Windows 10: Change Username displayed in CMD and Users folder.

Discus and support Change Username displayed in CMD and Users folder. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, My name is spelled incorrectly in the CMD Description/Users Folder. I tried checking the C://Users/ and my name is also misspelled. Every time I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Kervin Roz Libiran, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Change Username displayed in CMD and Users folder.

Hi,

My name is spelled incorrectly in the CMD Description/Users Folder. I tried checking the C://Users/ and my name is also misspelled. Every time I login my Microsoft account to a new desktop, it syncs the misspelled name. Can someone help me on how to change/correct the misspelled name?

It's kind of annoying seeing my name misspelled and syncs throughout all my devices.

PS: I checked my Microsoft Account profile and my displayed Full Name is correct. But as per the CMD description and C://Users or Users Folder, it's misspelled.

Thank you.

:)

Kervin Roz Libiran, Sep 16, 2020
  2. Kreij Win User

Current active users that are friends

The other reason I suggested this is that users can add characters to their username that are not alphanumeric (e.g. user*). This confuses things somewhat when looking at the list.

Kreij, Sep 16, 2020
  3. how to change username on pc located in c:/users in windows 10 pro?

Hi Srijan,

I would like to ask if you are using Microsoft account or Local account.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Please follow the steps to rename the user account.

• In the search box, type user accounts and click on
      User Accounts.
    • Click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.
    Method 2:

Note: Before you start, please back up all you data and create a system restore point first.

• Press Windows Key + R combination and then type
      netplwiz
      in the Run dialog box. Click OK. If prompted for UAC, click
      Yes.
    • Now in the User Accounts window, check Users must enter a user name and password to enter this computer, if it is unchecked.
    • In the User Name section, select the user name to which you want to change the name and click
      Properties.
    • In the Properties window, in the User name field, provide the desired user name. Then click
      Apply followed by OK.
    • Reboot to see the change.
    Change User Folder name: Even after you change the username using this method, your personal folder will continue to display the old username. To rename the user folder, do the following.

• Create a system restore point first. Then open Registry Editor and navigate to the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

2. You will find several folders here like S-1-5-. Search through them till you find a
    ProfileImagePath pointing to your old username. Double-click on it and replace your old username with your new username.

3. Restart your computer to see the change.

Disclaimer:

Important: The System Restore restores the computer back to an earlier point in time, called a restore point. System Restore doesn’t change your personal files, but it might
    remove recently installed apps and drivers and also reset the recently changed settings on the computer.

Registry disclaimer: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make
    sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article
    number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/)

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Write us back with status of the issue in regards with your account. Your reply is important to assist you further.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Sep 16, 2020
  4. Change Username displayed in CMD and Users folder.

Username change in C: drive

I tried to change my username in powershell and now when I run as admin in powershell, Get-LocalUser gives me the username that I tried adding. Although in cmd window, c:\Users still shows the old one.

And in cmd window, it reads user - Alias not found if I type wmic user account list full .

Pinar Toptas, Sep 16, 2020
Thema:

Change Username displayed in CMD and Users folder.

1. Change Username displayed in CMD and Users folder. - Similar Threads - Change Username displayed

2. How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?: I have a Microsoft account which I have been using for a long time. Recently i restored my pc to factory settings OEM settings and i was asked to connect it to my Microsoft account while it was setting up windows 11.Now the problem is, the username folder the pc is showing is...
  3. How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?: I have a Microsoft account which I have been using for a long time. Recently i restored my pc to factory settings OEM settings and i was asked to connect it to my Microsoft account while it was setting up windows 11.Now the problem is, the username folder the pc is showing is...
  4. Changed username but "C:\Users\UserName" is not reflecting change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changed username but "C:\Users\UserName" is not reflecting change: Hello all,I am having an issue where my username is causing errors in other software. The reason is because my username has a space in it, and certain engineering software I use cannot reach files in that folder or any subfolders.To remedy this I changed my username by...
  5. Changed username but "C:\Users\UserName" is not reflecting change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changed username but "C:\Users\UserName" is not reflecting change: Hello all,I am having an issue where my username is causing errors in other software. The reason is because my username has a space in it, and certain engineering software I use cannot reach files in that folder or any subfolders.To remedy this I changed my username by...
  6. Changed username but "C:\Users\UserName" is not reflecting change

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Username in the Users Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Username in the Users Folder: Hi,I recently deleted my account from my laptop and logged in again using the Family section in Family and Other Users page in settings I removed it by running the netplwiz command. Now when I login, there is a new folder and it is not the same username as before the previous...
  8. how to change user name displayed in cmd prompt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    how to change user name displayed in cmd prompt: i want to change my user name that is displaying in cmd prompt..Can u please tell me how to change this name?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-user-name-displayed-in-cmd-prompt/7168de15-0e05-4bab-adb6-40675aa0b506
  9. How to change CMD username

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change CMD username: So I really dont know how to change the name: (C:\Users\TheNameIwantToChange) of the cmd user. I have tried multiple attempts at renaming my account but I never succeeded. I have a windows account linked to my PC if thats any help. submitted by /u/A2uma [link] [comments]...
  10. Change Username Folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change Username Folder: New to PC: I want to change my user name folder. I guess when I started an account, it took the first five letters of my Microsoft Windows email ( DJXST) and made that my user name. I cant change it with right click because it is in use. Someone mentioned I have to go into...