Windows 10: Change Sleep settings to keep the PC awake while copying data from external drive

Discus and support Change Sleep settings to keep the PC awake while copying data from external drive in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have been down loading some data to my hard drive which was going to take a few hours. Before it completed the laptop decided I hadn't been using the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Jseni, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Jseni Win User

Change Sleep settings to keep the PC awake while copying data from external drive

I have been down loading some data to my hard drive which was going to take a few hours. Before it completed the laptop decided I hadn't been using the system and shut down to save power. How can I make the system recognise that if data is being written to the harddrive, then it needs to remain active, yet still to save power when processes are completed?

***Original title: How to I get my powersave options to recognise that the hard drive is busy doing something and not to shutdown until it has finished?***

:)

Jseni, Aug 15, 2019
  2. Xylee Del Win User

Regarding copying of files in external drive from pc

Hi,

The message that appeared on your screen may have occurred due to the possible missing files if you'll try to copy it that way. We suggest that you follow these steps on how you can copy the file together with it's properties:

• Right click on the application (Bully) and click Properties.
    • On the application properties window, under the Shortcut tab, click
      Open File Location.
    • The File Location window will open.
    • Select everything. Copy and paste it to the external drive.
    • The copying process may take a while depending on the type of files.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Xylee Del, Aug 15, 2019
  3. Windows 10 sleep

I'd already tried using default power settings - no change.

As you suggested I created a test user account, that also fails to awake from sleep..

Thanks for your advice, any suggestions for next steps?

RichardPEdwards, Aug 15, 2019
  4. Change Sleep settings to keep the PC awake while copying data from external drive

Access Denied trying to copy from external drive

Hello,

We realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with copying file from external drive on C drive. We will certainly help you.

It would be grateful if you can reply to this questions in order to assist you further:

• Have you tried copying the file in some other location on your system?
    • What is the exact error message you receive?
    • Which all troubleshooting steps have you already tried?

We suggest you to try copying the file in Safe mode and check if you are able to. Follow the steps from link below:

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

Let us know the results. We will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Aug 15, 2019
Thema:

Change Sleep settings to keep the PC awake while copying data from external drive

1. Change Sleep settings to keep the PC awake while copying data from external drive - Similar Threads - Change Sleep settings

2. Icons in the Taskbar disappear after awaking the PC from Sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons in the Taskbar disappear after awaking the PC from Sleep: Some or All icons in the taskbar disappear after waking PC from Sleep, or when the screen of the laptop was put down and was turned back up.This happens in more than 1 PC I own. And this happens in both laptop and desktop, and with OEM and Retail version of Windows 11.How to...
  3. Copying Backup data files to an external drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copying Backup data files to an external drive.: Hi, I am Hemant, I make Astm A320 L7 BoltsI have several external drives attached to my Desktop machine. One has Genealogy files, one is for Backups, another is for archiving Photography.When I work on the Genealogical files I like to bring an entire family folder onto the...
  4. Copying Backup data files to an external drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Copying Backup data files to an external drive.: Hi, I am Hemant, I make Astm A320 L7 BoltsI have several external drives attached to my Desktop machine. One has Genealogy files, one is for Backups, another is for archiving Photography.When I work on the Genealogical files I like to bring an entire family folder onto the...
  5. Copying Backup data files to an external drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Colors on external display washed out after awake from sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Colors on external display washed out after awake from sleep: Hi,I have an MSI WS63 8SK with an NVIDIA P3200 Graphics card, connected to an LG Ultrafine 4k HDR display through a displayport. I currently have it in windows HDR mode, and it generally operates fine. I'm using the web based Lagom LCD test, and the gamma and contrast passes....
  7. awake from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    awake from sleep: I am all set thank goodness. I used command prompt to find what was waking my desktop.. Why ae there so many places where one can check or uncheck awaking the desktop from sleep. There are places in device manager, and places in power management along with others. When the pc...
  8. Error while copying data to external drive from OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error while copying data to external drive from OneDrive: I get this error message when copying from my OneDrive folder to an external drive, the external drive has plenty of free space. i'm using 176gb of 1tb of my OneDrive space. [ATTACH] ***Original title: error message when coping to external drive***...
  9. 100% Disk usage while copying data from USB drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    100% Disk usage while copying data from USB drive: Hi all, I'm facing a weird issue with Windows 10 where if I'm copying data from my USB 3.0 drive to my Hard drive it takes the disk usage to 100% thereby making the computer unusable. I'm having a Dell Inspiron 15 5577, 7th Gen Intel Core i5-7300HQ with 8 GB RAM, 5400 RPM 1...
  10. Is it "safe" to keep external hard drives awake 24/7 ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is it "safe" to keep external hard drives awake 24/7 ?: One small niggle I have is the 6 external HDDs I have, which are connected to docks, constantly take about 5 seconds to come to life when needed, I suddenly hear them whir up when I click on them or save to them. I have turned off "sleep" in Power settings, but this doesn't...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. power and sleep settings windows 10 hp