Windows 10: Change Username Folder

Discus and support Change Username Folder in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; New to PC: I want to change my user name folder. I guess when I started an account, it took the first five letters of my Microsoft Windows email (... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Power1aj, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Change Username Folder

New to PC:

I want to change my user name folder. I guess when I started an account, it took the first five letters of my Microsoft Windows email ( DJXST) and made that my user name. I cant change it with right click because it is in use. Someone mentioned I have to go into bios and do this. What is the correct way to do this? Is it straight forward? Risky? If someone could help me out, that would be great thanks.

-Tony

submitted by /u/Power1aj
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Power1aj, Sep 2, 2020

2. How to change the username and username folder in windows 10

I followed the same steps, step by step. what I found is no change in the folder name it is same like before and you know what after edit the regedit (username change from nooru to noor) it made a lot of problems [after switch to local account and then
    came to Microsoft account method] whenever I was turning on the pc mean log in [after entering password or pin] it every time takes time and then says preparing windows and clear every windows setting ' so then I again change the regedit settings to default(like
    it was before:nooru) so now windows is fine /but no change of folder name Change Username Folder :(

Noor ul Hadi, Sep 2, 2020
  3. How to change the username and username folder in windows 10

I recently purchased a new computer with Windows 10 installed. After syncing with my Microsoft account my User folder name had truncated to the first five characters of my email address, 'antho'. As I had no software and files loaded I thought it would
    be a good time to attempt the change to my folder name. I had success following youssoufsawadogo's method. My exact steps were:

• As I was intending to make a change to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList I made a backup of this file first. This was done from Registry Editor by selecting the Key and File (from top menu bar) > Export. Note that
      the file path contains 'WindowsNT'. I looked for a Windows 10 version but there were none so I went with WindowNT.
    • Open Settings>Accounts>Your Info>Sign In With a Local Account Instead. Enter password, then change username to what you want it to be, in my case 'Anthony'. As per youssoufsawadogo's instructions I didn't input a password and was able to click through
      without doing so. After doing that Windows signed out. Sign back in using the Local Account.
    • Open Registry Editor.
    • Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList. See youssoufsawadogo's screen shot.
    • Expand ProfileList folder. Search the files on the right under the Data column for something like C:\Users\antho where the last bit is the username you want to change.
    • Double click/right click on ProfileImagePath and clear your name and replace it with the one you want, e.g. Anthony.
    • Press OK and close the Registry Editor window.
    • Go to C:\Users\. You should see folders including TEMP, Anthony (the name you want), antho (the name you want to change). Make sure you see TEMP. If not, restart the computer. Restart at this point was like you were starting Windows for the first time
      in that there was more behind the scenes activity.
    • Delete Anthony (the name you just created).
    • Rename antho (the name you want to change) folder to Anthony (the name you want). At this point, if you hadn't seen TEMP and restarted your computer in Step 8 (as was the case for me when I did it the first time), a dialogue box appears saying, "You Need
      To Provide Administrator Permission To Rename This Folder". I was able to click CONTINUE but then a second dialogue box appeared saying, "Action Can't Be Completed Because Folder Is Open In Another Program". I had to go back and restart my computer. Then
      I saw the TEMP folder in Step 8 and didn't get the dialogue boxes in Step 10.
    • Restart computer.
    • Verify that the username folder has changed to Anthony (the name you want).
    • Go Settings>Accounts>Your Info and sign in with your normal Microsoft account.
    • Verify that your normal computer settings have returned.
    That's it. The TEMP file with size 0 bytes still remains in the Users folder. I deleted it with no harm done. I hope this helps.

AnthonyGill2, Sep 2, 2020
  4. Change Username Folder

How to change the username and username folder in windows 10

Hi,

By changing the Microsoft account, will not change the username. Whatever the name you give when you install Windows it will save the same name. Only Clean installation of Windows will change the username on username folder.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Sep 2, 2020
Thema:

Change Username Folder

1. Change Username Folder - Similar Threads - Change Username Folder

2. How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?: I have a Microsoft account which I have been using for a long time. Recently i restored my pc to factory settings OEM settings and i was asked to connect it to my Microsoft account while it was setting up windows 11.Now the problem is, the username folder the pc is showing is...
  3. How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?: I have a Microsoft account which I have been using for a long time. Recently i restored my pc to factory settings OEM settings and i was asked to connect it to my Microsoft account while it was setting up windows 11.Now the problem is, the username folder the pc is showing is...
  4. changing username

in Windows 10 Gaming
    changing username: How do I change my username in windows 11 from user to whatever I wish to change it to https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-username/3cdcae2f-92bd-4bc0-b704-3c19b708e3c8
  5. USERNAME FOLDER CHANGE INTO DESKTOP FOLDER

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USERNAME FOLDER CHANGE INTO DESKTOP FOLDER: At first, I want to move desktop folder into drive D because it still has a big space. But something went wrong, so I decided to restore it into the drive C again. Unfortunately, my username folder "Sinta" in drive C > Users is kind to be replaced by desktop folder. Both the...
  6. USERNAME FOLDER CHANGE INTO DESKTOP FOLDER

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USERNAME FOLDER CHANGE INTO DESKTOP FOLDER: At first, I want to move desktop folder into drive D because it still has a big space. But something went wrong, so I decided to restore it into the drive C again. Unfortunately, my username folder "Sinta" in drive C > Users is kind to be replaced by desktop folder. Both the...
  7. Changing Windows 10 username folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Windows 10 username folder: I recently got a new laptop and I signed in with my microsoft account while settingup windows. This resulted in creation of a username folder under C:\Users\ with only first 5 chars of my MS account name. Some Googling and some pretty old articles showed that there are 2 ways...
  8. Change Username displayed in CMD and Users folder.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change Username displayed in CMD and Users folder.: Hi, My name is spelled incorrectly in the CMD Description/Users Folder. I tried checking the C://Users/ and my name is also misspelled. Every time I login my Microsoft account to a new desktop, it syncs the misspelled name. Can someone help me on how to change/correct the...
  9. changing username

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    changing username: I have installed a fresh copy of windows 10 Pro on a brand new computer, made sure all updates and drivers were downloaded and installed. the system runs great, however, when I changed the name of the user from "User1" to admin, the system reboots and gives me windows errors...
  10. Change Username(?)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change Username(?): [ATTACH] Hey, I've been struggling to change "Good Game" to "Mcsyauqi". Is there anyone can help me with this? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/change-username/061167f8-edfe-4091-a059-46168541f06e