Windows 10: Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10

Discus and support Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; So much for that idea. *Sad Yes *Sad I was searching for that down arrow from you tutorials... just to find out it's only available to folders added... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cliff S, Oct 20, 2017.

1. AndreTen Win User

Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10

Yes *Sad I was searching for that down arrow from you tutorials... just to find out it's only available to folders added manually.

Of course, it would be easier to manage that registry settings, if experienced user would provide a script for (i.e. remove desktop...) *Think

AndreTen, Nov 4, 2017
  2. Cliff S New Member

I just created a Custom View for Event Viewer to see exactly which .exe or .dll was blocked so one can find it easier, as notification area truncates the "offending" processes address.
    For those that want to create it themselves; it's event 5007 in Defender logs

Controlled Access Events.zip

• Just download,
    • right click,
    • open properties,
    • unblock,
    • extract it,
    • open Event Viewer,
    • and import it.

Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10 [​IMG]

***Click to enlarge***

This video is just a rough draft for now, to help others, until I have time to redo it correctly*Wink
    [youtube]9S_7mkz7uZs[/youtube]

Cliff S, Nov 5, 2017
  3. AndreTen Win User
    AndreTen, Nov 5, 2017
  4. Cliff S New Member

Bookmarked!
    I love how a lot of the Microsoft tech sites let you choose between dark and light Glaring WHITE themes now.
    I had set the Sysinternals page to dark months ago, and now where the option is, it will also be dark.

Cliff S, Nov 5, 2017
  5. Is there any chance that a function like Allow/Block will be implemented soon or later?
    I found it very difficult to allow apps to access Protected Folders. I can't find LibreOffice exe file, how can I add it?
    Also I noticed that added allowed apps still prompt a denial access warning.
    I'm so confused I disabled that feature for the time.

Pulcinella, Nov 9, 2017
  6. Cliff S New Member
    If you use the Event Viewer Custom View I posted above(post #32), you can find exactly what & where it is, that was blocked.
    Here is another example:

Cliff S, Nov 9, 2017
  7. @Cliff S
    Thanks that will help a bit to understand what is going on.
    As far as navigate the allow denies apps to access Protected folders. I can't get my head around it. But that is my short coming.

Pulcinella, Nov 9, 2017
  8. AndreTen Win User

If you set up that custom view in Event viewer (that Cliff S posted), you can copy marked text - just like in the picture from Cliff. When allowing app to access Protected folders, click to "Add an allowed app" and paste that in file path and name. (Ctrl+C and Ctrl+v work fine))

Also navigating to shortcut and selecting it works for me

AndreTen, Nov 9, 2017
  9. @Andre Ten
    Much appreciated.
    Just realized that this thread is a tutorials thread. I think I have to explain my post in reply to @Brink post #4.
    I wanted to know if windows Defender exploit mitigation feature will eventually became more user friendly for people like me, quite hopeless navigating OS features.
    I guess I posted in the wrong place and apologize.

Pulcinella, Nov 9, 2017
  10. Cliff S New Member
    @Pulcinella, I just added a rough draft for a video(made more on the fly than with real thought & planning) on how to do it, to my post above, but here it is now:
    [youtube]9S_7mkz7uZs[/youtube]

Cliff S, Nov 9, 2017
  11. Cliff S New Member
    You're welcome*Smile

Cliff S, Nov 9, 2017
  12. Barman58 Win User
    If you like the concept of ransomware protection then take a look at the bitdefender options - it's a lot more configurable - both in adding and removing folders and allowed apps whitelist

I'm using the full security suite - paid version (unlimited PC MAC, Android & IOS devices With central management) but not sure what if any of the paid options are available in the free one

Barman58, Nov 9, 2017
  13. Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10

@Barman58
    Thanks for your suggestion.
    Now that Windows Defender offer a decent protection greatly increased by the anti exploit features, I would very much prefer keeping as much as possible native apps in my computer to avoid conflicts.
    Unfortunately I had some difficulty with Bitdefender free since migrating to Windows 10.
    I had no issues on W 7 and I liked it very much then, simple install and forget, just for me.
    Now I have Mbae and use to have VoodooShield, I uninstalled VS as I'm looking to streamline my protections, in short to keep it simple.

Pulcinella, Nov 9, 2017
  14. Cliff S New Member
    Cliff S, Nov 26, 2017
  15. Cliff S New Member
    Now for the reason I noticed it:

I had to do a clean install this weekend(too long a story), and I'm in the middle of resetting my system back to somewhat the way it was.
    I had forgotten to save a copy of this custom view, and came here to get it, when I installed it, I notices it wasn't the view, but the log*Redface oop!

Anyhow, something else I found out about using Controlled Access:
    If you use multiple disks for everything, like I do, libraries on one disk, OneDrive on another, and system Images on yet another one, you will find you get permission problem accessing those disk and the folder on them.

So the moral of the story: if you want to or must do a clean install: turn off controlled access(make a copy of the registry key if you wish), then do the clean install.

Cliff S, Nov 26, 2017
Thema:

1. Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Defender Controlled

2. Defender controlled folder access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender controlled folder access: while i was using my system i got a message saying "Unauthorized changes blocked" and it was explorer.exe what is happening and what should i do please advice...
  3. Windows Defender’s Controlled Folder Access blocking System 32

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender’s Controlled Folder Access blocking System 32: Hey there, am I the only one having issues with Defender’s Controller Folder Access? The feature works as intended but my problem is it’s blocking System32 tasks. I saw posts from more than a year ago but no reports of this issue recently. Things blocked by CFA:...
  4. Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Turn off

Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Turn off: Conrolled folder access turns it self off when i click it to turn it on. i need help [Original Title: Windows defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-controlled-folder-access-turn-off/67e73935-1c11-4e63-b5b3-6be93eebe7b2
  5. Problem with Windows Defender/Controlled Folder Access

Problem with Windows Defender/Controlled Folder Access: When I'm trying to save a file in a portable application, I'm getting an error that the file couldn't be found. Based on my searching, I've found that it's a problem with "Controlled Folder Access" in Windows Security (new update renamed Windows Defender I guess). I was just...
  6. Windows Defender and Controlled Folder Access and Exclusions

Windows Defender and Controlled Folder Access and Exclusions: I just recently started using Windows Defender as my antivirus software expired and I was looking for another option other than paying for another program. I don't totally understand how to use it and reading thru tutorials is somewhat foreign to me so please understand my...
  7. cannot change CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS option in Windows Defender

cannot change CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS option in Windows Defender: [img] 104282
  8. Odd Defender 'Controlled Folder Access' alert

Odd Defender 'Controlled Folder Access' alert: Fall Creators Update 1709 introduced a new 'Controlled Folder Access' function in Defender. This is off by default, but I have turned it on to test it. I've had to allow a couple of apps access (VLC was one) but other than that it seem unobtrusive. However, very...
  9. Is anyone using Windows Defender Controlled folder access?

Is anyone using Windows Defender Controlled folder access?: I spoke too soon. Some Microsoft apps are now being blocked from making changes. It would be nice to know what's whitelisted by default.
  10. About the "Controlled Folder Access" in windows defender...

About the "Controlled Folder Access" in windows defender...: Although not that important, I noticed that when you open Winders Defender, and then click on Virus and threat protection settings, and then scroll down to controlled folder access,.. It states, " Protect your files and folders from unauthorized CHANGED by unfriendly...