Windows 10: Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10

Discus and support Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Mm, if you're right, could go -er- viral. (Are bad puns allowed after tutorials?). I've asked the OP if he can check it, but probably means... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cliff S, Oct 20, 2017.

1. dalchina New Member

Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10

Mm, if you're right, could go -er- viral. (Are bad puns allowed after tutorials?).

I've asked the OP if he can check it, but probably means uninstalling Bitdefender.

dalchina, Oct 25, 2017
  2. simrick Win User

Hmmm.....subscribing to this thread....*Wink

simrick, Oct 25, 2017
  3. AndreTen Win User
    Have had problems to allow Screenpresso to access its default folder under /pictures...

Found what was the culprit of Screenpresso couldn't access protected folders.. You have to permit screnpressoCodec.dll too. Working (saving files) without issue and without restart.

AndreTen, Nov 1, 2017
  4. Cliff S New Member

I decided to take the time and thoroughly set it up today.
    Had to look for any programs that write to the default folders/libraries, and also added my OneDrive SSD and my Macrium Reflect HDD.

After setting it up, I Exported these two keys:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Windows Defender Exploit Guard\Controlled Folder Access\AllowedApplications

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Windows Defender Exploit Guard\Controlled Folder Access\ProtectedFolders

Then put them in a folder and put a copy on in Documents on my system and a copy on OneDrive.

Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10 [​IMG]

Then made a system image, so I won't need to do it again.

By the way I added vmconnect, because I also put my VM's SSD as controlled access.

Here is what I allowed so far:

Cliff S, Nov 3, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hey Cliff, *Smile

Just to note that you'll need to take ownership of those registry keys before you'll be able to merge the .reg files to restore them.

Brink, Nov 3, 2017
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Thanks for the warning. I'll only need them when all else fails.
    I use Tweaking(dot)com's Registry Backup, and save a weekly backups. Plus there is always Macrium*Smile
    But it's cool I can just add whole disks.
    I use Macrium Free, so I don't have Image Guardian, so Windows Controlled Access will come in handy there(on my online system images backup. My offline won't be a problem.).

Cliff S, Nov 3, 2017
  7. Cliff S New Member
    This can really be a PITA sometimes, I did both IE in Programs & Programs X86 for good measure
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer
    C:\Program Files\internet explorer

Cliff S, Nov 4, 2017
  8. Cliff S New Member

Internet Explorer wasn't even open at the time(it hardly ever is anymore*Wink), that's the best part*Busted

Cliff S, Nov 4, 2017
  9. AndreTen Win User
    Same here.

Another problem (general) about protected folders approach is installation of programs (upgrades included). If you want to have desktop icons (shortcuts) it's a no go. Desktop is protected folder and and a program you're installing isn't allowed (can't be, as it is new program - even upgrade is a new version). So no desktop shortcuts for protected folders approach (OK, one can add it later, but this isn't the same).

Wonder, if that problem with non-showing checkboxes when installing programs is also connected to protected folders feature

AndreTen, Nov 4, 2017
  10. Cliff S New Member
    That's ok, I can understand; 3rd party stuff being blocked until you give permission(can't stand desktop icons any how), but a Windows .exe file???? Not already set to allowed??? As Default??? That's going way too far in my book.

Cliff S, Nov 4, 2017
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I think it may be easier and best to remove the folders from "Protected Folders" that are used by programs all the time, and instead only add folders that you truly want as protected with zero access for anything.

Brink, Nov 4, 2017
  12. AndreTen Win User
    There is a problem ... one can't remove default folder, at least not via usual easy click and set. Editing a registry is not a good advice to common user.

Btw, check ie and same here, if trying to save a favorite

AndreTen, Nov 4, 2017
  13. Cliff S New Member

I did a test to day using some of my benching programs, that I had already added yesterday(just added the .exe's of the .dll it depends on if the program runs as an executable or a batch(like Heaven or Valley from Unigine), and had no problem when it saved the scores. The only warnings I have been getting are from some of Windows own stuff*Confused

Cliff S, Nov 4, 2017
  14. Cliff S New Member
    My setup:

Cliff S, Nov 4, 2017
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    So much for that idea. *Sad

Brink, Nov 4, 2017
Thema:

1. Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Defender Controlled

2. Defender controlled folder access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender controlled folder access: while i was using my system i got a message saying "Unauthorized changes blocked" and it was explorer.exe what is happening and what should i do please advice...
  3. Windows Defender’s Controlled Folder Access blocking System 32

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender’s Controlled Folder Access blocking System 32: Hey there, am I the only one having issues with Defender’s Controller Folder Access? The feature works as intended but my problem is it’s blocking System32 tasks. I saw posts from more than a year ago but no reports of this issue recently. Things blocked by CFA:...
  4. Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Turn off

Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Turn off: Conrolled folder access turns it self off when i click it to turn it on. i need help [Original Title: Windows defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-controlled-folder-access-turn-off/67e73935-1c11-4e63-b5b3-6be93eebe7b2
  5. Problem with Windows Defender/Controlled Folder Access

Problem with Windows Defender/Controlled Folder Access: When I'm trying to save a file in a portable application, I'm getting an error that the file couldn't be found. Based on my searching, I've found that it's a problem with "Controlled Folder Access" in Windows Security (new update renamed Windows Defender I guess). I was just...
  6. Windows Defender and Controlled Folder Access and Exclusions

Windows Defender and Controlled Folder Access and Exclusions: I just recently started using Windows Defender as my antivirus software expired and I was looking for another option other than paying for another program. I don't totally understand how to use it and reading thru tutorials is somewhat foreign to me so please understand my...
  7. cannot change CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS option in Windows Defender

cannot change CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS option in Windows Defender: [img] 104282
  8. Odd Defender 'Controlled Folder Access' alert

Odd Defender 'Controlled Folder Access' alert: Fall Creators Update 1709 introduced a new 'Controlled Folder Access' function in Defender. This is off by default, but I have turned it on to test it. I've had to allow a couple of apps access (VLC was one) but other than that it seem unobtrusive. However, very...
  9. Is anyone using Windows Defender Controlled folder access?

Is anyone using Windows Defender Controlled folder access?: I spoke too soon. Some Microsoft apps are now being blocked from making changes. It would be nice to know what's whitelisted by default.
  10. About the "Controlled Folder Access" in windows defender...

About the "Controlled Folder Access" in windows defender...: Although not that important, I noticed that when you open Winders Defender, and then click on Virus and threat protection settings, and then scroll down to controlled folder access,.. It states, " Protect your files and folders from unauthorized CHANGED by unfriendly...