Windows 10: Change system/active partition

Discus and support Change system/active partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I would like to get rid of Disk 0 from my computer and change my new ssd drive Disk 1 / C:. Can I just mark the new ssd as active where... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mattq1, May 22, 2020.

1. Mattq1 Win User

Change system/active partition

Hello,

I would like to get rid of Disk 0 from my computer and change my new ssd drive Disk 1 / C:.

Can I just mark the new ssd as active where windows 10 is installed and that will work?

Change system/active partition 234a080f-1e5f-44a2-b01e-c91929df0d89?upload=true.png

:)

Mattq1, May 22, 2020

2. unmark a partition as "active"

After changing to active partition my computer doesn't boot so what can I do now?

Ayush Chandra, May 22, 2020
  3. unmark a partition as "active"

Hello Bob,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

Please be informed that marking a partition as active on a basic disk means that the computer will use the loader (an operating system tool) on that partition to start the operating system. An active partition is a partition on a hard drive set as the bootable
    partition that contains the operating system. So it is not advisable to configure anything related to boot partition.

Please follow the below steps to unmark the partition as active:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• Type in diskpart and press Enter.
    • To identify which disk you need to work with. Type the command: list disk.

This will list all the drives connected to your computer.

• To select the disk enter the command: select disk n

"n" will correspond to the disk # for the ssd you are referring to.

• To list all the partitions on the disk enter the command:
      list partition

• To select a partition use: select partition n

Substitute "n" correctly and it will select the particular partitions on that drive.

• To unmark the current partition as active use the command line:
      inactive

• Exit the command prompt using command:
      exit

• Reboot the system to let the changes happen.

Hope the above information is helpful. If you need further assistance, we would be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, May 22, 2020
  4. Change system/active partition

Changing active partition

I'm installing a new hard drive (just hard drives, no SSD or anything here), to use as the main Windows partition. When that's done, I want to set it as the active partition, then start moving files from the old partition. But I've never done this before. Is it really as easy as right-clicking the drive in the storage manager, setting as "active partition," and resetting? There are tutorials floating around, but seeing as I'm messing around with hard drives, I'd rather have someone's input.

AngryMerchant, May 22, 2020
Thema:

Change system/active partition

1. Change system/active partition - Similar Threads - Change system active

2. Change active EFI partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change active EFI partition: Hello,I am trying to update the BIOS on my laptop but it says 'esp disk space not enough'. I noticed that I have 2 efi system partitions: one is 1 GB and is on the SSD where the OS is installed. This is completely free. The other is 100 MB and is on an HDD and this seems to...
  3. Change active EFI partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change active EFI partition: Hello,I am trying to update the BIOS on my laptop but it says 'esp disk space not enough'. I noticed that I have 2 efi system partitions: one is 1 GB and is on the SSD where the OS is installed. This is completely free. The other is 100 MB and is on an HDD and this seems to...
  4. Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.: I recently performed a custom installation of Windows to get rid of another problem I was having. It left a SYSTEM D: drive in my files that I can't access. When I tried to plugged in my external hard drive, it defaulted to an E: drive letter. This messed with some paths for...
  5. Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.: I recently performed a custom installation of Windows to get rid of another problem I was having. It left a SYSTEM D: drive in my files that I can't access. When I tried to plugged in my external hard drive, it defaulted to an E: drive letter. This messed with some paths for...
  6. Change of the active partition in windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change of the active partition in windows 10: Hello,I have two windows 10 installed in the same disk, in 2 different partitions.The correct installation is the one that you can see as "New Windows". The other one in volume D: is not needed and I want to remove the whole partition and keep only C:But "D" is the active...
  7. Change of the active partition in windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change of the active partition in windows 10: Hello,I have two windows 10 installed in the same disk, in 2 different partitions.The correct installation is the one that you can see as "New Windows". The other one in volume D: is not needed and I want to remove the whole partition and keep only C:But "D" is the active...
  8. Change of the active partition in windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Changing the Active Partition on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing the Active Partition on Windows 10: I have an Aurora Alienware and I am trying to move my main Windows to another drive. It seems that this Bios is different and doesn't let me choose to boot from USB. Still researching. However, I was able to clone my C drive to the F drive new SSD, but now I am researching...
  10. Help with changing active partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Help with changing active partition: Several months ago I upgraded my SSD to a new larger one (Disk 0) and kept the smaller one for storage (Disk 3). I did a clean install of Win 10 on the new SSD (Disk 0) that I had previously formatted. When I did the clean install, I neglected to delete the partition ending...