Windows 10: Change the way new devices are added to the Devices and Drives list

Discus and support Change the way new devices are added to the Devices and Drives list in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hopefully this is in the correct place, but I am sure a mod will move it if it is not so with that being said: By default, anytime a new devices is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Nosx, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Nosx Win User

Change the way new devices are added to the Devices and Drives list

Hopefully this is in the correct place, but I am sure a mod will move it if it is not so with that being said:

By default, anytime a new devices is added to the system (a phone connected via USB for example) the icon for that device is placed in the first position in the Devices and Drives list under This PC.

This behavior is really annoying because it pushes all the other icons that were already in the list to the next position in the list which totally messes with my muscle memory when navigating within the folder.

A simple fix for this issue is to make it so that any device added to the system is added to the END of the list as is shown in the attached image and the way it was done in previous versions of Windows. This way, all icons stay in their default position in the list and all is well in the universe.

The question of course is how to achieve the desired result either by some registry hack or by changing some hidden menu setting from explorer or some other method entirely.

This is where you fine folks come in with your infinite wisdom to save the day and I thank you for your time and replies in advance.

Change the way new devices are added to the Devices and Drives list [​IMG]

(The default view before any device is added to the system ... homeostasis achieved)

(After a device has been added to the system.... Annoying +1)

(Desired result .... Peace on Earth)

:)

Nosx, Feb 7, 2019
  2. 7IM
    7im Win User

GPU-Z device list enumeration, device order?

Specifically, how are the the GPUs listed in the drop down sorted, or determined? Vendor and PCI ID? OS hardware device list? Other?

Sorry if this was answered somewhere already. Searching for "GPU LIST ORDER" and like terms were not helpful.

Thanks.

3. No hardware listed in Device manager?

I don't konw whathappend but in Device manager and in my Network connections there is nothing where there used to be a Modem listed and all my hardware in Device Manager. What happend and how do I fix this?

Change the way new devices are added to the Devices and Drives list What%20the%20Crap.jpg

AphexDreamer, Feb 7, 2019
  4. grumpgrin Win User

Adding PC to Microsoft account list of devices

Hello,

I go into Microsoft account and look under list of devices and it tells me that there are no devices associated with the Microsoft Account. Really? That is strange because the PC I am using is signed in on the Microsoft account. Because the device is not
    listed, it is causing problems with some apps and stuff.

From support around adding devices, it would seem you can only add win 10 devices? So is this why my PC is invisible - because it is running 8.1?

By the way, I have tried waiting for 30 days and it does not automatically appear. I have also signed in with a local and then redone with a Microsoft account and that does nothing either.

Any suggestions please?

regards,

grumpgrin, Feb 7, 2019
Thema:

1. Change the way new devices are added to the Devices and Drives list - Similar Threads - Change devices are

2. Adding Device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding Device: How to add iphone 6 as device in my mircosoft account. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adding-device/0aed1d9a-e1ba-46c5-8754-c05c7d5c1469
  3. Adding Device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adding Device: How to add iphone 6 as device in my mircosoft account. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adding-device/0aed1d9a-e1ba-46c5-8754-c05c7d5c1469
  4. Adding Device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Adding devices

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Adding devices: I have a Microsoft account allowing me to register up to 5 devices. I have 3 registered. I am trying to register another 2 but I'm getting the message that the system is not recognizing their serial numbers. What can I do?ThanksJerry...
  6. Adding new device

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Adding new device: when trying to add my new windows computer to my account, i continue to get the unable to find serial number message https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adding-new-device/a1af4849-69d2-4140-b500-92ea7638150b
  7. Adding New Device

Adding New Device: I have a new Dell 3793 laptop running WIN10 Ver 20H2 and have successfully installed SonicStage 4.3.01.14050 I can't get my SONY MD-RH1 MINI DISK to be recognised by the laptop. It all worked on my previous Dell Desktop running WIN10. I can't find a driver update for Net...
  8. Two unknown device gets added in my "Device List" automatically.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Two unknown device gets added in my "Device List" automatically.: I am using windows 10. I recently installed and uninstalled Docker and VMware after which I got weird screen flickering issues after shutting down the laptop and powering it on. I had to restart after turning on in order to stop the weird screen flickering. I think I found...
  9. Adding a device

Adding a device: I had no problem connecting my TV to my Surface, then the Surface no longer "sees" the TV when trying to add a device. What happened? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adding-a-device/f163f0c0-dfd6-46d6-9dea-da6700bcd9dd
  10. Adding Device

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Adding Device: I want to download whiteboard. I have added my laptop to Microsoft by going to my accounts and logging in into Microsoft. But when I try to download whiteboard, it says my device is not listed and suggests me to do things which I actually did....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. change the way windows searches for drivers