Windows 10: Change user name in file explorer

Discus and support Change user name in file explorer in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; New computer. Hastily set it up two days ago and have found that in file explorer there is a user named "Bogey" that appears to be the main user along... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by GFO, Jan 27, 2017.

1. GFO
    GFO Win User

Change user name in file explorer

New computer. Hastily set it up two days ago and have found that in file explorer there is a user named "Bogey" that appears to be the main user along with all of the associated files, and I have no clue how it happened that way. However, my first name, as administrator, is Gordie and is shown as the administrator in settings. Explorer will not allow me to change the name. Is there a way around this?

:)

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Jan 27, 2017
  3. Change user folder name in Explorer from Desktop back to the original name.

I mistakenly merged my desktop location into my user folder. This changed the explorer desktop display to have the user folder name as "Desktop" although it shows as "Maelstrom" in the command line when looking at the directory view. I've tried system restore
    points and everything up to but not including restoring a system image of the c:.

Is there a way to change the name from Desktop back to the original user name in the Explorer view because I think having the username of the folder as Desktop in the explorer view could cause many other problems I want to avoid.

Regards and extremely frustrated,

Maelstrom

Maelstrom Vortex, Jan 27, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

There's a different place where you should change it. You may have to create the proper account in Control Panel, User Accounts then delete the one not wanted. Right-click the Start button then choose Control Panel or Settings to get there. You can also find System on that menu for other things you can do.

An afterthought: is the name showing as the name for the C: drive? If so you should be able to right-click and Rename, it's just a Label. My latest came labeled as Windows for the C: partition so I changed it to the computer make/model, ASUS_M52BC and changed the D: partition to DATA.

Berton, Jan 27, 2017
  5. GFO
    GFO Win User
    The problem, I learned, is that I made the mistake of using my MS email during startup. What I didn't know at the time is that MS in its usual warped way automotically extracts the first 5 characters of your MS email account and makes that the main user name in file explorer, thus making it almost impossible to change!! It must be some change they made in new builds of Windows 10. I should have known better and started with my Google email account. How stupid we MS supporters are!! I suspect that I may be able to somehow delete the MS account login and create a new login using my Google email. What a needless PITA that is! MS doesn't even mention this stupid situation on their own website.

6. mrgeek Win User
    mrgeek, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Change user name in file explorer - Similar Threads - Change user name

2. How to change user name in explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change user name in explorer: Hi,I have a PC who changed the owner, but the job role is the same. I'd like to change the owner's name in the path: "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\...".Is it possible to do so? or is it too complicated?...
  3. How to change user name in explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change user name in explorer: Hi,I have a PC who changed the owner, but the job role is the same. I'd like to change the owner's name in the path: "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\...".Is it possible to do so? or is it too complicated?...
  4. How to change user name in explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. how to change user name folder name in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to change user name folder name in file explorer: Initiated Windows in new computer with W11 pre-installed. would like to change user name to my initials, as the user name is first 4 letters in my outlook mail name...
  6. how to change user name folder name in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to change user name folder name in file explorer: Initiated Windows in new computer with W11 pre-installed. would like to change user name to my initials, as the user name is first 4 letters in my outlook mail name...
  7. Change User File Name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change User File Name: my system was set up buy the the people putting it together.my name was misspelled and i would like to correct it.this is a windows 11 system I was a some how able to change my profile name as the admin.in the registry it has my correct name - just the user file on C: Drive...
  8. User File Name Change

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User File Name Change: I was wondering if there was any way to change the user file name https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-file-name-change/3ccd48c5-aeb4-4eae-a7bb-6accc2165d01"
  9. Change User file name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Change User file name: Hi During a complete reinstall somehow a user file name got changed C:\Users\X it should have been C:\Users\Richard how do I change it back? Thanks for any help. Rich 116571
  10. Change User file name

in Windows 10 Support
    Change User file name: Hi During a complete reinstall somehow a user file name got changed C:\Users\X it should have been C:\Users\Richard how do I change it back? Thanks for any help. Rich 116571

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 change user name in file explorer

2. change user name in file explorer

3. change user name windows 10 explorer

4. how to change windows user name in file explorer,
  5. change username windows 10 windows explorer,
  6. how to change user name in windows explorer,
  7. windows change user name in explorer,
  8. how to change the user name in file explorer,
  9. how to change user in file explorer,
  10. how to change user directory name in the file explorer,
  11. how to change file explorer user name,