Windows 10: Change Windows 10 install FROM AHCI to IDE/ATA after installation

Discus and support Change Windows 10 install FROM AHCI to IDE/ATA after installation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I need to change an existing Windows 10 Home 64-bit installation startup drive from AHCI to IDE a step backwards, but is needed to accommodate another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by firefoxforme, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Change Windows 10 install FROM AHCI to IDE/ATA after installation

I need to change an existing Windows 10 Home 64-bit installation startup drive from AHCI to IDE a step backwards, but is needed to accommodate another operating system in a multi-boot environment. I do not wish to install Windows 10 again. I am able to change the motherboard BIOS setting between AHCI and IDE/ATA and have verified that this is effective. Until I make some change to Windows 10 to allow it to start from IDE/ATA drive, it cannot complete the start-up process in the IDE/ATA mode.

I have found many instructions for Windows 10 on going from IDE to AHCI, but none in the other direction FROM AHCI to IDE/ATA

The procedure below URL DID work for me with Windows 7 when tried previously, but I cannot assume it will work for Windows 10.

I am looking for a step-by-step procedure such as the one posted in April 24 2013 by Balaji Kundalam which was very clear and thorough treatment of the issue for Windows 7 users.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/ahci-to-ata-without-reinstalling-win-7/552c1e9c-71d2-4ba6-9efb-5cb4b3dd543b

Thank you for guidance

:)

firefoxforme, Sep 22, 2020
  2. sweeper Win User

Win. 7 Fresh install - No S-ATA Driver?

So with it installed in Native Mode but "Raid" not enabled (which is the ONLY option) I have NO AHCI option in the BIOS, it makes no difference then installing it with RAID enabled and having the ICH5 SATA drivers installed rather than IDE ATA drivers?

As of now I have NO SATA drivers in the device manager listed at all even though SATA is enabled in the BIOS but RAID is not. It's all IDE ATA.

sweeper, Sep 22, 2020
  3. Mussels Win User
    Win. 7 Fresh install - No S-ATA Driver?

in IDE compatibility mode, they show as IDE drives/controllers. Thats why you bluescreen if you change it on the OS drive without reinstalling windows (it tries to run IDE drivers on a SATA controller)

after actually looking properly at your first post, its only ICH5 - that things SATA I and therefore has no AHCI mode (which came out later)

Your SATA controller is effectively IDE with a sata adapter on top

Mussels, Sep 22, 2020
  4. Change Windows 10 install FROM AHCI to IDE/ATA after installation

Catalyst 10.9 AHCI question

When I installed the AHCI in my computer in the hardware list it was listing all the SATA in IDE/ATAPI section and written AHCI 1.0. Now that I installed the 10.9 AHCI drive from ATI website its now having only those 4:
    -AMD Sata controller
    -ATA channel 0
    -ATA channel 1
    -IDE controller standard double canal PCI.

Do I still have the AHCI function?

MohawkAngel, Sep 22, 2020
Thema:

Change Windows 10 install FROM AHCI to IDE/ATA after installation

1. Change Windows 10 install FROM AHCI to IDE/ATA after installation - Similar Threads - Change install AHCI

2. IDE ATA/ATAPI drivers not installed, unable to update Serial ATA Controller

in Windows 10 Gaming
    IDE ATA/ATAPI drivers not installed, unable to update Serial ATA Controller: Just built a new computer and 2 of my hard drives are not being seen in windows but they are seen in the motherboard BIOS, when looking at my Device Manager it appears that my IDE ATA/ATAPI drivers appear to not be installed, the Serial ATA Controller is just listed under...
  3. IDE ATA/ATAPI drivers not installed, unable to update Serial ATA Controller

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    IDE ATA/ATAPI drivers not installed, unable to update Serial ATA Controller: Just built a new computer and 2 of my hard drives are not being seen in windows but they are seen in the motherboard BIOS, when looking at my Device Manager it appears that my IDE ATA/ATAPI drivers appear to not be installed, the Serial ATA Controller is just listed under...
  4. IDE ATA/ATAPI drivers not installed, unable to update Serial ATA Controller

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers: Helloim trying to fix my laptop acer predator triton 300 and i noticed that it doesnt have IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. is there a way to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ide-ataatapi-controllers/e9cf375e-6c3b-48b7-aaef-933d12ec89cd
  6. IDE to AHCI new install Help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    IDE to AHCI new install Help: I have a somewhat dated system with AMD. I finally decided to switch from a mechanical to a SSD870 EVO. I'm not totally "new" to computers, but there is quite a bit I'm not familiar with. I bought a SSD because I do quite a lot of gaming and what not. HDD seem to slow that...
  7. IDE to AHCI help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    IDE to AHCI help: I have a somewhat dated system with AMD. I finally decided to switch from a mechanical to a SSD(870 EVO). I'm not totally "new" to computers, but there is quite a bit I'm not familiar with. I bought a SSD because I do quite a lot of gaming and what not. HDD seem to slow that...
  8. Unable to change SATA mode from IDE TO AHCI

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to change SATA mode from IDE TO AHCI: Sorry to bother you all. I am currently trying to change my SATA mode from IDE to AHCI but in my BIOS the option to change it is grayed out. Is there anything I can do to fix this? My Specs are: Packard Bell imedia S1800 PC Ram: 2.0 GB DDR3 SSD: Crucial BX200 Media...
  9. AHCI and IDE

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    AHCI and IDE: Hello, I'm going to put two SSD and one HDD into a desktop. They should arrive from NewEgg today. I know the SSD's need to be AHCI, but looking in the bios I see I can set SATA channels 1 - 4 as AHCI but still have the option of setting 5 & 6 as IDE. Is it best to put the...
  10. AHCI and IDE

in Windows 10 Support
    AHCI and IDE: Hello, I'm going to put two SSD and one HDD into a desktop. They should arrive from NewEgg today. I know the SSD's need to be AHCI, but looking in the bios I see I can set SATA channels 1 - 4 as AHCI but still have the option of setting 5 & 6 as IDE. Is it best to put the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. show all step to change AHCI To ATA By Picture

2. windows 10 switch ahci to ide