Windows 10: Change to NO default App

Discus and support Change to NO default App in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; for HTT files windows has Robohelp as the default program. I did this. I want to change it to NOTHING. I don't want windows to choose any app for HTT... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ReseBrown, Jun 23, 2020.

1. ReseBrown Win User

Change to NO default App

for HTT files windows has Robohelp as the default program. I did this. I want to change it to NOTHING. I don't want windows to choose any app for HTT file types. Currently when in Robohelp, if I try to open an .htt file, windows opens a new instance of the application.

:)

ReseBrown, Jun 23, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

Change to NO default App [​IMG]

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

3. dalchina Win User
    How to change default app for file type

@Bree - yes, I'm quite aware of this thanks, but as you will see it's missing. I recall reading that clicking the dialogue at a certain point in blank space made it appear, and trying that once successfully, but doesn't seem to help now. Plenty of other similar reports of this option being missing.

'Fix' described here: (essentially unassociate the extension)
    Windows 10 "Always use this app" checkbox missing - Super User

dalchina, Jun 23, 2020
  4. Change to NO default App

Cannot change the default apps by using control panel

Original Title: Cannot change default apps.

As said, I cannot change the default apps by using control panel > ... > Default Apps tab.

I cannot change any of the default programs. I use paint.net to edit/view photos and I cannot set it to the default program even though it is on the list, it does not change and i'm stuck with the default photo viewer. This happens with any other app actually,
    I cannot change the default music player there, nor browser or anything.

I followed these steps as suggest by a microsoft engineer, post 2, and later on, no avail.

Can't change default apps in Windows 10

I refuse to use work arounds, I'd like a proper solution is possible, thank you.

RodrigoDrt, Jun 23, 2020
Thema:

Change to NO default App

1. Change to NO default App - Similar Threads - Change default App

2. change "default app"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    change "default app": I have just bought a new computer and moved from Win10 to Win11.I used a program on the Win10 D: drive, which when moved to the new computer became the Win11 G: drive. The program's data file contains much of the license data used to reinstall the programs in the old Win10...
  3. change "default app"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    change "default app": I have just bought a new computer and moved from Win10 to Win11.I used a program on the Win10 D: drive, which when moved to the new computer became the Win11 G: drive. The program's data file contains much of the license data used to reinstall the programs in the old Win10...
  4. Changing default open app

Changing default open app: How can I change the default open app for pdf files when windows doesn't make adobe acrobat available as an option only Microsoft Edge? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-default-open-app/d2fd766b-1b4d-4f25-9124-5c5ae0a54cd2
  5. Default Apps Change By Themselves

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default Apps Change By Themselves: Just as the title states, I'm on Windows 10 Enterprise, all updates are installed. My default apps change nearly once a day. Example: If I set Adobe AC as my default PDF reader today, tomorrow when I come back to my station, the default app is Microsoft Edge. Is I set...
  6. Changing default apps

Changing default apps: I have a old MS word program2010that I own and works well on my Win 10 pc. When I open any doc the default program or app is the one that came with the the Win 10 PC, which you have to activate and purchase. Im perfectly happy with my old version. When I go to change it in...
  7. Default App change

Default App change: Windows 10 does not appear to give me the ability to change my browser default. The current comments I'm reading seem to confirm this. Is it true? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-app-change/308c282c-6769-4cd6-bef7-d3d46ade53f7
  8. changing default apps

changing default apps: I cannot change twinui as default app for videos or photos I turned off screen lock and now I can change default to playing music but when I try change default app for photos or videos the window just closes...
  9. Cannot change default apps

Cannot change default apps: Windows 10 Education Version 1803, OS build 17134.345 I cannot change the default apps for opening files with the extensions .ai and .R. I have checked the obvious stuff, such as creating a new user profile, restarting the PC, trying to change it via Open with... - nothing...
  10. Cannot change App Defaults

Cannot change App Defaults: I cannot change any of the App Defaults. Is there a solution for this? First, I don't like Edge and want to change the browser, but windows 10 will not change the default. Another default is for email. I want Outlook 2016 but, again can't change it. that is just 2 of many....