Windows 10: Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10

Discus and support Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Tried it for about 15 minutes then turned it off again*Shock It was blocking *RedcardedOneDrive & File Explorer*Redcarded from making changes, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cliff S, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Cliff S New Member

Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10

Tried it for about 15 minutes then turned it off again*Shock

It was blocking *RedcardedOneDrive & File Explorer*Redcarded from making changes, and if I need to white list Microsoft's own built in software*Shock, to me anyhow, disaster is preprogrammed*Sad

Oh, and it even blocked me from restoring something from the recycle bin!

:)

Cliff S, Oct 20, 2017
  2. Brink
    Brink New Member

Yep, it'll literally block everything for a protected folder until allowed.

Brink, Oct 20, 2017
  3. Cliff S New Member
    That makes it only good for work PC's(running SAP) and kiosk mode then(both where there will be no changes or deletions made), because it doesn't at least present you with a link to the .exe to white list something, like restore from recycle bin, or to whatever OneDrive process.

Cliff S, Oct 20, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It would be nice if it had some sort if UAC style Yes/No to approve for a controlled folder instead of just this below.

Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10 [​IMG]

Brink, Oct 20, 2017
  5. Has not the registry path and value changed or is it just for Home?

Code: reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Windows Defender Exploit Guard\Controlled Folder Access" /v "EnableControlledFolderAccess" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Oct 20, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member

[/quote]
    It's the registry key and value you posted now. The only issue is that you have to take ownership of the key before you'll be able to modify the value of the DWORD.

Thank you for the heads up. *Smile

Brink, Oct 20, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Oct 24, 2017
  8. Hi Brink.

Was on this thread. Member reported you needed to reboot to make changes and mentioned that sub processes may be doing the saving. Might be worth checking on reboot comment and adding mention of sub process in a "Tip"

Controlled folder access problems

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 24, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That would be a very good possibility if the 3rd party AV disabled Windows Defender.

If it has a "This setting is managed by your administrator" message above this setting, then a group policy has been configured for it instead.

*Arrow Computer configuration > Administrative templates > Windows components > Windows Defender Antivirus > Windows Defender Exploit Guard > Controlled folder access

Brink, Oct 24, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'll do some more testing for that, but you shouldn't need to restart to apply if adding the exclusion via the Windows Defender Security Center UI.

EDIT:

I've noticed that if the app is currently running when added as an allowed app, you may need to close and reopen that app to actually apply.

Brink, Oct 24, 2017
  11. Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10

Thanks Brink. Any tips that will make it easier to use will help.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 25, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    The user did not report that- but has Bitdefender installed. Merely that the button was greyed out. I haven't asked him to try disabling or uninstalling Bitdefender (his comments suggest that would not be acceptable long term).
    Controlled folder access is greyed out Solved - Windows 10 Forums

If it is true that having a 3rd party AV results in the button being greyed out with no explanation, this is going to give rise to questions. Would seem worth adding to the tutorial that it's a prerequisite that Defender real time scanning be enabled and not disabled by a 3rd party AV being used- which is a very common scenario.

dalchina, Oct 25, 2017
  13. Well this sounds like a lawsuit in the making. If you can only use MS's product (Defender Real Time) to get the protection then all AV makers will join lawsuit on the grounds of predatory behaviour... the EU in particular. Should be interesting to watch.

Caledon Ken, Oct 25, 2017
Thema:

1. Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Defender Controlled

2. firewall or "controlled folder access'.

in Windows 10 Customization
    firewall or "controlled folder access'.: I don't know when problem started. Recently went into Family Tree Maker to do update. Windows does not allow. Even after turning off or disabling all firewall and virus settings and resetting. Trying to do update corrupts the application. 'Unauthorized changes blocked.'...
  3. Controlled-folder Access Blocked

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Controlled-folder Access Blocked: I have started having a message saying "Controlled-folder access blocked" whenever I try to run programs. It says that Windows Defender is blocking them. These are popular programs. I have never had this problem before. I don't know what started causing this or how to fix...
  4. Problem in changing Settings of Windows Defender.

Problem in changing Settings of Windows Defender.: Hello friends, I am facing a problem on my laptop because of which Microsoft Edge is automatically opening with this link.(http://laserveradedomaina.com/redirect/57a764d042bf8) And I can't ON the Real Time protection of windows defender. "This setting Is managed by your...
  5. Controlled folder access

Controlled folder access: For the last week the controlled folder access is blocking my Quicken program from updating or downloading anything. When I click on the notice it takes me to the allow app but when I open that to choose to allow app nothing is there! I really need to use my Quicken. How do...
  6. cannot change CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS option in Windows Defender

cannot change CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS option in Windows Defender: [img] 104282
  7. Controlled Folder Access

Controlled Folder Access: I have followed all of the instructions given to enable access to 'Controlled Folder access' but for whatever reason I do not seem to have this option available to me. Can anyone throw any light on this for me please. Many thanks. 97706
  8. Odd Defender 'Controlled Folder Access' alert

Odd Defender 'Controlled Folder Access' alert: Fall Creators Update 1709 introduced a new 'Controlled Folder Access' function in Defender. This is off by default, but I have turned it on to test it. I've had to allow a couple of apps access (VLC was one) but other than that it seem unobtrusive. However, very...
  9. Is anyone using Windows Defender Controlled folder access?

Is anyone using Windows Defender Controlled folder access?: I spoke too soon. Some Microsoft apps are now being blocked from making changes. It would be nice to know what's whitelisted by default.
  10. About the "Controlled Folder Access" in windows defender...

About the "Controlled Folder Access" in windows defender...: Although not that important, I noticed that when you open Winders Defender, and then click on Virus and threat protection settings, and then scroll down to controlled folder access,.. It states, " Protect your files and folders from unauthorized CHANGED by unfriendly...