Windows 10: Change to taskbar icon layout

Discus and support Change to taskbar icon layout in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Just today the icons on the taskbar have changed. When a item pinned to the task bar is opened, the name of that item now shows beside the icon,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AndrewJonesFoto, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Change to taskbar icon layout

Just today the icons on the taskbar have changed. When a item pinned to the task bar is opened, the name of that item now shows beside the icon, therefore occupying more space on the taskbar. if multiple folder windows are opened, each individual folder shows on the task bar, whereas before they would be grouped into a single icon

I have a multi-display set up and it is only doing this on the task bar of the main display. Is it possible to customise this back to the way it was before, with just the icon showing?

Change to taskbar icon layout 1817bf96-d49b-4f0b-944d-3239ae55cfbd?upload=true.jpg

Latest version of Windows 10 installed fully up to date

:)

AndrewJonesFoto, Jun 17, 2020
  2. Yaqub K Win User

System Icons on taskbar

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Are you referring to the clock system icon on the taskbar?

If so, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Click on the search bar on the taskbar.

• Type system icons.

• Under Turn System Icons ON or OFF, turn On the Clock and check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Jun 17, 2020
  3. MCK
    mck Win User
    Cannot change desktop icon

Sometimes a desktop icon changes from what it was to a plain white folder. Might be something I did but not sure what.

To change it to the icon I want, I go:
    1. Rt-click icon > Properties > Change icon
    2. I select the icon I want from the thumbnails of icons.
    3. Click OK
    4. Click Apply
    But the icon does not change. It just stays looking like a white folder.
    HOWEVER, if I pin the icon to the taskbar, the icon on the taskbar does look like the icon I selected in step-2. So the change is registered with Win10 but the icon on the desktop just doesn't change.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

4. Mark Ole Win User

Change to taskbar icon layout

Taskbar icons

Hi,

To address your concern, follow the steps below on how to show hidden icons on the taskbar.

• Open Settings, and click on the Personalization
      icon.
    • Click on Taskbar on the left side, and click on the
      Select which icons appear on the taskbar
      link under the Notification area section on the right.
    • Turn on Always show all icons in the notification area at the top

Let us know how it goes.

Mark Ole, Jun 17, 2020
Thema:

Change to taskbar icon layout

1. Change to taskbar icon layout - Similar Threads - Change taskbar icon

2. Change Applications Icon on the Taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Applications Icon on the Taskbar: I'm trying to change an applications icon. I've tried changing the icon for the shortcut, but when the application loads, it's using the old icon. How do I get Windows to show the new icon on the Taskbar?...
  3. Change Applications Icon on the Taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Applications Icon on the Taskbar: I'm trying to change an applications icon. I've tried changing the icon for the shortcut, but when the application loads, it's using the old icon. How do I get Windows to show the new icon on the Taskbar?...
  4. Change Taskbar Icon Size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Taskbar Icon Size: I never commanded my taskbar to change anything so maybe this came with an update but I do not need extra large icons on my task bar just to see what I'm clicking on. I click on the taks bar to change the icon saize and click on taskbar settings and it's not even an option!...
  5. Change Taskbar Icon Size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Taskbar Icon Size: I never commanded my taskbar to change anything so maybe this came with an update but I do not need extra large icons on my task bar just to see what I'm clicking on. I click on the taks bar to change the icon saize and click on taskbar settings and it's not even an option!...
  6. Icon change to taskbar problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icon change to taskbar problem: I am literally desperate. I searched it on Youtube google everywhere and find no solution on this problem. I am trying to make my desktop clean and for some reason I cannot pin my GTA V on my taskbar with a changed icon to match my other apps without showing it as a epic...
  7. Taskbar icons not changing.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar icons not changing.: Over a year ago I downloaded some icons for my taskbar. I had to download the icons, and then change the icon through windows, and then run the Reset Icon Cache tweak in Winaero Tweaker to actually get the icons to change. However, I decided to finally change it up, and now...
  8. Specify The Order Of Taskbar Icons In A Managed Taskbar Layout XML File

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Specify The Order Of Taskbar Icons In A Managed Taskbar Layout XML File: Hi, I have a start and taskbar modification .xml file that is used with group policy for users and everything is working fine. The only issue is that regardless of the order I specified, Microsoft Edge and File Explorer always end up on the left. Every other icon respects...
  9. Taskbar icons have changed

Taskbar icons have changed: Hi, The icons for windows store and Edge have mysteriously changed on the taskbar. The icons remain perfectly okay on the desktop and programme list but appear as tiny 'squashed' ones on the taskbar. I have tried unpinning and re dragging the perfect desktop ones onto the...
  10. Changing taskbar icons?

Changing taskbar icons?: hey everyone new to this forum and windows in general (i come from a mac and than linux background). I was wondering if its possible to change somehow the firefox and spotify icons to match those of the default windows task bar icons so it looks more uniform? in linux...