Windows 10: Change User Account Admin rights

Discus and support Change User Account Admin rights in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I am the sole user of this computer. The control panel tells me I am an administrator but when I go into my account it says I am a standard user... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by phynbarr, Aug 29, 2015.

1. phynbarr Win User

Change User Account Admin rights

I am the sole user of this computer.

The control panel tells me I am an administrator but when I go into my account it says I am a standard user and won't let me change it to Administrator.

I just want to manage my own computer and - for instance - delete files on a CD which has somehow become write protected.

I googled lusrmgr.msc but when I put it in run was told this version of Windows 10 didn't have those rights

thanks in advance

:)

phynbarr, Aug 29, 2015

2. Lost all user account admin rights

After windows 10 update all user accounts have been stripped of all admin rights and can't find an answer anywhere online. This is the 4th time I have to roll back from this update. Can someone tell me how to fix this issue. Thanks

lore102462, Aug 29, 2015
  3. Lost all user account admin rights

After rolling back from the update, did it restore the Administrator privilege?

I would block the update until further notice.

Many are reporting the same problem too and it looks like this update is buggy.

Is there an option or work around to block updates or hardware drivers that might cause problems?

Yes, Microsoft has released a KB update (KB3073930) that will let users block or hide Windows or driver updates.

You can download it at the following link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

or

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f2...

After downloading, launch it, click Next, wait while it detects pending Windows Updates.

Click the Hide Updates menu.

Scroll through the list then select then select the update. Check the box next to the update then click Next to confirm changes.

I suggest you use the Feedback Hub to submit a bug report detailing your problem.

Press Windows key + F

This will open the Feedback hub

Proceed to submit your report.

You can reach out to key folks on the Windows Engineering team through Twitter

Dona @ #MSBuild (@donasarkar) | Twitter

Brandon LeBlanc (@brandonleblanc) | Twitter

Jen Gentleman (@JenMsft) | Twitter

Jason (@NorthFaceHiker) | Twitter

Make sure you send short link to them. They are known to be very responsive and might be able to point it in the right direction.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 29, 2015
  4. Change User Account Admin rights

Trying to delete files on a CD? Surely you jest!!! A CD is a read only device, you can NOT delete anything off of a CD.
    How did you install Windows 10 without making yourself the Administrator. I've installed W-10 at least a dozen times so far and I've always come up as the ONE and ONLY Administrator.
    But still, I have to install and use "Grant Admin Full Control" to be able to 'Take Ownership' of certain files and folders.
    Start here: And, Good Luck!
    *Cool

TechnoMage, Aug 30, 2015
  5. phynbarr Win User
    Dowloaded beautifully, thank you.

trying to run it - double click and I get "choose an app from store" Whaaaat?

and then when I "choose an app" (FFS) it wants a login account.

this rate I'll be going back to windows 7

phynbarr, Aug 30, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 30, 2015
  7. phynbarr Win User
    you've all been very welcoming and generous. However, your suggestions aren't solving my problem.

why can't I - as sole user of this PC - have admin rights to my own machine?

Change User Account Admin rights [​IMG]

the minute I select Administrator the option to change account type is greyed out.

Perhaps you can't in Windows 10. In that case, it is ridiculous

Thanks again

phynbarr, Sep 1, 2015
  8. Kari Win User

It is not ridiculous, it is a case of a user misunderstanding it completely.

The user Stella in your screenshot very clearly already has an Administrator account, she is a local administrator (#1 in screenshot below). Because the user has selected the Administrator selection in the dialog (#2), Windows needs to make no changes, therefore there are no changes to be saved and further no need for the Change account type button to be enabled (#3). You cannot change an account type to something it already is.

Change User Account Admin rights [​IMG]

As soon as this user selects the Standard option, the button will be enabled and is no longer grayed out because in that case there would be a change available, change from an administrator account to a standard account.

This dialog works exactly the same way when you use it to change a standard user's account type. In that case the Change account type button would be grayed out when Standard would be selected because, again, no need to change from standard to standard, no change possible, no button needed. When in this case the Administrator account type would be selected, the button would be enabled because that change is possible, standard to administrator.

Kari, Sep 1, 2015
  9. Muffy Win User
    Muffy, Sep 2, 2015
  10. rolldog Win User
    If you're running Windows 10, it assigns you as the "administrator," which isn't entirely accurate. If you pull up a command prompt and run as administrator, then type in net user, you will see indeed that you are not really an administrator. If you type net user administrator /active:yes then that will create a true administrator account. After installing Windows 10, in the control panel under users, it will say administrator, but it actuality you're really a guest. Microsoft does this on purpose so no one can mess up their account, but all it does is create confusion because you don't have access to certain things, as you've already experienced. Now using a Microsoft Account vs a Local Account opens another can of worms.

rolldog, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Change User Account Admin rights - Similar Threads - Change User Account

2. How to change Admin account user name

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to change Admin account user name: I am the Admin. How do I change my username that windows 10 displays? It is showing my email address https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-admin-account-user-name/1dc3fef3-7784-40a2-9016-c3f65c322e61
  3. How to change Admin account user name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change Admin account user name: I am the Admin. How do I change my username that windows 10 displays? It is showing my email address https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-admin-account-user-name/1dc3fef3-7784-40a2-9016-c3f65c322e61
  4. How to change Admin account user name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Is there a way to give a user account super admin rights?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to give a user account super admin rights?: Hi all. I'm wondering if there is a way to give my user account absolute authority in the operating system? I occasionally bump into files that my user account doesn't have access to, and when I click 'get access' it says I've been denied permissions, and that I need to go...
  6. Admin Authorized User not having admin rights

in Windows 10 Customization
    Admin Authorized User not having admin rights: The acct I use to login in, the same acct that I used to set up my system when I purchased it was set with Administrator rights. I am the ONLY user and not part of an organization or workplace server. At first glance when you look at acct from the logoff perspective or inside...
  7. Disable User Account Control without Admin Rights

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disable User Account Control without Admin Rights: When trying to run an .exe i get prompted with User Account Control: Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device? Is it possible to bypass this without having admin user name and password? I know I could clean install windows 10 but it requires creating a...
  8. User Account Control will not change in non-admin accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Account Control will not change in non-admin accounts: I have changed the UAC in my (Admin) account to turn it off. I have accounts for 3 other people, regular user accounts. On those regular accounts, if you try to start several of the games I have installed (LOTRO, Neverwinter, etc.) UAC stops the game from loading, asks if...
  9. How to change admin user account name?

How to change admin user account name?: I am installing the 'Android sdk' software, however when I try select the 'SDK' path, it says something like 'android sdk should not contain whitespace'. I am wondering how I would change my name so it has no space so I can get my issue fixed 92477
  10. No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account

No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account: Hello All, I'm delighted to have found you and after a long day of trying to help myself i am now requiring your much appreciated assistance please!*cry I'm not a techy person at all and am hoping someone can help*Smile Last week my husband purchased a new hp laptop which...