Windows 10: Change user name on c drive to match administrator name.

Discus and support Change user name on c drive to match administrator name. in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I just bought a new laptop as the hard drive on my old one died. It had two users, “John” and “Jane”. The computer store where I bought the new laptop... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Hereathome, May 27, 2017.

1. Change user name on c drive to match administrator name.

I just bought a new laptop as the hard drive on my old one died. It had two users, “John” and “Jane”. The computer store where I bought the new laptop named it John, but I want it to be Jane. I changed the administrator name to Jane and that works, however when I go to c /users it still list John: for example c/users/John and I want to change that to c/users/Jane. I have not been able to figure out how to change the user name to agree with the user name on the c drive. Could someone please explain how you do that on windows 10? Thank you.

:)

Hereathome, May 27, 2017
  2. WarrenHS Win User

User name change

I need to change the user name on win 10 PC. The PC was mine (Warren) but is now (Sandra – my wife). The administrator name is Sandra and the PC name is SandraPC but, the users name is
    C:\users\warren. How can I change the name to read C:\Users\sandra? All folders have the user names Warren (Not Sandra) in C:\ drive\. All help will be greatly appreciated. As you know this situation creates all kinds of problem and I must change
    the name. One would think it would be simple but it is not

WarrenHS, May 27, 2017
  3. Can't copy / past or drag / drop

No It is hooked up to an SSD port internally just like when it was a boot drive but it is no longer connected to the designated boot drive port on the motherboard. I moved it to another port.

I previously used my Internet Name as my name on my Microsoft account so I just went and changed it to match the user name I used when I set up this drive / Windows. My real name.

No help.

The link you sent was for Windows 8 and Windows 10 is somewhat different but still mostly recognizable but I haven't had any luck with taking ownership. There was no administrator account with the user name I am using this time but it shows my old user name
    that's why I changed my Microsoft account user name but it still doesn't show up.

But administrator accounts and user accounts show up and have permissions.

Arrrgg -- gawd I love computers Change user name on c drive to match administrator name. :( Change user name on c drive to match administrator name. :(

Arizona Willie, May 27, 2017
  4. AddRAM Win User

Change user name on c drive to match administrator name.

You should create a new user, not change an existing user. Then delete the user you do not want.

All can be done in User Accounts in the Control Panel.

AddRAM, May 27, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    That is correct, there's no way provided to change the name of a user's folder.

Warning: If the user you are going to delete is your only administrator it is ESSENTIAL that you make another user an administrator BEFORE you delete the user you do not want.

6. I created the account per your instructions and kept Jane as administrator. But how do I keep all the settings and programs (profile) for John and show them in Jane?

Hereathome, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Change user name on c drive to match administrator name.

1. Change user name on c drive to match administrator name. - Similar Threads - Change user name

2. Users folder name does name match user name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Users folder name does name match user name: I'm on Windows 11 and did a fresh install, logged in with my Microsoft account but all my user info is locked.The C:\Users profile name is a portion of the email address associated with my Microsoft account and not my actual name.The netplwiz options are locked and shows my...
  3. Users folder name does name match user name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Users folder name does name match user name: I'm on Windows 11 and did a fresh install, logged in with my Microsoft account but all my user info is locked.The C:\Users profile name is a portion of the email address associated with my Microsoft account and not my actual name.The netplwiz options are locked and shows my...
  4. how to change the user name in c DRIVE?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to change the user name in c DRIVE?: users/usernam in cmd . How to change this username https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-the-user-name-in-c-drive/d557cf71-4e23-44f3-96a3-be39e9cf4fcc
  5. how to change the user name in c DRIVE?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to change the user name in c DRIVE?: users/usernam in cmd . How to change this username https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-the-user-name-in-c-drive/d557cf71-4e23-44f3-96a3-be39e9cf4fcc
  6. how to change the user name in c DRIVE?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. changing user name in drive c

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    changing user name in drive c: Can and how do I change my user name in drive C on my new computer to match my old computer so that my files from my photo book will link correctly? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-user-name-in-drive-c/35393109-666d-4897-a2d1-55c5596899f0"
  8. change network computer name to match my administrative name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    change network computer name to match my administrative name: I am administrator on this computer. My network computer says Linda's PC. How do I change it to read Linda Dattilo Administrator. How do I login as administrator? I am the only one that owns and uses this computer.... Thanks Linda...
  9. Change name for user (administrator)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change name for user (administrator): I am the administrator on my computer and I cannot figure out how to change my name on Windows 10.... When I go to control panel there is no option to change username under the users section. When I change it by pressing Windows button + R and typing netplwiz it does not...
  10. Changing System Name and User Name to match PC Name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Changing System Name and User Name to match PC Name: Annoying detail on my Windows 10 PC. I have a System Name: AL-OFFICE-FLORI and a user name of AL-OFFICE-FLORI/agude as displayed on the System Information page. On the System Properties page, the PC Name is Al-Office-Florida. I sure would like to end up with a System Name...