Windows 10: Changed computer name and now many glitches and things not working

Discus and support Changed computer name and now many glitches and things not working in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Yesterday, my son was updating Windows 10 and all at once he was being asked for a user name and password that he had not set. In researching this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ChrystinP, Aug 13, 2019.

1. ChrystinP Win User

Changed computer name and now many glitches and things not working

Yesterday, my son was updating Windows 10 and all at once he was being asked for a user name and password that he had not set.

In researching this issue for him, I came across instructions for a fix.

The initial instruction was to Run: netplwiz to bring up user accounts.

When I did that, I saw that this location was the source for a truncated name that I did not like that was the default. I changed the truncated name to the name I wanted. BIG MISTAKE.

Now I am getting the error message RuntimeBroker. exe, No mapping between account names and security IDs was done. Nothing links from emails, printer/scanner not working, etc.

Settings does not work at all, so I can't get to a restore point (or at least I can't find a way there).

Now no one is listed as a User, unchecking the box does nothing, clicking on Add User does nothing.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

:)

ChrystinP, Aug 13, 2019

2. change windows 10 pc name

We appreciate you getting back to us. To change the cmd name, we suggest that you follow this steps:

• Open a Command Prompt (Adimin) window: Win+X, A, Alt+Y
    • Then run the following command to change your computer name to Donner: WMIC ComputerSystem where Name=COMPUTER-NAME call Rename Name=NewName
    • Reboot your PC.
    • Try to run ipconfig / all command, you should find that the Host Name in Windows IP Configuration list has been changed to the new name.

Keep us posted with the result.

Marilou Ser, Aug 13, 2019
  3. name changes??

If you desire a name change please do the following:

• Ask yourself if you really need a name change.
    • Make sure you have a good reason.
    • Know what you want your new name to be before you request a name change.
    • Send Urlyin a PM containing a decent explanation of your reason as well as your desired name.

Polaris573, Aug 13, 2019
  4. Kreij Win User

name changes??

How about TPU_Moms_Rule.

Just a suggestion *Smile Changed computer name and now many glitches and things not working :)

I agree with most people. Mod assisted name changes only.

Kreij, Aug 13, 2019
Thema:

1. Changed computer name and now many glitches and things not working - Similar Threads - Changed computer name

2. Changed my user account name and now several things are broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changed my user account name and now several things are broken: Hi all,I recently looked up how to change my user account name because it was using a part of my email address instead of a name I preferred. So I ran netplwiz and changed it. After applying this change, I can no longer access Settings or Control Panel at all, and I can't...
  3. Changed my user account name and now several things are broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changed my user account name and now several things are broken: Hi all,I recently looked up how to change my user account name because it was using a part of my email address instead of a name I preferred. So I ran netplwiz and changed it. After applying this change, I can no longer access Settings or Control Panel at all, and I can't...
  4. Changed my user account name and now several things are broken

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Help so many things not working!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help so many things not working!: Ok so there’s many things where if I click them they don’t open or do anything, I’ll list them now: Settings won’t open Can’t use search bar in left corner When I click the windows icon on desktop in left corner nothing happens Can’t open display settings Sea of thieves...
  6. SO many glitches....

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SO many glitches....: So, I have a laptop that is five months old and has got so many software problems since day one its not even funny. Especially since the last update. I know have a laptop that at random will not recognize the attached keyboard to allow me to log in. Then I have to restart...
  7. Many things not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Many things not working: I am using Windows 10 Pro . So earlier i was going across regedit and i was setting permissions to a group , nvm so later my screen just refreshed and actually i couldn't see half of my taskbar , it was like invisible . I could point the mouse to that and it would eventually...
  8. Changing the computer name?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing the computer name?: Hello everyone, I need help with changing my username on the computer. now the reason i want to do it because my username is on my language and because of that the computer cant locate games or installation programs. and i know there is a option to change in the settings....
  9. changed computer name now locked out of admin

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    changed computer name now locked out of admin: I changed the PC name and now I have no admin access so I am locked out of making any changes. how can I change it back? or am I hooped... *Sad 40828
  10. So many things don't work

in Windows 10 Support
    So many things don't work: Brand new Dell XPS 8900 with Windows 10 and IE 11. Tried everything I could find on Google to no avail. - Can't eliminate the initial password sign-in - Can't get Control Panel to stay with Large Icons - Can't get Google to be my default browser in lieu of Bing - Can't...