Windows 10: Change system language after upgrade from W10 home to pro

Discus and support Change system language after upgrade from W10 home to pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I bought a brand new thinkpad for a lot of money in Shanghai. It did not occur to me that it would not be possible to change the language of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MartinSebastian1, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Change system language after upgrade from W10 home to pro

Hi,

I bought a brand new thinkpad for a lot of money in Shanghai. It did not occur to me that it would not be possible to change the language of the system from Chinese to English - not even from a clean install. For two days I've been trying to fiddle my way through a myriad of settings and downloads, and to my great chagrin I found out that in the middle of age of globalisation Microsoft sells software that is available in just one language. I guess that's what you call 'living the thug life'.

Ok, so instead of just sending my now bricked $1000 laptop back, I decide to upgrade to W10 Pro. I spend another respectable amount of cash on the upgrade, but I STILL can't change the default system language.

Am I missing something here? when I look on the system tab it clearly states that I am now running Pro. What do I need to do to be able to use my computer like a normal human being?

Please help,

Martin

:)

MartinSebastian1, Dec 7, 2018
  2. 95Viper Win User

Windows 8.1 update changed the language, can't change back

Maybe, these will help... it seems it is a common enough problem.

Language packs are no longer available after you upgrade to Windows 8.1

And, sort of the same here --> Add a language or keyboard

Quote from above MS web page:

Spoiler Download and install language packs
    You'll need to download the language pack if you want to make a language your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps).
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.
    • Tap or click a language that says Language pack available underneath, and then tap or click Options.
    • Tap or click Download. The download process might take a while, depending on your PC and the size of the language pack.
      If you want to make this your display language, see the next section "Change your Windows display language".
    Change your Windows display language
    To change your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps), first add a language, download and install the language pack, and then follow these steps.
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.
    • Tap or click the language that you want to set as your display language.
    • Tap or click Set as primary to move the language to the top of the list. If the language can become your Windows display language, you'll see Will be display language after next sign-in appear under the language.
    • Sign out and then sign back in to finish.
    And here is some more info --> Add Language Packs to Windows

95Viper, Dec 7, 2018
  3. laakspen Win User
    Windows 10 change system language in upgrade

Hi!
    I have windows 8.1 Pro Fin x64.
    I want to upgrade it to Windows 10 and keep my programs and settings unchanged and in upgrade change also system language to En-us in the upgrade process.

I have created using MS Media Creation Tool Windows 10 Pro x64 DVD.

If I change in Win 8.1 region, system locale, keyboard to English - Us and after that upgrade my win 8.1 to Windows 10 using the created DVD. Will the upgrade be successful and my new windows 10 automatic activated? After upgrade I change region, locale and keyboard to Finnish.

I know that I can change display language in Windows 10 to English, but I'm eager to change also system language to English when I upgrade.

Is this workaround to do the system language change?

Best regards

laakspen, Dec 7, 2018
  4. Change system language after upgrade from W10 home to pro

Language for non-Unicode programs > Change System Locale

Thanks for your time and troubles taken, Karthicka_R.

Went through the steps 1 to 5 and then 7.

After restarting, checked; still, Tamil is not found in the list of languages for 'Change System Locale'.

(In fact, I had done this before raising this query. On reading your reply, I removed Tamil and went through the steps as listed above in my reply. Since the language pack was already installed, I didn't have to do the step-5; the screen also indicated that
    the language pack is already there.)

Regards

Thiruvelan

VelanThiru, Dec 7, 2018
Thema:

Change system language after upgrade from W10 home to pro

1. Change system language after upgrade from W10 home to pro - Similar Threads - Change system language

2. System language in w10

in Windows 10 Customization
    System language in w10: Hi guys, so, my laptop's system language by default was Polish. First I've installed the new language package, changed it, restarted the laptop and etc. the problem was not solved. So then I changed the locale language to English, but still in some cases the Polish language...
  3. Attempt to upgrade from W10 Home to W10 Pro failure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Attempt to upgrade from W10 Home to W10 Pro failure: But not in the usual way - the Store would not accept the digital license for the W10 Pro I had purchased to do the upgrade - it offered me W10 Home again. So I tried using a physical disc for W10 Pro and it started fine and went online to collect update files to install....
  4. Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Home Edition and lost Pro after a system recovery

Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Home Edition and lost Pro after a system recovery: I have a laptop that I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 Home Edition. I recently did a restore of the system to factory settings via the Lenovo recovery app and it recovered to Windows 10 Home edition. I can't figure out how to get Windows 10 Pro back on the...
  5. Upgrade to Pro from Home

Upgrade to Pro from Home: I have a license for Pro but my computer died a sudden death. The new one I ordered has the Home edition. Will I be able to upgrade to the Pro version on the new system? I would think so but you never know. 118760
  6. Reusing W10 Home product key after upgrading to W10 Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reusing W10 Home product key after upgrading to W10 Pro: A long time ago I upgraded a computer from W10 Home to W10 Pro. This was a custom build and both the original W10 Home activation and the new W10 Pro activation were done via product keys ordered from Amazon. No Microsoft account has ever been involved with either key. Back...
  7. Is it possible to upgrade to Pro from Win 7 Pro after W10 upgrade?

Is it possible to upgrade to Pro from Win 7 Pro after W10 upgrade?: Hi, So try to stick with me here. A couple years back I had issues with the Windows 7 update system and spent literally 8 hours on the phone with Microsoft technicians trying to figure out what is causing it, and how they can try to repair it remotely etc. For a booby...
  8. Upgraded from W7 Pro, and got W10 Home...

Upgraded from W7 Pro, and got W10 Home...: Hi all, Done a fair bit of searching and my problem seems to be fairly unique. Long story short, I had W10 Home installed, formatted and installed an unused copy of W7 Pro, used the W10 Upgrade Assistant to upgrade to W10 again expecting to then have W10 Pro, but it still...
  9. Will I upgrade to W10 Pro or Home?

Will I upgrade to W10 Pro or Home?: Edit: I was able to upgrade to W10 Pro RTM and activate. The responses below that say this is not possible are wrong. Mentioned here also Build 10240: Did you get assigned a license/product key? : Windows10 Hi, I have a laptop with OEM key in the BIOS which shipped with W8...
  10. Upgrade from Home to Pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade from Home to Pro: I recently got a Lenovo Yoga 3 14 with Win 10 Home Pre-Installed. I want the Pro version to have access to the Group Policy Editor and other Pro features. If I buy the $99 upgrade can that be transferred to another computer if I decided to return this Lenovo and buy something...