Windows 10: Changed CPU on my Device. Can't activate Windows 11 Pro again.

Discus and support Changed CPU on my Device. Can't activate Windows 11 Pro again. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I just installed a new CPU and it says I don't have an active product key wired to my account. But why did it work before? Makes no sense to me. Wasted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Ben4242, Jun 23, 2024.

1. Ben4242 Win User

Changed CPU on my Device. Can't activate Windows 11 Pro again.

I just installed a new CPU and it says I don't have an active product key wired to my account. But why did it work before? Makes no sense to me. Wasted money on a key. What can i do now?

:)

Ben4242, Jun 23, 2024

2. Windows 11 Pro activation key

Thanks for reaching out! I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you.

Have you tried logging in with the account linked to the digital license on your device? I've provided a few steps you can try including some more you can follow:

1. Link your Microsoft account: Ensure that your Microsoft account is linked to the digital license on your device. Go to Settings > Accounts > Your info and check if your Microsoft account is listed there. If not, click "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead" to link your account.
    2. Run the Activation Troubleshooter: Go to Settings > System > Activation, and click the "Troubleshoot" button. This will launch the Activation Troubleshooter, which can help reactivate Windows after a hardware change if your Microsoft account is linked correctly.
    3. Enter your existing product key: If the Troubleshooter doesn't resolve the issue, try entering your existing Windows 11 Pro product key. Go to Settings > System > Activation, and click "Change product key." Enter the key you used previously to upgrade to Windows 11 Pro.
    If you are still having issues after trying these steps, please let me know. I'll be happy to help.

Munkhbayar B., Jun 23, 2024
  3. Can I still upgrade to Windows 11 if I change the storage drive, CPU, and motherboard?

My PC does not meet the minimum requirements to upgrade to Windows 11 (Pro). In order to accommodate this upgrade I've bought a new storage drive, CPU, and motherboard. The new drive is much faster than the other drives, so I'd like to use it to store Windows instead of the original drive.

• Is it possible to immediately activate Windows 11 after I install it on the new drive using an installation disk?
    • In case activation isn't possible because I don't own Windows 11 yet, would it work if I installed Windows 10 first and then upgraded to Windows 11 instead?
    • Or would it not activate either copy of Windows 10 or 11 because my PC isn't recognized as the original due to the changed parts?
    I would very much appreciate any help or suggestions.

skipthijssen, Jun 23, 2024
  4. Changed CPU on my Device. Can't activate Windows 11 Pro again.

Activating Windows 11 after a hardware change

Thanks for reaching out! I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you.

Here is a step-by-step guide to help you reactivate your Windows 11:

1. Check Activation Status:
      • Open Settings.
      • Go to System > Activation.
      • Ensure that your Windows is listed as activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account.
    2. Link Microsoft Account:
      • If your Microsoft account is not linked, you need to link it first.
      • In Settings, go to Accounts and ensure your Microsoft account is linked to your Windows.
    3. Run Activation Troubleshooter:
      • Go to Settings > System > Activation.
      • Click on Troubleshoot.
      • The troubleshooter will detect that Windows can't be activated on your device.
    4. Select Hardware Change Option:
      • In the troubleshooter, select I changed hardware on this device recently.
    5. Sign In to Microsoft Account:
      • Enter your Microsoft account credentials.
      • From the list of devices linked to your Microsoft account, select the checkbox next to This is the device I’m using right now.
      • If you don’t see your device, ensure you are signed in with the correct Microsoft account.
    6. Activate Windows:
      • Click Activate.
    If you encounter issues where the edition does not match, it is likely because the digital license linked to your account is for Windows 10 Home, and you are now running Windows 11 Home. This mismatch can sometimes cause activation issues.

• Edition Mismatch: If the troubleshooter indicates an edition mismatch, ensure that you are using the same edition of Windows that was originally linked to your digital license. In your case, both should be Home editions, so this should not be an issue.
    • Correct Microsoft Account: Double-check that you are using the same Microsoft account that was linked to your digital license.
    Please do let me know if the method I suggested works for you or if you need further assistance.

Munkhbayar B., Jun 23, 2024
Thema:

Changed CPU on my Device. Can't activate Windows 11 Pro again.

1. Changed CPU on my Device. Can't activate Windows 11 Pro again. - Similar Threads - Changed CPU Device

2. Changed CPU on my Device. Can't activate Windows 11 Pro again.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changed CPU on my Device. Can't activate Windows 11 Pro again.: I just installed a new CPU and it says I don't have an active product key wired to my account. But why did it work before? Makes no sense to me. Wasted money on a key. What can i do now?...
  3. Windows 11 will not activate after CPU change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 will not activate after CPU change: Hey Everyone,I own a legitimate Windows license, been using it for years without issue. I recently upgraded my PC's CPU from and AMD 7700X to and AMD 7800X3D and now I have the "Activate Windows" watermark in the lower right hand corner. When I try to re-activate windows...
  4. Windows 11 will not activate after CPU change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 will not activate after CPU change: Hey Everyone,I own a legitimate Windows license, been using it for years without issue. I recently upgraded my PC's CPU from and AMD 7700X to and AMD 7800X3D and now I have the "Activate Windows" watermark in the lower right hand corner. When I try to re-activate windows...
  5. windows 11 activation - device changed

windows 11 activation - device changed: Hello,I own a windows 10 product and I also bought a windows 11 key, when I am trying to activate the new win11 key it says "unable to activate, device has changed"I am struggling to figure out what is wrong with my account....
  6. CPU Change With Activated TPM in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU Change With Activated TPM in Windows 11: Dear Microsoft Community,Situation:I recently replaced my old CPU Ryzen 5 2600 with a Ryzen 5 5600, see system information belowFailed to consider that TPM was activated; I did not use TPM for BitLocker/drive encryptionThe first boot up showed the following message:Initially,...
  7. CPU Change With Activated TPM in Windows 11

CPU Change With Activated TPM in Windows 11: Dear Microsoft Community,Situation:I recently replaced my old CPU Ryzen 5 2600 with a Ryzen 5 5600, see system information belowFailed to consider that TPM was activated; I did not use TPM for BitLocker/drive encryptionThe first boot up showed the following message:Initially,...
  8. Can't Activate Windows Pro 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Activate Windows Pro 11: I bought a Windows 11 Pro in the store to upgrade my Windows 11 Home.Now my activation page says Enterprise and I can Activate.I dont see an Product Keys in the store to use for this.Help !...
  9. Can't Activate Windows Pro 11

Can't Activate Windows Pro 11: I bought a Windows 11 Pro in the store to upgrade my Windows 11 Home.Now my activation page says Enterprise and I can Activate.I dont see an Product Keys in the store to use for this.Help !...
  10. Can't activate window 10 pro after motherboard and cpu change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't activate window 10 pro after motherboard and cpu change: My motherboard and cpu die recently so I decided to do a small upgrade. After installing the new motherboard and cpu, get everything up and running, i got a notification to activate window. I follow the troubleshooter but still unable to activate so I remove the pc and try to...