Windows 10: Changed email associated with Microsoft account, now I've lost all my settings, login info,...

Discus and support Changed email associated with Microsoft account, now I've lost all my settings, login info,... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I had changed the email address associated with my Microsoft account about a month ago, and so I was getting periodic notifications that there was a... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by SteveHowlett1701, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Changed email associated with Microsoft account, now I've lost all my settings, login info,...

I had changed the email address associated with my Microsoft account about a month ago, and so I was getting periodic notifications that there was a problem with my MS account. After updating and restarting the most recent time on Saturday evening, I was told I needed to fix the issue with the MS account, so I signed in with the updated credentials.

After doing so, I was able to use my computer as normal, but looking at Explorer, there appeared to be no files. An initial wave of panic set in, but I found that the files from before I had to sign into the account with the new email were still there; they're located in C:\Users\John John isn't the actual username fwiw. Also in C:\Users are two additional folders, "Public" and "TEMP". It appears that at the moment I'm operating as TEMP, as the contents are identical to the files that show up in my Downloads folder for instance.

I looked into switching users, but there's no option to switch to John*, only an option to switch to a local account called ASP.NET Machine Account. Is there any way to get back to my old user? I would prefer to do so if possible because all of my settings and non-MS accounts were located there, so it would be a tremendous hassle to set them all up again.

I'm also curious as to whether I'm currently a temporary user. The files from when I was logged into my old MS credentials are in the User folder for John* while any files from after the new email was used are under TEMP.

I've seen plenty of people discussing changing the email address associated with their MS account, but nobody I've found so far is in the predicament I'm in where they have logged in with a new email and lost their settings.

Thanks in advance.

:)

SteveHowlett1701, Sep 8, 2020
  2. otosnede Win User

User account info lost after changing login email

Changed email associated with Microsoft account, now I've lost all my settings, login info,... [​IMG]

I recently changed my main Microsoft account login email and after doing so, all my 10 machines no longer show my name on the login screen (shows my email address twice) or in the Start menu (only shows the email address) and as you can see in the above screenshot, permissions no longer show as my login and email address.

Things I've done so far to try and correct it:
    1. Change my account to local login, then back to my Microsoft login, which temporarily corrected it, but then after a few restarts, the info gets lost again
    2. Manually added my name in Computer Management > System Tools > Local Users and Groups > Users... this fixed it, but again, only until a restart
    Has anyone else experienced something like this and no of a way to correct it (and make it stick)?

otosnede, Sep 8, 2020
  3. Arun B J Win User
    change microsoft account email

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

If you need to change the email address associated with the user account, first you have to switch the login account to

Local user account. Then switch back to Microsoft account and provide the desired Email ID to that user account.

Follow the steps below and check if it helps

• Go to All settings.

• Select Accounts.

• Sign in with Local account instead and follow the on screen instructions.

• And again change it Microsoft account provide the new Microsoft Email account.

Sign in with a Microsoft account

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-microsoft-account

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Sep 8, 2020
  4. joya Win User

Changed email associated with Microsoft account, now I've lost all my settings, login info,...

User account info lost after changing login email

Every time you log on to Windows 10 with Microsoft account, the system will connect to Microsoft's online server for synchronizing the name associated with your online email account. Log on to your Microsoft account via Sign in to your Microsoft account and check if your name is set up properly.

joya, Sep 8, 2020
Thema:

Changed email associated with Microsoft account, now I've lost all my settings, login info,...

1. Changed email associated with Microsoft account, now I've lost all my settings, login info,... - Similar Threads - Changed email associated

2. Changing email associated with account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing email associated with account: What happens if I change my email address on my primary and only account? I’ve added and verified the new email, but I’m concerned that something unexpected might happen when I lose my current email I’ve no option to keep it as my ISP will delete it...
  3. Changing email associated with account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing email associated with account: What happens if I change my email address on my primary and only account? I’ve added and verified the new email, but I’m concerned that something unexpected might happen when I lose my current email I’ve no option to keep it as my ISP will delete it...
  4. Changing email associated with account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Change email associated with Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change email associated with Microsoft account: Hi,Last night when logging on to my PC I accidentally clicked on 'forgot password'. There were no issues as I simply clicked cancel and continued. However, I did notice that the re-set information was going to be sent to an old email address that I no longer use and which...
  6. Change email associated with Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change email associated with Microsoft account: Hi,Last night when logging on to my PC I accidentally clicked on 'forgot password'. There were no issues as I simply clicked cancel and continued. However, I did notice that the re-set information was going to be sent to an old email address that I no longer use and which...
  7. Change email associated with Microsoft account

8. Changed my email for my Microsoft account and now can no longer login

Changed my email for my Microsoft account and now can no longer login: So i used to use yahoo for my microsoft account and recently updated it to my gmail. Now even with the correct login information it wont let me sign in when i want to open an application or any pop-up appears for a sign in. It is very frustrating as I can sign in on the web...
  9. how to change the email address associated with my Microsoft account?

how to change the email address associated with my Microsoft account?: When I opened my Microsoft account many years ago, I used my then-current email address. That same email address is not my current email address anymore. I want to update my Microsoft account with my current email address. How do I change the email address associated with...
  10. User account info lost after changing login email

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User account info lost after changing login email: [img] I recently changed my main Microsoft account login email and after doing so, all my 10 machines no longer show my name on the login screen (shows my email address twice) or in the Start menu (only shows the email address) and as you can see in the above screenshot,...