Windows 10: Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10

Discus and support Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; So the moral of the story: if you want to or must do a clean install: turn off controlled access(make a copy of the registry key if you wish), then do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cliff S, Oct 20, 2017.

1. simrick Win User

Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10

Thanks Cliff. Good to know.

simrick, Nov 27, 2017
  2. johngalt Win User

After having played with it briefly last week, I turned it off again, and have just clean installed both my laptop and my desktop.

Were these tests all performed in the same build of WinX?

johngalt, Dec 8, 2017
  3. Cliff S New Member
    Yep.

Cliff S, Dec 8, 2017
  4. Jack07 Win User

Firefox trying to make changes to %userprofile%\Desktop is driving me crazy!

Since a browser is the first to face the threats, how safe is to add it to the exception list?
    I'm worried about worms and other stuff that could hijack the .exe

Jack07, Feb 1, 2018
  5. AndreTen Win User
    Same thoughts here... I'm not adding it to exceptions for now. On the other side, if browser is compromised and you're running it as admin, the damage is already done...

AndreTen, Feb 1, 2018
  6. snickie Win User
    Sadly this is yet another software from Microsoft that is poorly designed. If one with at least half a brain looked into this mess and redesigned "Protected Folders" it could be a useful software. Now, it's just an nuisance.

snickie, Feb 3, 2018
  7. johngalt Win User
    I disagree - it is perfectly designed, and I'll warrant that a lot of other software could learn from this example.

When you enable it, it is enabled across the board for all software, even stock Windows software. If you want to make an exception, you have to make it manually.

It's way better than starting the software with a default set of exceptions, many of which most people will not use, and thus also provide a possible loophole for malicious software to exploit. You want XYZ program to access restricted folders, you have to explicitly allow it - Micro$oft is not going to make any assumption on what you might want to allow and might want to block.

It's completely simple and effective in that way.

johngalt, Feb 3, 2018
  8. Barman58 Win User

The other thing that some do not realise is that when you whitelist an executable you are whitelisting that application running from that specific location, so if you somehow end up with a rogue application with the same name as the one you have whitelisted, it will throw up an exception message and prevent the application from accessing the data. This assumes that your applications are located correctly in the Program Files or Program Files (x86), and owned by trustedinstaller, and thus cannot be replaced by any lesser process

Barman58, Feb 3, 2018
  9. Cliff S New Member
    Researcher Bypasses Windows Controlled Folder Access Anti-Ransomware Protection

Cliff S, Feb 6, 2018
  10. Barman58 Win User
    I do not use windows protected folders as I use the Bitdefender which is a lot easier to use - it fully fingerprints the application or App in use noting file size, location, and other forensic items to ensure that a re coded clone of a whitelisted executable cannot access the data as the whitelisted executable - it also prompts you if an executable tries to access data files and is not whitelisted and allows you to make a decision to whitelist the executable or not, (which allows you to check and decide), it retains a message about suspect items so it's easy to control what's controlled. I found the initial windows version very clunky in use so kept using Bitdefender

Barman58, Apr 4, 2018
  11. Hemimax Win User
    My CFA is blocking System32 files from making changes to memory, anyone know what that is about?

Hemimax, Apr 9, 2018
  12. There is a reason this is disabled by default. I just turned it on and my goodness it blocks every *** thing lol. Turned off permanently.

Access Denied, Apr 9, 2018
  13. simrick Win User

*Roflmao2*Roflmao2*Thumbs

simrick, Apr 9, 2018
  14. kevjames Win User
    Had to add chkdsk.exe to the allowed list, otherwise ALL my external drives would fail a disk check like this ...

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.371]
    (c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk /v /f e:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Volume label is 9.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
    26624 file records processed.
    File verification completed.
    0 large file records processed.
    0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
    51 reparse records processed.
    29070 index entries processed.
    Index verification completed.
    0 unindexed files scanned.
    An unspecified error occurred (696e647863686b2e 1f67).
    An unspecified error occurred (6e74667363686b2e 170d).

C:\Windows\system32>

For a time, I thought ALL my drives were failing, I even reinstalled the OS, and then I was thinking my mortherboard was bad.

THEN I realised it was the CFA setting !!!!

kevjames, Apr 14, 2018
  15. Barman58 Win User
    It's a really unfortunate side effect of the whole concept of folder protection, I went through similar issues when I first activated my Bitdefender Anti Ransomware.
    Because of the way that ransomware works and the fact that the scum that use it will by choice use a duplicate of a valid system file to host their code, any protection has to consider and protect against these aspects.

Microsoft has not, to my knowledge, made the side effects and requirements, known which causes confusion for users who often end up following the worst possible route and switching the protection off

Barman58, Apr 14, 2018
Thema:

1. Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Defender Controlled

2. Defender controlled folder access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender controlled folder access: while i was using my system i got a message saying "Unauthorized changes blocked" and it was explorer.exe what is happening and what should i do please advice...
  3. Windows Defender’s Controlled Folder Access blocking System 32

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender’s Controlled Folder Access blocking System 32: Hey there, am I the only one having issues with Defender’s Controller Folder Access? The feature works as intended but my problem is it’s blocking System32 tasks. I saw posts from more than a year ago but no reports of this issue recently. Things blocked by CFA:...
  4. Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Turn off

Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Turn off: Conrolled folder access turns it self off when i click it to turn it on. i need help [Original Title: Windows defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-controlled-folder-access-turn-off/67e73935-1c11-4e63-b5b3-6be93eebe7b2
  5. Problem with Windows Defender/Controlled Folder Access

Problem with Windows Defender/Controlled Folder Access: When I'm trying to save a file in a portable application, I'm getting an error that the file couldn't be found. Based on my searching, I've found that it's a problem with "Controlled Folder Access" in Windows Security (new update renamed Windows Defender I guess). I was just...
  6. Windows Defender and Controlled Folder Access and Exclusions

Windows Defender and Controlled Folder Access and Exclusions: I just recently started using Windows Defender as my antivirus software expired and I was looking for another option other than paying for another program. I don't totally understand how to use it and reading thru tutorials is somewhat foreign to me so please understand my...
  7. cannot change CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS option in Windows Defender

cannot change CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS option in Windows Defender: [img] 104282
  8. Odd Defender 'Controlled Folder Access' alert

Odd Defender 'Controlled Folder Access' alert: Fall Creators Update 1709 introduced a new 'Controlled Folder Access' function in Defender. This is off by default, but I have turned it on to test it. I've had to allow a couple of apps access (VLC was one) but other than that it seem unobtrusive. However, very...
  9. Is anyone using Windows Defender Controlled folder access?

Is anyone using Windows Defender Controlled folder access?: I spoke too soon. Some Microsoft apps are now being blocked from making changes. It would be nice to know what's whitelisted by default.
  10. About the "Controlled Folder Access" in windows defender...

About the "Controlled Folder Access" in windows defender...: Although not that important, I noticed that when you open Winders Defender, and then click on Virus and threat protection settings, and then scroll down to controlled folder access,.. It states, " Protect your files and folders from unauthorized CHANGED by unfriendly...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 64 bit controlled folder access 32 bit application exception