Windows 10: Change Windows Defender Ownership to Local Administrator

Discus and support Change Windows Defender Ownership to Local Administrator in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows Defender is located here: C:\Program Files\Windows Defender I'm trying to change ownership of Windows Defender folder to local Administrator.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by theone_31090, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Change Windows Defender Ownership to Local Administrator

Windows Defender is located here: C:\Program Files\Windows Defender

I'm trying to change ownership of Windows Defender folder to local Administrator. It's currently set to TrustedInstaller. I'm currently signed in as local administrator. I right-clicked on Windows Defender folder, click on properties, clicked on Security Tab, clicked on Advanced and click on Change next to Owner. Normally a window would pop up to change the user but when I click on change change just greys out and no window opens to change the user.

I tried running cmd as admin with command I change directory with cd C:\Program Files then ran command takeown /f Windows Defender /r /d y

and get the following error: ERROR: Invalid argument/option - 'Defender'.

I have Windows 10 1909 build. I hope someone can help me!

:)

theone_31090, Apr 16, 2020
  2. Ryan Mon1 Win User

Change local account into administrator

Hi Ankit,

We appreciate you for providing these necessary information. We have another way on how to change your local account user into administrator account. Please follow the steps provided below:

• Press Windows key + I to open the Settings app.
    • Click Accounts.
    • Click Family & other people.
    • Under Other people, select the user account, and click
      Change account type
    • Under Account type, select Administrator from the drop down menu.
    • Click OK to complete the task.

Note: If you are using an Administrator account, you could use the same instructions to change the type to a Standard User account.

Let us know in case you encounter an issue while following the steps provided.

Ryan Mon1, May 23, 2020
  3. Ian Ser Win User
    Local administrator windows 10 user and folder name change (full change)

Hi Shaaddi,

Have you made sure that the account currently logged-in to has Administrator privileges? You can verify this by following these steps:

• Press Windows key + I on your keyboard and click Accounts.
    • Click Your info on the left pane.
    • Under your account picture, you can see if the account is a Local Admin.

If the account is not an Admin account, we suggest making one and try to transfer the files from there. Here's an
    article for a guide on how to create a local user
    or admin account in Windows 10.

Update us if the issue is resolved.

Ian Ser, May 23, 2020
  4. Change Windows Defender Ownership to Local Administrator

Administrator change?

Hi,

The first account you created will always be an Administrator account, which allows you to manage your computer. However, when you need to share your computer with family members or friends, by default the accounts are created as Standard User. Now, in order
    for you to change administrator, you can follow these steps:

• Click on the Windows icon and navigate to
      Settings
    • Click Accounts, then go Family & other people.
    • Look for your account name, then click Change account type, and select
      Administrator from the drop down menu.
    • And lastly, click OK to complete the task.

In addition to that, if you're only using a local account, to make the new account as an administrator account, then we suggest that you create a Microsoft account. Kindly refer to this article:
    Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10.

Should you have other queries and concerns, feel free to post back.

***Note: If you think this was useful, you may "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.***

Marque Lor, May 23, 2020
Thema:

Change Windows Defender Ownership to Local Administrator

1. Change Windows Defender Ownership to Local Administrator - Similar Threads - Change Defender Ownership

2. How to change local administrator password?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change local administrator password?: I create a local account and I forgot the password. How to change it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-local-administrator-password/4b1c0819-9c10-4513-aac3-aa88fe249e92
  3. How to change local administrator password?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change local administrator password?: I create a local account and I forgot the password. How to change it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-local-administrator-password/4b1c0819-9c10-4513-aac3-aa88fe249e92
  4. How to change Local Account to Administrator

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change Local Account to Administrator: I can't change Local to Administrator so this is how it look like: Enter Username and Passwordbut I'm on my only account so please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-local-account-to-administrator/a1bed261-609c-4af9-96ac-651d22812ac2
  5. geeitng ownership of windows defender folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    geeitng ownership of windows defender folder: hi, so I was wondering if someone could help me getting ownership of the windows defender folder, i tried doing the simple method of going to the security tab in proprieties but it doesn't work, I tried running takeown /f "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender" /r /d y on cmd yes...
  6. change ownership

in Windows 10 Customization
    change ownership: I am giving a friend my old laptop how do I change the name of the computer and change the lock screen and create a new admin acct? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-ownership/3b3af5b9-868f-473e-8705-9126a83dc9d6
  7. Changing ownership

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Changing ownership: Does changing ownership creates problems? I'm still not able to remove grayscale of encryption in advanced security menu. Help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-ownership/e4bf2f9e-2046-43cd-b02c-0a888279b521
  8. How to change ownership away from TrustedInstaller for Windows Defender

How to change ownership away from TrustedInstaller for Windows Defender: I don't know how to change the ownership away from Trusted Installer to Admin for Windows Defender. I right-clicked on Windows Defender folder, click on properties, clicked on Security Tab, clicked on Advanced and click on Change next to Owner. Normally a window would pop up...
  9. Taking ownership of a file as the administrator

Taking ownership of a file as the administrator: I am moving files from my old computer to my new computer and Adobe files will not copy. They need administrator permission. Currently the only person allowed on the new computer is the administrator. What to I have to do to change the ownership in Properties>Security?...
  10. Windows 10, change local administrator password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10, change local administrator password: I have one computer in my home with one user account and that account is administrator . It is connected to a online Microsoft (Microsoft live?) account with my email as user name. I use a local password to log in to my computer. My local password and my online Microsoft...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. taking ownership of defender folder

2. windows defender security tab platform owner

3. how to take.ownsership windows defender

4. gow to take ownership windows defender