Windows 10: Change windows 10 Home username

Discus and support Change windows 10 Home username in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I got Win 10 Home OEM with my HP Desktop. I would like to change the username of my local Win 10 account, but that's restricted in Home... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kadate7, Feb 8, 2016.

1. kadate7 Win User

Change windows 10 Home username

Hello,

I got Win 10 Home OEM with my HP Desktop.
    I would like to change the username of my local Win 10 account, but that's restricted in Home Edition.

So, I would like to upgrade it to Win 10 Enterprise. I have read that changing the username is supported in Enterprise edition. Also, I have the license for Enterprise and not for Professional or anything other than Home.

How do I upgrade it? I wouldn't like to loose my data.

Thanks,
    Luka

:)

kadate7, Feb 8, 2016

2. Cannot access Windows 10 pc from Windows 7

I was not asked for a user name when setting up the homegroup on the Windows 10 machine, but was given a password, which I have changed. When I try to access the W10 pc from the W7 pc it will not accept my W10 username & home group password or my W7 username
    and homegroup password.

What user name should I use?

A T Gottlieb

TonyGottlieb, Feb 8, 2016
  3. SOISK Win User
    Rename User account not available after re-installing Win 10

Perhaps you have Windows 10 Home. This command work on Home and Pro version. What is your old and new username ?

SOISK, Feb 8, 2016
  4. 1nitram2 Win User

To change username in home.
    Run Netplwiz
    Select name you want to change
    Click on 'properties'
    Edit name
    Click 'apply'

1nitram2, Feb 8, 2016
  5. lx07 Win User
    Nope.

Easy, you just enter your MAK key.

I'm not being funny but unless you know what a MAK key is you don't have a license. If you do then just go to Activation and change your key.

If you have a license though work or something your can upgrade to Enterprise by putting in the generic key. You'll need to connect to your work to activate though.

Otherwise, we don't discuss piracy here.

lx07, Feb 8, 2016
  6. kadate7 Win User
    Thanks, this worked perfectly.
    I was trying to edit the local account policy which is forbidden in 10 Home. Thus, I wanted to upgrade.

kadate7, Feb 8, 2016
  7. lx07 Win User
    Sorry, I got the wrong end of the stick there mate. Glad you got it sorted.

lx07, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change windows 10 Home username - Similar Threads - Change Home username

2. Changing usernames in home directory.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing usernames in home directory.: Good day. A long time ago I setup a particular user under windows. I made a mistake somehow and left out a character though. Since then, I've reinstalled many times on multiple times. Also, on different computers. I specifically tried different usernames at setup however that...
  3. Changing usernames in home directory.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing usernames in home directory.: Good day. A long time ago I setup a particular user under windows. I made a mistake somehow and left out a character though. Since then, I've reinstalled many times on multiple times. Also, on different computers. I specifically tried different usernames at setup however that...
  4. CHANGING USERNAME ON WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CHANGING USERNAME ON WINDOWS 10: I changed my username from 'X' to 'Y' by accessing the control panel. However, whenever I open command prompt it shows my username as 'X'. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-username-on-windows-10/8fdef822-c16d-4815-83eb-e2e294467050
  5. CHANGING USERNAME ON WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CHANGING USERNAME ON WINDOWS 10: I changed my username from 'X' to 'Y' by accessing the control panel. However, whenever I open command prompt it shows my username as 'X'. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-username-on-windows-10/8fdef822-c16d-4815-83eb-e2e294467050
  6. CHANGING USERNAME ON WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Changing Windows 10 username folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Windows 10 username folder: I recently got a new laptop and I signed in with my microsoft account while settingup windows. This resulted in creation of a username folder under C:\Users\ with only first 5 chars of my MS account name. Some Googling and some pretty old articles showed that there are 2 ways...
  8. Change username in Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Change username in Windows 10: Hi, my sister has a Windows 10 Pc and by some mistake there was a typographical error in the username. Now whatever Office and other software pick that as the PC name. How can I change it?...
  9. Change account username for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change account username for Windows 10: I have the only account on my PC. It is a Microsoft account, not a local account, with BitLocker enabled. I have discovered that my username in file explorer and in file paths are the first five letters of my email address linked to my Microsoft account. I want to change...
  10. son changed windows 10 username

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    son changed windows 10 username: my son who is 7 somehow changed his username in windows10 from his name to a misspelling of his name. Now we can't get into the laptop at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 58199