Windows 10: Change Windows 10 boot order without UEFI/BIOS

Discus and support Change Windows 10 boot order without UEFI/BIOS in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I am running a Macbook pro with dual boot. I never use my OS X side, and so I set my computer to boot into Windows at startup and all is well. Or was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/hamburgerwalrus, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Change Windows 10 boot order without UEFI/BIOS

I am running a Macbook pro with dual boot. I never use my OS X side, and so I set my computer to boot into Windows at startup and all is well. Or was well, until today, I got a new SSD for Christmas and migrated the data from my old drive to the new one. I then extended the partitions (old drive was smaller than the new one) and everything checks out in disk manager.

So now I want to boot into this new drive, but I cannot for the life of me get it to do so. I used the boot camp control panel on the Windows side, and selected the new drive as the drive to boot from. After restarting, I am still booting into the old drive. I went on the OS X side and tried changing boot order there. But what do I see under the system preferences? Two bootable volumes called "Mac" and two bootable volumes called "Bootcamp". It doesn't show me the drive letters (such as C: or DChange Windows 10 boot order without UEFI/BIOS :), so it's like I have no idea which of these options is the newly installed drive.

Now unfortunately, since this is a Macbook, there is no UEFI/BIOS to boot into to change boot order. This sucks because that is how I've always done this process to do what I am trying to accomplish. Is there any other ways to change boot order on Windows 10 without booting into UEFI/BIOS? I would think there'd be at least a CMD prompt option, but I can't find anything on Google. This would be simple as simple can be if the OS X side showed the drive names instead of some generic titles they want to label each partition/drive as.

Edit: So I decided to change the name of the new partition to boot from. Instead of the default "Bootcamp" I named it "Bootcamp2". Went into OS X side, changed startup disk to Bootcamp2, restarted, and it's still booting straight into my old drive. What in the hell.

submitted by /u/hamburgerwalrus
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/hamburgerwalrus, Dec 25, 2019

2. Bios order of boot and UEFI

Hi there, what is the optimum order of "boot" you need to set the bios at for a quicker start-up? And where do you place the UEFI component in relation to the actual firmware in the order of boot? Thank you, Robert.

Robert G May, Dec 25, 2019
  3. Windows 10 random automatic repair after changing boot priority.

Hello. So i have an Windows 10 Pro. Sometimes when i am changing in bios boot order from USB to HDD ( SDD ) windows starts booting with AUTOMATIC REPAIR and then restarting. Is this something with BIOS \ Windows 10 bug related? Tested on pc and on laptop , and sometimes it doing the same.

Situation on PC first,listen:

Few days ago after i change boot in UEFI BIOS from USB to SSD.
    Then Windows 10 showed at 1 boot Automatic Repair.
    When starting Windows 10 boot loader starts by "preparing automatic repair" and diagnosing pc.
    Interesting is that if I restart Windows (after procedure mentioned earlier) it will boot normally. This startup problem was occured only when starting system again after shutdown or restarted pc from windows.So i was needed 2 boots to boot properly to windows.
    But on pc, format was needed to remove completely issue and after format is fine.

Pc :
    2x8gb Kingston Hyperx 1600mhz DDR3
    SSD samsung Evo 250 gb
    4790k stock
    Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 with UEFI BIOS

Now laptop with old standard bios:
    On laptop i made the same operation, change boot from USB to HDD and on first boot Windows 10 shows Automatic Repair. But it happened once and i cant reproduce. No format was needed.

laptop is very old with 2gb ram

Why on pc format was needed when on laptop not?

Thanks for suggestions.

litwicki24, Dec 25, 2019
  4. Change Windows 10 boot order without UEFI/BIOS

Can't Change Boot Order

Cloned original C:\ drive to an SSD drive then followed the windows procedure to get to BIOS to change the boot order:

• Settings
    • Update and Security
    • Recovery - Restart Now
    • Troubleshoot
    • Advanced Options
    • UEFI Firmware Settings
    • Restart
    The last restart does not take me to BIOS. I just get a blank screen. Esc key gets me back to Windows, but I don't want to format the original C:\ drive for other use until I am able to change the boot order. How do I do that?

GregCowling, Dec 25, 2019
Thema:

Change Windows 10 boot order without UEFI/BIOS

1. Change Windows 10 boot order without UEFI/BIOS - Similar Threads - Change boot order

2. How to change boot order from legacy to Uefi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change boot order from legacy to Uefi: I recently unistalled the operating system so I installed windows 10 on legacy boot even tough my device support uefi can I change back to uefi boot after installing Windows 10 up to windows 11 and will I lose my data?...
  3. How to change boot order from legacy to Uefi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change boot order from legacy to Uefi: I recently unistalled the operating system so I installed windows 10 on legacy boot even tough my device support uefi can I change back to uefi boot after installing Windows 10 up to windows 11 and will I lose my data?...
  4. BSoD & boot order changes by itself in BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSoD & boot order changes by itself in BIOS: Two issues happening at random times:BSoD"An operating system wasn't found" during startup. When I look into the BIOS, sometimes the boot priority changed by itself to the drive with no OS Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB , sometimes the hard drive with OS completely disappears...
  5. BSoD & boot order changes by itself in BIOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSoD & boot order changes by itself in BIOS: Two issues happening at random times:BSoD"An operating system wasn't found" during startup. When I look into the BIOS, sometimes the boot priority changed by itself to the drive with no OS Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB , sometimes the hard drive with OS completely disappears...
  6. Bios order of boot and UEFI

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bios order of boot and UEFI: Hi there, what is the optimum order of "boot" you need to set the bios at for a quicker start-up? And where do you place the UEFI component in relation to the actual firmware in the order of boot? Thank you, Robert....
  7. Disk boot order not correct in UEFI

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk boot order not correct in UEFI: My machine, MSI Titan GT80S SLI "Skylake" sometimes takes over a min to boot and sometimes just 30 seconds, weird. I wonder if the boot sequences as defined in UEFI has something to do with it. It does not look right. The first disk that appears there, 860 EVO, is not the...
  8. Change Boot graphic on machine without UEFI

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change Boot graphic on machine without UEFI: I have a Toshiba L755-S5368 Laptop that has no secure boot anywhere in the bios. My Laptop is about 4 years old , I am trying to change the boot graphic in my machine. Can I do this ? If so, How? John 29603
  9. BIOS Boot order

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BIOS Boot order: No way, in the BIOS, to change Boot prioriy. I cannot use a CD to boot from in an emergency. How can this be done? Gigabyte laptop, Windows 10, 64. I cannot disable secure boot, the option will not highlite. 47197
  10. BIOS Boot order

in Windows 10 Support
    BIOS Boot order: I could not find an option under Boot Options, in the BIOS, of my P57W computer to boot off an optical or thumb drive. How the hell am I to boot off these devices when I cannot see them in the BIOS? Gigabyte documentation, or the lack thereof, SUCKS big time. I finally...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 4 Ways to change the boot order of windows 10

2. how to change uefi boot order in win 10 from CMD