Windows 10: Changed Boot order after Windows 10 update

Discus and support Changed Boot order after Windows 10 update in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Afternoon, On Sunday I switch off my PC and had an update and shutdown option which I did. I then went out for several hours. We had a broadband... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by CliveTurner1, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Changed Boot order after Windows 10 update

Afternoon,

On Sunday I switch off my PC and had an update and shutdown option which I did. I then went out for several hours. We had a broadband failure for several days but the computer was properly off when I came to reboot so assume the update had completed before this. On trying to reboot I got the usual warning bleeps and nothing. Using F12 I have been able to get the PC up again. The problem is that I have 2 mirrored Samsung M2 SSD drives which were my boot drive and a recovery partition on hard disk. The PC is now booting from hard drive. I can see the SSD and can run programs from it so looks OK. How can I get into the Windows Boot Manager to get the PC to look at the SSD drive first during startup.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Clive

:)

CliveTurner1, Oct 3, 2018

2. Windows 10 random automatic repair after changing boot priority.

Hello. So i have an Windows 10 Pro. Sometimes when i am changing in bios boot order from USB to HDD ( SDD ) windows starts booting with AUTOMATIC REPAIR and then restarting. Is this something with BIOS \ Windows 10 bug related? Tested on pc and on laptop , and sometimes it doing the same.

Situation on PC first,listen:

Few days ago after i change boot in UEFI BIOS from USB to SSD.
    Then Windows 10 showed at 1 boot Automatic Repair.
    When starting Windows 10 boot loader starts by "preparing automatic repair" and diagnosing pc.
    Interesting is that if I restart Windows (after procedure mentioned earlier) it will boot normally. This startup problem was occured only when starting system again after shutdown or restarted pc from windows.So i was needed 2 boots to boot properly to windows.
    But on pc, format was needed to remove completely issue and after format is fine.

Pc :
    2x8gb Kingston Hyperx 1600mhz DDR3
    SSD samsung Evo 250 gb
    4790k stock
    Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 with UEFI BIOS

Now laptop with old standard bios:
    On laptop i made the same operation, change boot from USB to HDD and on first boot Windows 10 shows Automatic Repair. But it happened once and i cant reproduce. No format was needed.

laptop is very old with 2gb ram

Why on pc format was needed when on laptop not?

Thanks for suggestions.

litwicki24, Oct 3, 2018
  3. Can't Change Boot Order

Cloned original C:\ drive to an SSD drive then followed the windows procedure to get to BIOS to change the boot order:

• Settings
    • Update and Security
    • Recovery - Restart Now
    • Troubleshoot
    • Advanced Options
    • UEFI Firmware Settings
    • Restart
    The last restart does not take me to BIOS. I just get a blank screen. Esc key gets me back to Windows, but I don't want to format the original C:\ drive for other use until I am able to change the boot order. How do I do that?

GregCowling, Oct 3, 2018
  4. Changed Boot order after Windows 10 update

Windows 10 updates change my boot order all the time

Indeed I have an SSD later added. I migrated the OS to this SSD with a boot manager.

But many people have done this; there must be millions around the world. It cannot be that they all have this problem or that Windows update is not feasible for all of these people!

Thanks for the suggested workaround, but that is not a solution. My SSD was already connected to the lowest numbered SATA port. I still did what you suggested, but to no avail. This time the update returned me to the BIOS with AGAIN the whole boot sequence
    mixed up - how can I prevent this? Then after me specifying the SSD boot manager, the update got further than ever but again ending into a totally stuck system. Then after several fruitless restarts, the systeem restores wiondiows to the pre-update stage.

Is there a real solution that really works? Windows 10 update should be able to cope with this!

Bertden Ouden, Oct 3, 2018
Thema:

Changed Boot order after Windows 10 update

1. Changed Boot order after Windows 10 update - Similar Threads - Changed Boot order

2. Boot order changes after a while

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot order changes after a while: I'm currently dual booting on my laptop Windows 10 and Linux, each one on a separate disk. My default boot order is Linux first then Windows, however, if I boot windows multiple times, it will automatically change my boot order so that Windows is the default. I have changed...
  3. Boot order changes after a while

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boot order changes after a while: I'm currently dual booting on my laptop Windows 10 and Linux, each one on a separate disk. My default boot order is Linux first then Windows, however, if I boot windows multiple times, it will automatically change my boot order so that Windows is the default. I have changed...
  4. Boot order changes after a while

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Boot Up order changed after BSOD

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot Up order changed after BSOD: Hi Guys, I have had my boot up SSD for a while (Crucial MX500 SATA III) and it's been fine but while playing a game I got a blue screen and it reverted to the hard drive as the boot up drive. I have found that the only way to revert this back to the Crucial is by fully...
  6. Blue screen after changing boot order

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Blue screen after changing boot order: I have dual boot on my laptop win 10 on a M2 pcie and ubuntu on a ssd. Since i installed ubuntu almost 1 year ago i had ubuntu on first boot, and both worked fine. Since a couple if weeks i noticed windows would boot first, and i checked today my boot order and saw it changed...
  7. Windows 10 Updates Keep Changing Boot Order

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Updates Keep Changing Boot Order: I have both Windows 10 and Ubuntu 20.04 installed on my Lenovo Legion Y7000 laptop. I useGRUB to choose which operating system to load when I start my computer. In the past 3 days however, Windows 10 has twice changed my BIOS boot order so that GRUB is skipped and the...
  8. How to change boot order in Windows 10 home

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to change boot order in Windows 10 home: Can I use that script on Windows 10 home edition to boot from an external Windows 7 hard drive taken from my old laptop? I do not have the installation software for Windows 7, and it is in NTFS. It was a hard drive removed from my old Asus laptop with Windows 7 on it. I have...
  9. Windows 10 updates change my boot order all the time

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 updates change my boot order all the time: Copied the subject from an existing post. I'm having the same issue, but this site appears to lock issues after awhile. Too bad because that results in dozens of questions all addressing the same topic. Here's the original post:...
  10. Changing Boot Order

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing Boot Order: Having found my way into the BIOS to change the boot order I am faced with 4 options. Which one do I select? I want the PC to call first on a USB Recovery Drive, created with Macrium Reflect. Should I go back to BIOS to make a note of the options and list them here, as I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 1903 update changed boot load order

2. windows 10 update has changed boot order