Windows 10: Changed all Taskbar icons to small, now the search box is gone

Discus and support Changed all Taskbar icons to small, now the search box is gone in Cortana to solve the problem; My computer is a, Dell laptop. Running Windows 10 Pro. I had so many, icons on my taskbar. I couldn't, see them all together. So I went to, taskbar... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Jerry_Dwyer, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Changed all Taskbar icons to small, now the search box is gone

My computer is a, Dell laptop. Running Windows 10 Pro.

I had so many, icons on my taskbar.
    I couldn't, see them all together.

So I went to, taskbar settings.
    And, changed them to small icons.

Now, the icons fit just fine.
    But, one thing I don't like.
    The search bar, which I use a lot, is gone?

It's replaced by a little circle.
    When I click, on it. It does, open search.

But, I prefer to see, the whole search bar.
    Is there any way, to get the search bar back, the old way?

Thanks for reading . . . Jerry

* Original title: Hope I cab do this . . .

:)

Jerry_Dwyer, Jan 10, 2021
  2. Ma. Lau Win User

Small icons setting won't change

I suggest that you change or uncheck Use small taskbar buttons by following the steps below:

• Right-click the Taskbar.
    • Select Properties.
    • In the Taskbar tab make sure that Use small taskbar is
      uncheck

Changed all Taskbar icons to small, now the search box is gone e377d97f-489c-45cb-8856-ca9160202472.jpg
    • Click Apply and OK.
    If the issue still persists, you can change the size of desktop icons.

• Right-click an empty space on the desktop.
    • Select View and choose either Large, Medium or Small icons.
    • Check if you can change the size of the taskbar button.
    Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Ma. Lau, Jan 10, 2021
  3. Edwin Win User
    Small taskbar icons and Cortana search

What do I suggest?

I suggest you hit the WinKey and start typing..., forget the icon and search box altogether! *Wink

Edwin, Jan 10, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

Changed all Taskbar icons to small, now the search box is gone

Small taskbar icons and Cortana search

Genuine question: I'm wondering why you want the search box permanently displayed?

It doesn't actually have any advantage I can see, you're not saving on mouse clicks or making it quicker to use. You have to click in the Search box to switch focus to it before you type into it, but a click on the Cortana icon opens the Search box just above the taskbar and set the focus on it. I can't see any practical difference in use.

Thema:

Changed all Taskbar icons to small, now the search box is gone

1. Changed all Taskbar icons to small, now the search box is gone - Similar Threads - Changed Taskbar icons

2. Search on taskbar set to search box but still icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search on taskbar set to search box but still icon: System: Windows 11 22h2 last version.Windows updated the appearance of the search box last time, but after I set it to the search box in the settings, the search is still displayed as icon.Create a new user and it can be set up and show search box normally.The same problem...
  3. Search on taskbar set to search box but still icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search on taskbar set to search box but still icon: System: Windows 11 22h2 last version.Windows updated the appearance of the search box last time, but after I set it to the search box in the settings, the search is still displayed as icon.Create a new user and it can be set up and show search box normally.The same problem...
  4. all icons gone except for in taskbar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    all icons gone except for in taskbar: I would like to start with, No it is not the xp design that has caused this problem. I have had it for years and it has never done this before. I am still running windows 10. all the icons are gone. nothing much more to add.Also I looked at this thread of a guy with the same...
  5. all icons gone except for in taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    all icons gone except for in taskbar: I would like to start with, No it is not the xp design that has caused this problem. I have had it for years and it has never done this before. I am still running windows 10. all the icons are gone. nothing much more to add.Also I looked at this thread of a guy with the same...
  6. all icons gone except for in taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. ALL taskbar icons are gone

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    ALL taskbar icons are gone: [ATTACH] Ive tried basically everything that the internet has told me, scanned for malware, deleted iconcache.db and restarted, etc etc. https://preview.redd.it/fe4fw9tnkl261.png?width=1919&format=png&auto=webp&s=429d446858f1612def4f809f2de56e6011376307 submitted by...
  8. Search box on taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search box on taskbar: Since the last update for WIndows Pro, the search box on the taskbar is no longer working. I can't type anything into it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-box-on-taskbar/b7e24968-dd0f-4cf8-909c-4b794a3ac4ba
  9. Search Box on Taskbar

in Cortana
    Search Box on Taskbar: Just updated Windows 10 and my Search Box on my Taskbar no longer functions--just a blank box. How can I recover my Search Utility? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-box-on-taskbar/38bb2870-91c0-4860-a66a-2398334a8f83"
  10. Small taskbar icons and Cortana search

in Windows 10 Customization
    Small taskbar icons and Cortana search: Hey guys *Smile Have a question! When using “small taskbar icons” is their a way to show the cortana search bar? Thanks, greatly appreciated! 105387