the settings for individual programs.

DaveM121, Oct 5, 2018
  3. keyvis Win User
    Select GPU to use by specific applications

I've said that I've tried it, and explained that for me specific GPUs are not available to select there. I have only available Power Saving and High Performance presets there that are set for the same GFX card (GeForce GTX 1060) for me,
    that is system default too. In NVidia on AMD settings you can only switch between integrated and dedicated GFX card, not between 2 cards especially from 2 different vendors. So, how to assign different GFX card to Power Saving preset? Or how to unlock option
    to select specific GFX card there besides those 2 presets?

keyvis, Oct 5, 2018
  4. Arjay Dom Win User

Change selected GPU in Graphic Settings?

GPU

Hi,

This issue may happen if the GPU is taking more time to display the graphics on your monitor and if the graphics card or driver is already problematic.

As an initial troubleshooting step, try to uninstall then reinstall the graphics driver and see if the issue will persist:

• Press Windows key + S and type devmgmt.msc.
    • Press Enter.
    • Expand Display adapters.
    • Right-click on your graphics driver.
    • Select Uninstall.
    • Click OK.
    • Restart your computer.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Arjay Dom, Oct 5, 2018
Thema:

Change selected GPU in Graphic Settings?

1. Change selected GPU in Graphic Settings? - Similar Threads - Change selected GPU

2. Unable to select GPU in Windows Graphics Settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to select GPU in Windows Graphics Settings: Problem: Windows does not allow me to choose which GPU to use for applications. Back in the day, this was done through Nvidia Control Panel. Windows will only show the GPU which the primary monitor has been connected to. I AM NOT trying to SLI these cards, I am trying to...
  3. Unable to select GPU in Windows Graphics Settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to select GPU in Windows Graphics Settings: Problem: Windows does not allow me to choose which GPU to use for applications. Back in the day, this was done through Nvidia Control Panel. Windows will only show the GPU which the primary monitor has been connected to. I AM NOT trying to SLI these cards, I am trying to...
  4. Unable to select GPU in Windows Graphics Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Not able to select gpu when selecting graphics settings in graphics performance preferances

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Not able to select gpu when selecting graphics settings in graphics performance preferances: Hello. I have been having this problem since today when i downgraded from windows 11 to windows 10. I was having too much problems on windows 11 so i went to 10. When i was on windows 11 i was able to choose between my apu im guessing it is and my discrete gpu on graphics...
  6. Not able to select gpu when selecting graphics settings in graphics performance preferances

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not able to select gpu when selecting graphics settings in graphics performance preferances: Hello. I have been having this problem since today when i downgraded from windows 11 to windows 10. I was having too much problems on windows 11 so i went to 10. When i was on windows 11 i was able to choose between my apu im guessing it is and my discrete gpu on graphics...
  7. Not able to select gpu when selecting graphics settings in graphics performance preferances

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Selecting GPU drop down list missing Graphics Settings

Selecting GPU drop down list missing Graphics Settings: I just upgraded to 21h1 to get manually choose my integrated CPU graphics for a game, sadly that drop down box list is missing under System>Right panel>down below>Graphics Settings. There is only two options Windows gave me such as power saving and high performance. I want to...
  9. Change the rendering GPU for Desktop Window Manager to a distinct GPU via the Graphic Settings

Change the rendering GPU for Desktop Window Manager to a distinct GPU via the Graphic Settings: There are some applications that do rendering in the past via the GPU Elektron App like Microsoft Teams for example. One could see the usage in Taskmanager for example. Something seems to have changed here with latest Windows Updates or maybe Nvidia GPU Driver update. But the...
  10. Cannot select second Nvida GPU in Graphics Settings GPU Preference.

Cannot select second Nvida GPU in Graphics Settings GPU Preference.: First of all, I have an Nvida 1070 (primary) and a 770 (extended). My integrated GPU is disabled in the BIOS. I'm running Windows 10. So, what I would like to do is make Chrome use the 770 since I use my primary 1070 to game and what have you. While watching videos on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. applications ignoring graphics settings when choosing GPU

2. how to modify graphic settings GTX

3. only power saving gpu available in windows 10 graphics settings