Windows 10: Change windows boot drive while keeping all of your files

Discus and support Change windows boot drive while keeping all of your files in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi! I have just bought a new M.2 SSD, and I would like to have windows installed on this drive instead for a faster boot time. I was wondering how I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NikolaiStundal Stadheim, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Change windows boot drive while keeping all of your files

Hi! I have just bought a new M.2 SSD, and I would like to have windows installed on this drive instead for a faster boot time. I was wondering how I can do this while still keeping all of my files as they are? My windows is now installed on a cheaper casual SSD.

:)

NikolaiStundal Stadheim, Dec 30, 2020

2. Windows 7 booting off wrong drive?!?!?

Please move if this is in the wrong place.

I have two hard drives, a 1.5TB drive, and a 160GB drive. Windows is installed on the 1.5TB drive, as are all my files and programs. The 160GB drive has a bunch of old files, and apparently the bootmgr and boot folder. Nothing else is on the 160GB drive, other than media files etc.

If I remove the 160GB drive from the machine, windows refuses to boot, plug it back in, it works fine. The setup with two hard drives I have now is temporary, as the 160GB drive will go into another machine.

My question is, can someone give me a step by step on how to make windows force to boot off the 1.5TB drive, ignoring the 160GB drive in the boot process completely?
    I don't know how to do this in Windows 7, on XP I would just run the /fixmbr command and its related ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Note: I would really really rather not have to wipe and reinstall, I know it can be done without one as I've had this issue with XP before.

speedy11131, Dec 30, 2020
  3. Drone Win User
    Stored files in Hard Drive

You can use Windows search. Just search for *.* on a desired drive. When list is done just arrange them by size LOL.

You can do it via command line as well and make an output text file showing files and their sizes (but without arrangement)

Drone, Dec 30, 2020
  4. Naresh_K Win User

Change windows boot drive while keeping all of your files

Windows keeps chaning Driver Letter for Boot!!!!!!!

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The reason that your computer is not able to boot when a USB is plugged in is that boot order are set to boot from USB as a first option. Kindly change the boot order from BIOS (steps may differ depending on the manufacturer of the device). Set
    hard drive as first options and then USB/DVD.

The drive letter will change to default if the operating system is not installed on default drive i.e. C drive. So could you please confirm if you are using dual boot operating system?

Also as you mentioned that you are getting blue screen, I suggest you to upload the mini dump files from the location here, which will help us determine the exact cause of the issue. The dump files are located at:
    c:/windows /minidump

Copy the files and zip it and share it with us. To enable mini dump file:

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

2. Double-click System.

3. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Startup and Recovery.

4. In the Write debugging information list, click Small memory dump (64k).

Meanwhile you can try the steps mentioned below:

1. Open command prompt as administrator (you can type cmd in start menu and run it as administrator).
    2. Then type diskpart and press enter.
    3. The type: List Volume
    4. Then type: Select Volume n (where n is the letter assigned to a drive on which you have your operating system).
    5. Then type: Attributes Volume clear hidden
    6. Then restart your computer.

Please reply so that we can help you better.

Naresh_K, Dec 30, 2020
Thema:

Change windows boot drive while keeping all of your files

1. Change windows boot drive while keeping all of your files - Similar Threads - Change boot drive

2. make my SSD the boot drive but keep all non windows related files on the original hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    make my SSD the boot drive but keep all non windows related files on the original hard drive: my new SSD is 500GB but the original hard drive is 1TB all i want to do is make my computer start faster. i did try a clean install on the SSD but i wasn't able to access all of my files and programs on the original hard drive and i had to make a new windows profile so...
  3. make my SSD the boot drive but keep all non windows related files on the original hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    make my SSD the boot drive but keep all non windows related files on the original hard drive: my new SSD is 500GB but the original hard drive is 1TB all i want to do is make my computer start faster. i did try a clean install on the SSD but i wasn't able to access all of my files and programs on the original hard drive and i had to make a new windows profile so...
  4. make my SSD the boot drive but keep all non windows related files on the original hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Change Account while keeping data and files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Account while keeping data and files: I am currently using my parents Microsoft account for my pc but I would like to change that to my Microsoft account. I have not been able to find a way to change the two accounts without losing data. For windows 11...
  6. Change Account while keeping data and files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Account while keeping data and files: I am currently using my parents Microsoft account for my pc but I would like to change that to my Microsoft account. I have not been able to find a way to change the two accounts without losing data. For windows 11...
  7. Changing Boot Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing Boot Drive: Hello everyone.So, I'm trying to change my local drive to a portion of my other SSD that has more storage. Long story short, I got a prebuilt and changed all parts except for local drive with 100 gb in it, 1 gb left to spare because I don't know how to. I finally decided to...
  8. Changing Boot Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changing Boot Drive: Hey everyone. I'm looking to change my boot drive but haven't been able to get a clear idea on how it will work. Currently in my PC I have a SATA SSD, which is my boot drive, and a HDD which I just use for large games and work stuff. I am thinking of getting an M.2 drive to...
  9. Boot windows from new drive while keeping old drive’s file?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Boot windows from new drive while keeping old drive’s file?: I just bought a new ssd to install windows on because my hard drive sounds like the Daytona 500 when booting up. I have 100s of gbs worth of programs and files I want to keep. Anyway of having windows on both, but only running on one? submitted by /u/MostLikelyALlama...
  10. Changing Microsoft Account on Windows (while keeping files)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Microsoft Account on Windows (while keeping files): I have recently created a new Microsoft account (so that I can have a more mature email address than the one that my mom made for me as a kid). I want to use this as my main account on my windows computer, but I don't want to lose all of my current files and settings. Is...