Windows 10: Change the File Explorer default view of files

Discus and support Change the File Explorer default view of files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Sorry to ask what I am sure is a simple question, but I have searched the internet, and nothing I tried works, or if it seems to work, then after I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RobertMcN, Aug 23, 2021.

1. RobertMcN Win User

Change the File Explorer default view of files

Sorry to ask what I am sure is a simple question, but I have searched the internet, and nothing I tried works, or if it seems to work, then after I reboot, the old default return. Specifically, whenever I open Windows 10 File Explorer and click on a folder, the files are displayed in the "Details" view. I much prefer the "List" view. So I click on the "View" tab at the top of the screen and then click on the "List" view. but if I go back another time the default View will be "Details." It would be nice if photos were displayed as "Large Icons," while all other files were displayed as "List."

:)

RobertMcN, Aug 23, 2021

2. setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Aug 23, 2021
  3. Set default in File Explorer to List View in Windows 10

Here's how to change the default view for all folders of the same type (e.g. Documents)

1. First, change the layout to any folder of the Document-type to List View.
    2. Then open the "Change folder and search options" (in the View tab on the explorer window), then go to the view tab there.
    3. Finally choose "Apply to folders." Click Yes, and the List View will then be applied to all folders of the same type
    Picture-type folders will not be affected by changes made to other folder types.

GamertagCC, Aug 23, 2021
  4. Change the File Explorer default view of files

File Explorer default veiw setting Win 10 Pro

Hi Bob,

You can change the default settings of your File Explorer view. If you would like to sort it by Date, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Go to Start, type File Explorer.
    • Select View located at the top of the address bar.
    • Locate Sort by.
    • Select Date.
    • Choose between Ascending and Descending.
    • Close the File Explorer and check back if the changes applied.

Let us know if you need anything else. We're here to help.

Ronalene Mat, Aug 23, 2021
Thema:

Change the File Explorer default view of files

1. Change the File Explorer default view of files - Similar Threads - Change File Explorer

2. Change the default file explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change the default file explorer: I recently downloaded “files” from windows store, its a more modern and simple file explorer. Is it a way to change the default file explorer? submitted by /u/CandidSchedule1281 [link] [comments]...
  3. Changing default File Explorer.

Changing default File Explorer.: How can I change the default File Explorer in Windows 10? The legacy Explorer takes too long to load some files in a folder, so I'm using an alternative (Files UWP Preview). It's better, load times are shorter so I've decided to change the default explorer to Files UWP (if...
  4. Word and File Explorer default folder view

in Windows 10 Customization
    Word and File Explorer default folder view: I want to change the folder view in Word and File Explorer to show only the columns I want, and in the order I want. For example, I want the order to read: Name, Date Modified, Size, Type. Now, Type always precedes Size, no matter how many times I change it. [Moved by...
  5. change default file explorer?

change default file explorer?: Recently I found and installed an app called Files UWP and while I like it very much, I can't find any way to make it my default file explorer submitted by /u/KibSquib47 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hh2stm/change_default_file_explorer/
  6. Changing views of folders and files in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing views of folders and files in File Explorer: New to Windows 10 here from Windows 7 and am having lots of difficulty adjusting to how to see my folders and files. For example, I don't want to see clusters of numerically named folders and files and then A-H, I-P etc. I want to see all folders on top, in order of date...
  7. Windows 10 Change File Explorer Default View|

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Change File Explorer Default View|: https://funkyimg.com/i/2UB7q.png Somehow this ended up on my Download folder, How do I fix it so it isn't in my download folder? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-change-file-explorer-default-view/10317313-4919-4451-9f5b-acd667a7eaaf"
  8. Changing File Type Views in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing File Type Views in Explorer: I have many, many photo and video files separated into many subfolders. I'd like to change all of certain types of files to a different view: all video files to extra large icons, for instance. The trouble is, I don't want to change the icon for the subfolders they're...
  9. Changing File Type Views in Explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Changing File Type Views in Explorer: I have many, many photo and video files separated into many subfolders. I'd like to change all of certain types of files to a different view: all video files to extra large icons, for instance. The trouble is, I don't want to change the icon for the subfolders they're...
  10. Making "list" default view for file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Making "list" default view for file explorer: How can I make the file explorer always use "list" view when opening files and folders? Thanks 65271