Windows 10: Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10

Discus and support Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Excellent point! Hope some of us can use this and provide MS the feedback for improvement. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cliff S, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Hemimax Win User

Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10

Excellent point! Hope some of us can use this and provide MS the feedback for improvement.

Hemimax, Apr 14, 2018
  2. Barman58 Win User

As I understand, based on my understanding of Bitdefender and also from some minor titbits of Information from Microsoft, the Anti-Ransomware software when you mark an executable as safe will note the details and create it's own form of HashKey to prevent any other cloned executable from running and triggering the Ransomware. How it works I do not, and do not want, to know. If I could learn the algorytm used then so could the Ransomware Writers and circumvent the protection.

Barman58, Apr 14, 2018
  3. I'm one of those. Cannot get my head around all what I'm suggested to do to make that feature working without hassle.
    *Banghead

Pulcinella, Apr 15, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

I have it turned on. It took about a week or so to identify and permit some half-dozen apps that I use (and it blocked from saving to my user folder). After that learning curve it hasn't got in my way.

Helpfully, the notification tells you exactly which app was blocked, so you know exactly what to add as an 'allowed app'.

If you no longer have the action center notification to hand, or if the path was truncated because it's too long, don't worry. These Controlled Folder Access events are also recorded in the Event Log as Event ID 1123 in...
    Application and Service Logs/Microsoft/Windows/Windows Defender/Operational

5. Kind of bored here. Thanks for the information. I will see if it doesn't drive me absolutely bonkers trying to get all my apps added.

I turned it on the other day when not ready to do this and within couple minutes I turned it off so fast *ROFLMAO2

Access Denied, Apr 15, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    Yes, that was my first reaction too *Biggrin

But after a few weeks of adding apps the notifications stopped and it doesn't get in my way now.

7. If anyone that has this setting turned on and uses the program Lightshot to take screen shots, gets it working, please let me know. I have added the exe for Lightshot per the blocked logs in Event Viewer but it still will not let me save a screen shot to the desktop.

EDIT: I had to reboot after adding Lightshot to the allowed programs. I will now make sure every program I need is added and then perform one last reboot tonight.

Also added every one of my Macrium image location folders. I wasn't sure if adding just Y:\ (backups on Y drive) would cover the entire drive or not.

8. Bree New Member

Intrigued, I've just downloaded and installed Lightshot on my test machine. Yes, adding it to allowed app doesn't work....

....until, that is, you restart the PC. It seems that because Lightshot.exe is already loaded in memory and running when you added it to 'allowed apps' the old controlled folder access settings still apply. A restart is necessary for the new settings to have an effect.

9. There was a post on the first page where some programs being added needed a reboot. I got the idea to reboot from there. I read this whole thread from this page back to first lol. Could have saved time if I had started at the first page. *Tongue

10. AndreTen Win User
    Programs are beginning to pop up that'll make use of controlled folders a bit easier..

sordum | defender-injector-v1-0 is free, as far as I'm seeing, it's portable and also adds context menu for adding and removing programs to/ from allowed apps..

It's clean according to Virustotal

AndreTen, Apr 21, 2018
  11. Barman58 Win User
    Folder protection should not allow any exception of files, if it is to work then the exceptions should be by whitelisting apps only. which in addition should fully "fingerprint" the apps whitelisted

The problem with file exceptions is that the way that Humans behave will lead to the situation of them deciding that they do not want their most important data files "messed with" and will exclude them. The major issue with that is the very files that they want protected will be left open to attack by ransomware

Barman58, Apr 21, 2018
  12. AndreTen Win User
    Should have said allowed app. But, of course, agree with you.. too many allowed apps and this approach have no sense any more..

AndreTen, Apr 21, 2018
Thema:

1. Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Defender Controlled

2. Defender controlled folder access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender controlled folder access: while i was using my system i got a message saying "Unauthorized changes blocked" and it was explorer.exe what is happening and what should i do please advice...
  3. Windows Defender’s Controlled Folder Access blocking System 32

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender’s Controlled Folder Access blocking System 32: Hey there, am I the only one having issues with Defender’s Controller Folder Access? The feature works as intended but my problem is it’s blocking System32 tasks. I saw posts from more than a year ago but no reports of this issue recently. Things blocked by CFA:...
  4. Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Turn off

Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Turn off: Conrolled folder access turns it self off when i click it to turn it on. i need help [Original Title: Windows defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-controlled-folder-access-turn-off/67e73935-1c11-4e63-b5b3-6be93eebe7b2
  5. Problem with Windows Defender/Controlled Folder Access

Problem with Windows Defender/Controlled Folder Access: When I'm trying to save a file in a portable application, I'm getting an error that the file couldn't be found. Based on my searching, I've found that it's a problem with "Controlled Folder Access" in Windows Security (new update renamed Windows Defender I guess). I was just...
  6. Windows Defender and Controlled Folder Access and Exclusions

Windows Defender and Controlled Folder Access and Exclusions: I just recently started using Windows Defender as my antivirus software expired and I was looking for another option other than paying for another program. I don't totally understand how to use it and reading thru tutorials is somewhat foreign to me so please understand my...
  7. cannot change CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS option in Windows Defender

cannot change CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS option in Windows Defender: [img] 104282
  8. Odd Defender 'Controlled Folder Access' alert

Odd Defender 'Controlled Folder Access' alert: Fall Creators Update 1709 introduced a new 'Controlled Folder Access' function in Defender. This is off by default, but I have turned it on to test it. I've had to allow a couple of apps access (VLC was one) but other than that it seem unobtrusive. However, very...
  9. Is anyone using Windows Defender Controlled folder access?

Is anyone using Windows Defender Controlled folder access?: I spoke too soon. Some Microsoft apps are now being blocked from making changes. It would be nice to know what's whitelisted by default.
  10. About the "Controlled Folder Access" in windows defender...

About the "Controlled Folder Access" in windows defender...: Although not that important, I noticed that when you open Winders Defender, and then click on Virus and threat protection settings, and then scroll down to controlled folder access,.. It states, " Protect your files and folders from unauthorized CHANGED by unfriendly...