Windows 10: Change Wireless Adapter power-saving mode using PowerCFG tool in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Wireless Adapter power-saving mode using PowerCFG tool in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]Windows manages the Wireless Adapter’s power state to make sure it does not impact […] This article Change Wireless Adapter power-saving mode... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Feb 27, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

Change Wireless Adapter power-saving mode using PowerCFG tool in Windows 10

WinClub, Feb 27, 2021

2. undocumented wireless power saving modes getting in the way

I use certain wireless network scanning tools under windows 10 laptop build 1909 and this problem is not specific to any particular feature update build...

Despite having any Advanced device power management settings disabled and the device configured to not let windows turn it off to save power...

Windows repeatedly causes the adapter to cease scanning for access points than it is currently connected to.

The only way to get the correct scanning of all the possible wireless channels is to tap the task bar notification areas wireless icon and it at first pops up the list of available access points with just the currently connected access points name listed
    and then a second or so later the wireless adapters scanning is resumed and the rest of the surrounding access points show up and then the scanning utilities resume seeing all the surrounding access points until windows 10 times out again and stops scanning
    other channels as instructed by the programs in question.

One program an old version, 3.1.2.1, of metageeks inSSIDer seems to be able to keep the adapter awake and wake it up on launch but others like xirrus WiFI Inspector 2.0 and others seem unable to break out of these undocumented power saving modes.

Anyone know how we can turn OFF this unwanted undocumented feature?

This is not a driver problem or a resource depletion problem... no need to turn the wifi off and on again, just tapping on the wireless network notification icon wakes the adapters scanning functionality again. No noticeable changes to the currently connected
    access point connectivity happens in either mode. It has occurred across multiple driver versions and multiple feature updates. The same effect occurs on other completely different Windows 10 Laptops with different hardware. Does not happen at all on older
    Vista SP2 based laptop.

tech-headUK, Feb 27, 2021
  3. There is no option of "power management" in configure internet adapter

Hi joudalchahrour,
    Try changing the power plan for the wireless network adapter:
    Type powercfg.cpl in the search box then proceed by following the next steps.
    1-In Power Options click on Change plan settings.
    2-On the next page click on Change advanced power settings.
    3-On the next page expand Wireless Adapter Settings, then expand Power Saving Mode.
    4-In Battery powered and Mains powered, select Maximum performance.

franco d'esaro, Feb 27, 2021
  4. Change Wireless Adapter power-saving mode using PowerCFG tool in Windows 10

Wireless Adapter not working

Hi Nabil,

Thank you for keeping us updated on this query. We will assist you in resolving your issue.

Method 1:

Step 1: Update network adapter driver from the device manager by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows key + X keys on the keyboard and click on
      Device Manager from the options.
    • Expand the Network adapters from the options.
    • Right click on the wireless network card and select Update option.
    • Restart the computer and check if the changes are effective.
    Step 2: If the issue persist, I suggest you to uninstall the network adapter driver from the device manager by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.
    • Press Windows key + X keys on the keyboard and click on
      Device Manager from the options.
    • Expand the Network adapters from the options.
    • Right click on the wireless network card and select Uninstall.
    • Restart the computer for automatic installation of network adapters and check if the changes are effective.

Hope this helps !

We are happy to assist you with any issues pertaining to Windows.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Feb 27, 2021
Thema:

Change Wireless Adapter power-saving mode using PowerCFG tool in Windows 10

1. Change Wireless Adapter power-saving mode using PowerCFG tool in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Wireless Adapter

2. change gpu used in power saving mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    change gpu used in power saving mode: Is it possible to change what gpu is used when power saving mode is on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-gpu-used-in-power-saving-mode/4730853b-6328-4b85-9221-4fc5e747e4cb
  3. change gpu used in power saving mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    change gpu used in power saving mode: Is it possible to change what gpu is used when power saving mode is on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-gpu-used-in-power-saving-mode/4730853b-6328-4b85-9221-4fc5e747e4cb
  4. Power saving mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power saving mode: Whenever I am not plugged in as soon as my laptop reaches around 35-40% the power saver mode automatically switches on. My power saver settings are set to turn on at 15%. Please help....
  5. How to change Power configuration for performance using PowerCFG in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Power configuration for performance using PowerCFG in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Windows 10 offers a built-in Power mode control, available when you click on the […] This article How to change Power configuration for performance using PowerCFG in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. How to change Multimedia Settings using PowerCFG tool in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Multimedia Settings using PowerCFG tool in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Depending on whether you are on battery or plugged in, Multimedia settings can vary. […] This article How to change Multimedia Settings using PowerCFG tool in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. How to change the Power Plan type using PowerCFG command line in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change the Power Plan type using PowerCFG command line in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Power Plan is an important part of your computer, especially if it’s a laptop […] This article How to change the Power Plan type using PowerCFG command line in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. undocumented wireless power saving modes getting in the way

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    undocumented wireless power saving modes getting in the way: I use certain wireless network scanning tools under windows 10 laptop build 1909 and this problem is not specific to any particular feature update build... Despite having any Advanced device power management settings disabled and the device configured to not let windows...
  9. changing power mode, and adding a wireless printer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    changing power mode, and adding a wireless printer: my laptop goes into sleep mode ever 1 minute and I have to enter my PW every time to get back on the display screen, so if I am reading on the display, I hae to click the screen every minute to keep it unlocked, and I have tried to chage the power settings but when I when I...
  10. Change Power Saving Mode of Wireless Adapters in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Power Saving Mode of Wireless Adapters in Windows 10: How to: Change Power Saving Mode of Wireless Adapters in Windows 10 How to Change Power Saving Mode of Wireless Adapters in Windows 10 The Power Saving Mode setting under Wireless Adapter Settings in Power Options allows you to control the power saving mode of wireless...