Windows 10: Change system language after upgrade from W10 home to pro

Discus and support Change system language after upgrade from W10 home to pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I bought a brand new thinkpad for a lot of money in Shanghai. It did not occur to me that it would not be possible to change the language of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MartinSebastian1, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Change system language after upgrade from W10 home to pro

Hi,

I bought a brand new thinkpad for a lot of money in Shanghai. It did not occur to me that it would not be possible to change the language of the system from Chinese to English - not even from a clean install. For two days I've been trying to fiddle my way through a myriad of settings and downloads, and to my great chagrin I found out that in the middle of age of globalisation Microsoft sells software that is available in just one language. I guess that's what you call 'living the thug life'.

Ok, so instead of just sending my now bricked $1000 laptop back, I decide to upgrade to W10 Pro. I spend another respectable amount of cash on the upgrade, but I STILL can't change the default system language.

Am I missing something here? when I look on the system tab it clearly states that I am now running Pro. What do I need to do to be able to use my computer like a normal human being?

Please help,

Martin

:)

MartinSebastian1, Dec 7, 2018
  2. 95Viper Win User

Windows 8.1 update changed the language, can't change back

Maybe, these will help... it seems it is a common enough problem.

Language packs are no longer available after you upgrade to Windows 8.1

And, sort of the same here --> Add a language or keyboard

Quote from above MS web page:

Spoiler Download and install language packs
    You'll need to download the language pack if you want to make a language your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps).
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.
    • Tap or click a language that says Language pack available underneath, and then tap or click Options.
    • Tap or click Download. The download process might take a while, depending on your PC and the size of the language pack.
      If you want to make this your display language, see the next section "Change your Windows display language".
    Change your Windows display language
    To change your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps), first add a language, download and install the language pack, and then follow these steps.
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.
    • Tap or click the language that you want to set as your display language.
    • Tap or click Set as primary to move the language to the top of the list. If the language can become your Windows display language, you'll see Will be display language after next sign-in appear under the language.
    • Sign out and then sign back in to finish.
    And here is some more info --> Add Language Packs to Windows

95Viper, Dec 7, 2018
  3. laakspen Win User
    Windows 10 change system language in upgrade

Hi!
    I have windows 8.1 Pro Fin x64.
    I want to upgrade it to Windows 10 and keep my programs and settings unchanged and in upgrade change also system language to En-us in the upgrade process.

I have created using MS Media Creation Tool Windows 10 Pro x64 DVD.

If I change in Win 8.1 region, system locale, keyboard to English - Us and after that upgrade my win 8.1 to Windows 10 using the created DVD. Will the upgrade be successful and my new windows 10 automatic activated? After upgrade I change region, locale and keyboard to Finnish.

I know that I can change display language in Windows 10 to English, but I'm eager to change also system language to English when I upgrade.

Is this workaround to do the system language change?

Best regards

laakspen, Dec 7, 2018
  4. Change system language after upgrade from W10 home to pro

Language for non-Unicode programs > Change System Locale

Thanks for your time and troubles taken, Karthicka_R.

Went through the steps 1 to 5 and then 7.

After restarting, checked; still, Tamil is not found in the list of languages for 'Change System Locale'.

(In fact, I had done this before raising this query. On reading your reply, I removed Tamil and went through the steps as listed above in my reply. Since the language pack was already installed, I didn't have to do the step-5; the screen also indicated that
    the language pack is already there.)

Regards

Thiruvelan

VelanThiru, Dec 7, 2018
Thema:

Change system language after upgrade from W10 home to pro

1. Change system language after upgrade from W10 home to pro - Similar Threads - Change system language

2. unable to upgrade from w10 home to pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to upgrade from w10 home to pro: unable to upgrade from w10 home to pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-upgrade-from-w10-home-to-pro/3c031906-3508-4d7a-a288-c81b6cb5e8cf
  3. unable to upgrade from w10 home to pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to upgrade from w10 home to pro: unable to upgrade from w10 home to pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-upgrade-from-w10-home-to-pro/3c031906-3508-4d7a-a288-c81b6cb5e8cf
  4. unable to upgrade from w10 home to pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. W10 image after upgrading from Home to Pro?

W10 image after upgrading from Home to Pro?: My laptop came with Windows 10 Home preinstalled with an image. I upgraded my Home version to Windows 10 Pro. I may need to "recover" my Windows 10 Pro installation. However, I want to be prepared. Based on the Windows 10 Recovery options, will it recover my Windows from...
  6. Watermark activated after upgrade to w10 pro from w10 home

Watermark activated after upgrade to w10 pro from w10 home: Hello, I cannot activate windows after an upgrade to Pro from Home. The watermark remains on screen at all times. All I want is to revert back to Windows 10 Home because it says my license is only valid for home, but I am stuck in pro and it gives me trouble when attempting...
  7. Pronlem with W10 Pro Upgrade from Home

Pronlem with W10 Pro Upgrade from Home: I bought W10 Pro. Install failed. I spoke to someone in Live Chat who assured me that the fix provided would work. It didn't. When I try to use the Live chat now the old conversation is still there but no one is listening. I have a cryptic hex code for the error and brief...
  8. Upgrading W10 Home to W10 Pro

Upgrading W10 Home to W10 Pro: I bought a new PC and am attempting to upgrade from the W10 Home that came with the PC with a version of W10 Pro that I bought to upgrade my old PC but the new machine will not recognize the software on the flash drive containing the W10 Pro upgrade...
  9. Upgrading from W10 Home to Pro

Upgrading from W10 Home to Pro: I am thinking about upgrading to W10 Pro but I have a question. I have 3 computers and they are all about 7 years old so in your opinion would this update be beneficial or should I just buy a new one. Thanks 162616
  10. Upgrade W10 Home to PRO ?

Upgrade W10 Home to PRO ?: I'm needing a workable procdure for this upgrade. Since its been a long time since I purchased a NEW manufactured system (usually build all my own desktops), I know little in what form the machine will be in at power up. Some history first: I have just purchased a Lenovo...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. langue systeme w10